Sirius/XM car radios.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Are there any car radios out the that I can just attach my existing antenna to so I don't have to purchase MORE hardware? I searched very hard and didn't find anything.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Are there any car radios out the that I can just attach my existing antenna to so I don't have to purchase MORE hardware? I searched very hard and didn't find anything.

Your existing FM antenna? Your existing satellite antenna?
What is there now that you are you looking to replace?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I believe that if you buy a unit to attach to your head unit, you can get an adapter to convert its antenna in to the one on a PnP or portable satrad.

I would call TSS about it. If they don't have it, I do vaguelly recall many years ago Ryan from XMFAN selling them. He may or may not still do that. XM units of course (it was before the merger).

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I believe that if you buy a unit to attach to your head unit, you can get an adapter to convert its antenna in to the one on a PnP or portable satrad.

I would call TSS about it. If they don't have it, I do vaguelly recall many years ago Ryan from XMFAN selling them. He may or may not still do that. XM units of course (it was before the merger).
Thats the thing, I don't want to by any add ons. I just want to plug the Satrad antenna into it and be gold.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Thats the thing, I don't want to by any add ons. I just want to plug the Satrad antenna into it and be gold.

The Antenna is an easy thing to solve. But if you want an OEM type functional radio you will also need the tuner (the piece that can decipher what the Satellites are sending) and a translator/interface (the piece that explains to your cars software how to display that info).

A lot of cars are Satellite Radio Ready. That means they have the capability to receive Satellite Radio but doesn't mean all they need is an antenna or subscription. More often than not they would need the OEM Tuner and Translator. Or just the OEM Tuner.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
The Antenna is an easy thing to solve. But if you want an OEM type functional radio you will also need the tuner (the piece that can decipher what the Satellites are sending) and a translator/interface (the piece that explains to your cars software how to display that info).

A lot of cars are Satellite Radio Ready. That means they have the capability to receive Satellite Radio but doesn't mean all they need is an antenna or subscription. More often than not they would need the OEM Tuner and Translator. Or just the OEM Tuner.
Thanks Taylor.

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla S and ordered it with Satellite Radio. The dealership installed it, and put an antenna on the trunk and sealed it down. I wasn't happy, because the car has a built-in Satellite Radio antenna on the roof. Sometimes the dealerships don't know either!