Sirius XM (SIRI) Ends Production Of All Sirius Dock And Play Radios

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I can't believe I did not suggest TSS in the first place. Definatly preferable over e-bay as you never know what you will get from the bay.

jgboys1

Nov 28, 2008
Well, the SUBX2 Boombox ( I now have two ) was recently purchased so I can't see spending upwards of $100.00 on something then getting rid of it at a loss within a few months and my home docks and stuff are mint.
Point is ( for me ) is at this time, I just don't have "Disposable" money to re-purchase all new equipment to switch to XM.
I think I will just buy another Sirius Radio and hope eventually the come up with some kind of adapter for the Boomboxes and Home kits to make them compatible for XM radios much like the Portable Speaker Dock my Fiance' just purchased for me....
...it wouldn't be much of an issue for me then to switch.....if I had too...

Hi 289 and welcome.
I am also heavily invested in Sirius equipment, so it was a concern for me also, but I read on the Tss Radio site that there is no plan to shutdown the sirius satellite radio service anytime soon, so hopefully we can get at least 10-15 more years of use, out of our current Sirius equipment.

BR289

Apr 13, 2011
Hi 289 and welcome.
I am also heavily invested in Sirius equipment, so it was a concern for me also, but I read on the Tss Radio site that there is no plan to shutdown the sirius satellite radio service anytime soon, so hopefully we can get at least 10-15 more years of use, out of our current Sirius equipment.

Well, I am hoping that too...... and it seems their website only says "Temporarily out of stock" on certain items and that maybe they plan to produce more Sirius equipment eventually and they may only be doing this to sell more XM stuff and get more XM subscribers for awhile....

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
For those needing a plug and play they seem to be on the shelves of various Walmart stores collecting dust.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
A parent who has 3 kids in the back of the van who suddenly decide they're sick of their Dora DVDs will probably give testament to it's worth.

The kids probably don't even care that it isn't those three channels live.

(Right? While you would get Nick, Cartoon Network, and Disney, it's not the same feed as when you turn your TV on...right?)

Or whatever channels they are. I could care less.

What they should have done was sign deals with the various sports channels like ESPN and the Big Ten Network...all of a sudden, you've tapped into the tailgating market. And for even $30 a month, it's a lot more affordable than a satellite TV system, if that's all you care about.

JKoltner

Sep 16, 2010
What they should have done was sign deals with the various sports channels like ESPN and the Big Ten Network...all of a sudden, you've tapped into the tailgating market.

They just didn't have the bandwidth for it -- one of the nice thing about cartoons is that they require *very* little bandwidth... plus the target demographic isn't nearly as critical about image quality in the first place.

The total Sirius bandwidth is something like 4.5Mbps, and you can figure that of that around half is just error-correction coding, so out the the remaining couple of Mbps, they have to squeeze in 100+ audio channels, so there just isn't much left over for video!

---Joel