Sirius XMU

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by SIRIUSaboutXM, May 13, 2013.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I took the liberty of compiling this from dogstarradio.com. It's a snapshot (from this morning) of their most heavily rotated songs:
    upload_2016-9-1_11-24-57.png
    So these 7 songs are constantly being repeated (in order). On top of that, there's a secondary set of songs that are on the next heaviest rotation, about once every 4 hours. So essentially it's an indie Top 20.
    HecticArt likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's just lazy....
  3. scotchandcigar

I've once again noticed the heavy repetition of songs on XMU, so I took a 9 hour sample from dogstarradio, and this is what I got.

For 9 hours of programming:

59 promos (that's one every 9 minutes, about every 3rd song);
    14 songs repeated twice each;
    5 songs repeated 3 times each;
    139 total songs played (probably 3.5 minutes avg, once you factor out the promo time).

So every 12.5 minutes, I'm hearing a repeated song. That's every 3rd or 4th song. Add to that the artists that are played multiple times, but with a variety of songs: LCD Soundsystem (3), Radiohead (4), St. Vincent (3), Strokes (4), Tame Impala (3), plus a bunch more artists played twice.

This would be acceptable for top 40 radio, but this is supposed to be the most adventurous variety of new music.

On the other hand, I get to hear some of the best new music, stuff that will likely have a lasting impact, rather than a random shuffling of offbeat garage bands. And the repetition really drills it into my head. Plus they do a great Old School feature a couple of times per week.
    semipenguin likes this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If 5 songs are repeated 3x's each over 9 hours, isn't that once every 3 hours, and 4 1/2 hours for the 14 2 timers?

Either way the math works, I agree that when they get into heavy rotation, it's a drag. It should be very easy for them to stay ahead of the curve.
  5. scotchandcigar

Yes, that's the repetition frequency for each of those songs. But if you look at all of the repeated songs in total, then any one of those songs is playing every 12.5 minutes.
    HecticArt likes this.
  6. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I didn't know. I just listen to the Gorilla & Bear Show. They should play more songs
  7. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I just heard this today on XMU

I have a couple of Regina Spektor's albums from about ten years ago.

This song is my favorite

scotchandcigar and HecticArt like this.
  8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Small Bill$ is cool.
    semipenguin likes this.
  9. scotchandcigar

I just bought the CD for my daughter. I'll make an mp3 for myself.
    semipenguin likes this.