SiriusXM Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'SiriusXM 2.0' started by TSS Taylor, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

Yes, I will do a review of my radio. That is one of goals of things to do this spring.

2. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

So some huge news. There are a lot of radios offered now and I think 6 months to a year there won't be the same variety in offerings. Which means if you like something now buy it.

Things likely to be going away. It doesn't mean the radios are good or bad but probably more a financial thing. IE maybe the radios didn't sell well enough or simply marketing/promoting them cost too much. There are advantages to carrying a lot of models and advantages from making the radio buying decision simply. So here are things I think you will be hard pressed to find by Fall/Winter of 2013/2014
    -Lynx
    -Skydock
    -Snap
    -SCC1 Tuner
    -Starmate 8
    -Edge
    -XMP3i

Some new things. There will be some changes to the Onyx. I think they will have a base Onyx and a premium Onyx. From what I know about the Premium Onyx I'm super excited about it. And they will have a Sirius Plug and Play radio, which for a few years they always warn might be going away. But it's safe to say there should be one available for at least a year from now if not longer.

Just know that if you want a feature rich Sirius Plug and Play or a SiriusXM Portable you really should bite the bullet before it's too late.

3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

They are already planning on it's end? Damn. That's too soon. :(
    Hopefully the premium Onyx will have some of the fun stuff the Lynx has.

4. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

When they moved the price of the Kits to $19.99 from $70 that was a huge move and I think indicated they wanted to make sure they eventually moved out in more of a permanent way.

I think the Premium Onyx will be more of a combo between the current Onyx and the Edge. I know the screen and display and WHAT will be displayed will be fantastic. I just wouldn't expect any Wifi connectivity or live Portable type stuff.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

So is it a possibility that there won't be any radios that would be 2.0 capable? I know it's all speculation right now......

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I'm guessing the new Onyx' will get the Xtra channels. But can't imagine anything as feature rich and internet connected like the Lynx.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

I am not sure why they wouldn't be keeping the Lynx particularly since they seem to be promoting the new internet features.

But I guess I will have company in the owners of dead hardware club.

8. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I just bought the Lynx few months ago and it might be going away soon? :rolleyes:

9. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

Just like on Mission Impossible? It will self-destruct in... :eek:

10. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Well my brother-in-law wanted to buy a new unit, so he can listen to MLB and reduce his monthly price tag. Because he has like 2 units already and I told him about these new 2.0 units and and all he said is, "Oh there a bit pricey and I would have to change out all my equipment." So what, but instead he bought an Onyx couple weeks ago and now paying for 3 units. Now he complain about paying more each month. :rolleyes: Yes, my brother-in-law can be an idiot sometimes. He a bit lazy, to carry the units around him, so now he has one just for the car, office and home.

I just pay for 2 units, one built-in my car and the lynx which is used mainly for the internet feed. I carry my lynx to home and the office everyday, I was thickening of installing the lynx in my car, but I can't get the new 2.0 channels in the car. I could just use my iPhone for 2.0 channels in the car, because that receives data, but I don't like racking up my data, because I get an warning text that your data is slowing down, even though I have an unlimited plan.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  11. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

It all comes down to the cost of the Lynx to the company. And I don't think they ever made money on it. It might be a great piece for consumers but doubt it was for the company. It reminds me of some businesses that use Groupon. They might offer a $20 1 hour massage but that can't last financially for very long. The customers loved it but the finances weren't in the right place.

12. SIRIUSaboutXM

So, you're saying they will quit making the Lynx? Will they keep supporting it with firmware updates?

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Yeah, that part of it adds up, but it seems that they must have invested a LOT to get the Lynx developed and on the market. It just seems like a pretty short lifespan for that kind of up front money. I'm sure thay must be seeng data that's point the way for them, but I'm still a bit surprised how quiclky they are moving on.

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I wouldn't hold my breath for more than one or two updates. But that's just me guessing.

15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

That why, I was iffy about buying the Lynx. It sure does look pretty sweet, like how the old Stiletto were. But they simply stop making them, now I own a Lynx and it could be obsolete soon, until something better comes along the line. It almost easier to own a built-in radio for the car, where it never goes out of date.

16. SIRIUSaboutXM

Wow- this is really some terrible news- does this mean MySXM will not make it to the Lynx?

Just checked and SiriusXM no longer sells it! It sends you to "Other Retailers"!

17. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Maybe siriusxm.com wasn't making much money from it and realized it would be easier to buy it from other retailers?

18. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

I always noticed that the Lynx was never listed listed as part of the MySXM platform, and never got the "Coming Soon" sticker on it either.

19. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Probably the same support they give the SL2. Firmware development is no doubt part of the cost.

20. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I think most here would agree they've done a great job with updates for the Lynx and I bet we will see more of them.