SiriusXM Buyers Guide

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I've been stocking up on some old XM Commander MT radios. Even there, though, I sort of figure I have more radios than the future calls for.

I figure:
- My Sirius radio will be fine in my car for a good number of years to come (SCC1)
- Whenever they say, "Ok - No more Sirius!" then I've got a few XM radios to rely on, by then, though, I bet I'm just streaming everything (SiriusXM, Pandora, etc.). I bet that 2 or 3 cars out that I'm not screwing with radios.

XM Commander MTs are something installers try to get their hands on a lot. Those and the old Sirius Starbase's were a really cool option.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So what the heck is the future of the radios?

Phone/internet access -- Which will stink if people use half their phone battery in a few hours of radio listening at work or at the gym, whatever.

OEM car radios

Plug and play?

tssrichard

May 17, 2010
My understanding is that they will have a few plug and plays still in production. The Onyx EZ, Onyx Pro, and the Starmate 7. As far as portable radios go, there is not a plan to replace those, to my knowledge. My guess is they assume smartphone apps will cover that end of things. Though I agree there is certainly an oversight there. We will do our best at TSS Radio, to provide parts for all radios as long as we can.
-Richard

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm really liking my lynx. I was in the market to get one earlier this year and decided it was old enough that I would just wait until they released the new version and then get it and transfer my lifetime to it. Once I found out that wasn't happening I got one. One of my favorite features is how it is always recording the five main presets I have so that when I switch channels then it starts at the beginning of the current song instead of where it is at that time. I don't remember seeing any mention of that feature and while it may be a small one, it really does make flipping around between channels SO much better than a regular radio.

The lynx is a little buggy and it is embarrassing that it's several years old and still as buggy as it is, but I'll take pulling the battery a few times a week to restart it to get all of the other really cool features it has.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I just sold my lynx and xmp3i at the pawn shop today..I feel empty inside...oh well, I still have my trusty SL2 still ticking and an extra xpressrci ... it was time to downsize my collection,

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
The lynx is a little buggy and it is embarrassing that it's several years old and still as buggy as it is, but I'll take pulling the battery a few times a week to restart it to get all of the other really cool features it has.

This is why I've stayed away from the Lynx. For all of the "Woo Hoo! SiriusXM 2.0!!!" stuff (which, if you look in the real world wasn't much), the Lynx seems to be buggy and always, "nearly ready," by most. If you look at the older units, excepting for a few, they just worked. I had a SkyFi and a Sportster and I never had to settle for pulling the batteries so it'd boot up again so I could use it. What I did get was: "Turn it on. It works!"

I've even been tempted by the Xpress RC but it looks like while I wouldn't have to reboot it, I could expect the display to go out after a year.

I just want something that works and that I don't have to nurse along. The Lynx, for all it's bells and whistles, doesn't sound like it fits the bill for me.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is why I've stayed away from the Lynx. For all of the "Woo Hoo! SiriusXM 2.0!!!" stuff (which, if you look in the real world wasn't much), the Lynx seems to be buggy and always, "nearly ready," by most. If you look at the older units, excepting for a few, they just worked. I had a SkyFi and a Sportster and I never had to settle for pulling the batteries so it'd boot up again so I could use it. What I did get was: "Turn it on. It works!"

I've even been tempted by the Xpress RC but it looks like while I wouldn't have to reboot it, I could expect the display to go out after a year.

I just want something that works and that I don't have to nurse along. The Lynx, for all it's bells and whistles, doesn't sound like it fits the bill for me.

Yeah, I understand but it can do SO much more than those other radios that it's worth it for me. It's similar to how I never had to restart or deal with bugs on my old Motorola flip phone compared to my smartphone. No way you could get me to go back to that old phone. I only have to restart it a few times a week so I'm inconvenienced for a few minutes a week. I'm also a heavy user. Probably have used it at least 60 hours a week for the few weeks I've had it.

My old Sirius radio had some flaws too. It would do this weird thing every once in a while where it played the audio at like half speed and would only stop doing it if I restarted it. Only difference is the lynx takes longer to reboot.

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I have the xpressrci and I love it, had it for a year now and going good.

It looks like a really nice unit. I love the color display and the channel icons. I hope yours isn't one of the ones where the display goes out. I just read enough of the display going out both here and on Amazon that I thought, "Pass on that one."

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, I understand but it can do SO much more than those other radios that it's worth it for me. It's similar to how I never had to restart or deal with bugs on my old Motorola flip phone compared to my smartphone. No way you could get me to go back to that old phone. I only have to restart it a few times a week so I'm inconvenienced for a few minutes a week. I'm also a heavy user. Probably have used it at least 60 hours a week for the few weeks I've had it.

My old Sirius radio had some flaws too. It would do this weird thing every once in a while where it played the audio at like half speed and would only stop doing it if I restarted it. Only difference is the lynx takes longer to reboot.

I know what you're saying about phones. It was one of the reasons I stuck with Nokias just talk/text phones for years. The early smart phones were garbage. It wasn't until the iPhone that they finally started being decent. I stayed away from the iPhone for years because of the previous crappy smart phones. My iPhone really doesn't crash on me or need a reboot. It's really stable.

From what I've read, the Lynx is comparatively far more stable than those early smart phones. It just sounds like (from reading here and on Amazon) that it's just not quite there yet in terms of stability. It's a pretty looking device, though.

With the current generation of smart phones your phone will get firmware updates to fix those issues. With products like the Lynx, once the development is done with them they tend to shut down the development down and move on so you're stuck with whatever you have and that's as good as it's going to get.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I just sold my lynx and xmp3i at the pawn shop today..I feel empty inside...oh well, I still have my trusty SL2 still ticking and an extra xpressrci ... it was time to downsize my collection,

We do a buyback program at TSS and really try to push it. Sirius XM Radio Buyback Program

But can I ask what you got at the Pawnshop for those units? I can't imagine selling to a Pawnshop vs Ebay unless it was jewelry or something universal like that.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I saw the Onyx Pro 2.0 radio at that one store. I guess it's ok. Looks like an Onyx. Has 20 presets instead of 10. Looks like you can create your own playlist but otherwise not much different in features from the Edge. Doesn't look like you can do any recording for later playback. Good price though $69.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I think the Onyx Pro is awesome. It will be a Best Buy exclusive for a while before getting released elsewhere unless something changes. But knowing what they are doing with the product lines by simplifying things I think the Onyx Pro is a homerun.

Satradiodude

Aug 7, 2011
The Onyx Plus is a pretty sweet radio as Taylor hinted a few months back.
It has some of the features of the Lynx/and the Sportster combined for a lower price.

Just curious , But because the radio offers Album Art without an internet stream, would it be possible that the Edge is SW upgradable to receive eventually?

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Just read about the Onyx Plus. I like the album art display, tune start, mix and scan. Added extras are the vehicle dock and power connect. It's a power packed plug and play for customers wanting to carry their replays to and from a boombox or vehicle.

T

tdevine

Just curious , But because the radio offers Album Art without an internet stream, would it be possible that the Edge is SW upgradable to receive eventually?

Since the Edge has no internet capability for software updates probably not. The firmware the radio comes with is all it ever gets.

I saw the Onyx Pro 2.0 radio at that one store. I guess it's ok. Looks like an Onyx. Has 20 presets instead of 10. Looks like you can create your own playlist but otherwise not much different in features from the Edge. Doesn't look like you can do any recording for later playback. Good price though $69.

Where are you seeing it for $69? The Best Buy website has it listed for $99.99.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Where are you seeing it for $69? The Best Buy website has it listed for $99.99.

I saw it last week at the east Madison Best Buy location for $69. Radio and vehicle kit. I guess that would make it a good deal if it's really going to sell for $99.

Now I didn't look at the shelf tag real good. It's possible they put the Onyx Pro's in the spot where the Onyx EZ's would go. And I would have been told the actual price is $99. Maybe i'll go back and take another look.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I went back this afternoon. The Onyx Pro was on a new display with the SXBB2 boom box. It was priced at $99 while the Onyx EZ was at $49. I got to see the album cover screen. But for some reason it defaulted to the screen that's available on the Edge, when I started messing with some of the buttons. Like it may be available for a short amount of time when you switch channels or a new song starts, then goes away to the standard screen.

Satradiodude

Aug 7, 2011
I got to see the album cover screen. But for some reason it defaulted to the screen that's available on the Edge, when I started messing with some of the buttons. Like it may be available for a short amount of time when you switch channels or a new song starts, then goes away to the standard screen.

Were you in Demo mode?- I picked one up yesterday and the Album Art remains on throughout the song.
I did notice that sometimes the album art does not appear with some popular songs- they just may need to be loaded into the system eventually, or it's not available as the full manual on line states "When available"

BB had The Edge on clearance for $118 - with less features than the Onyx Plus for $99 so as Taylor mentioned previous Edge/Lynx radios are going away.

I hope that on 10/18 when CC finally goes away- they take the 2.0 latino channels to 1.0 and then have the BW to move some of the new internet only's (Beautiful music, 90's-2k dance, etc to 2.0 radio's)- So you can hear all over not just internet- :)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sirius-xm-ceo-committed-keeping-637323

Last edited: