SiriusXM Catch of the Day

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Heard two songs on 80s on 8 today that mentioned Doris Day.

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

You take the grey skies out of my way (hoo, hoo)
You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day

We Didn't Start the Fire

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggi

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think the hook would be considered a blues fundamental or something.
Unless the Keys are moonlighting, I think the HD commercial came out earlier.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"And now, here is guest-host Me with another Catch Of The Day." Thank you, Me. Singer and guitarist Jeff Walls died yesterday, May 29, after a lengthy pulmonary disease. He was a member of Guadalcanal Diary, an alternative-rock band which formed in 1981 in Marietta, Georgia and took its name from the title of a 1943 memoir written by International News Service war correspondent Richard Tregaskis, who had spent six weeks with the Marines at Guadalcanal during World War II. Guadalcanal Diary released five albums, one EP and nine singles. Here is their 1987 version of the Beatles' And Your Bird Can Sing:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
"And now, here is guest-host Me with another Catch Of The Day." Thank you, Me. Singer and guitarist Jeff Walls died yesterday, May 29, after a lengthy pulmonary disease. He was a member of Guadalcanal Diary, an alternative-rock band which formed in 1981 in Marietta, Georgia and took its name from the title of a 1943 memoir written by International News Service war correspondent Richard Tregaskis, who had spent six weeks with the Marines at Guadalcanal during World War II. Guadalcanal Diary released five albums, one EP and nine singles. Here is their 1987 version of the Beatles' And Your Bird Can Sing:

Cool. What Sirius XM channel can you find them on?

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The Loft, online channel 710, plays a few Guadalcanal Diary songs including Litany, Almost Saturday and Pretty Is As Pretty Does. Occasionally a Guadalcanal Diary song gets played on Underground Garage, channel 21 – including this one:

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The garage-rock band Grains Of Sand, originally known as the Rockin' Bugs, formed in early 1965 in Los Angeles and released only three singles before breaking up in 1969. Each single was on a different label and none of them ever got played on Los Angeles radio – but their third single, Nice Girl, was a huge hit in, of all places, Bakersfield, where it reached #2 on the KIFM Top 30 in September 1967, behind the Box Tops' The Letter. Hurry and listen!

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mike Love is an original member of the Beach Boys and the owner of the Beach Boys name. He performs with three other guys as The Beach Boys while his former bandmates Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and their band perform as "Brian Wilson & Friends." Mike released a new single today, California Beach. It is available as a digital download and via streaming services and will be included on his 12 Sides Of Summer CD, which also includes remakes of Summertime Blues, Rockaway Beach, Here Comes The Sun, It's OK (with Hanson), Surfin' and The Girl From Ipanema and will be released July 19. Here is California Beach:

Reactions: Aaron

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This Hobo Johnson song that they have been playing on Alt Nation is pretty fun.
Typical Story
Crazy Video.
It looks like they had a good time making it.

I consider myself very much in-touch with the leading edge of contemporary alt-rock music. I know about the latest from Sharon Van Etten, the collaboration of Karen O and Danger Mouse, new Vampire Weekend, Cherry Glazerr's cover of LCD Soundsystem, the new Mitski album. But I find that I'm much more comfortable listening to XMU for long stretches, rather than Alt Nation, because of songs like that. It's one of those times where I resign myself to the fact that I'm not in the target generation for that stuff.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
To me it's fun, a little weird and quirky, and chunky in a popish kind of a way.
I couldn't listen to 2 hours of similar stuff, but it's a nice departure from a lot of the typical stuff they play.
I bounce pretty regularly between Alt Nation, First Wave, XMU, and Lithium.
I'll bounce over to 4 or 5 other stations typically, but not constantly.