SiriusXM Introduces SiriusXM Edge, the First 2.0 Satellite Radio to Support the Expan

Discussion in 'SiriusXM 2.0' started by admin, Oct 17, 2011.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Sirius XM Radio today introduced the*SiriusXM Edge Dock*and Play Radio, the first satellite radio able to receive an expanded lineup of commercial-free music channels, sports, and comedy, as well as SiriusXM Latino, a new suite of Spanish-language channels.

[​IMG]

The launch of SiriusXM Edge is part of the first phase of SiriusXM 2.0, a major upgrade and evolution of SiriusXM’s satellite and Internet delivered service that will ultimately span hardware, software, audio, and data services. By employing highly efficient modulation and compression techniques introduced as part of 2.0 technology that effectively delivers 25% more bandwidth capacity, SiriusXM will expand its audio and data services without affecting the broadcast quality of existing channels.

SiriusXM Edge will be sold in stores nationwide and is available at*www.shop.siriusxm.com at an MSRP of*$139.99.

“We are excited to begin the SiriusXM 2.0 rollout with the new Edge radio,” said*Jim Meyer, President, Operations and Sales, SiriusXM. “Edge will be available at 2,500 retail locations by the holiday shopping season. Additional radios and features in upcoming phases of 2.0 will bring even more content and capabilities to our satellite and internet platforms, all providing exciting complements to our core radio services for subscribers.”

The easy-to-use SiriusXM Edge receives all of the channels of previous satellite radios, allows customers to pause, rewind and replay live satellite radio programming, and boasts a large color graphic display to view artist name, song or show title, and channel information.

[​IMG]

Edge also offers features for enjoying satellite radio, including:

• Browse other channels while listening to the current one.
    • Store up to 10 favorite channels for one-touch access.
    • Lock and unlock channels with mature content using easy-to-use parental control.
    • One-Touch Jumpâ„¢ to traffic and weather conditions to the most congested cities, or back to the previous channel.
    SiriusXM Edge comes with a complete*PowerConnect vehicle kit plus its universal docking capability makes it easy to transfer between compatible docks and sound systems for the home, office, a second vehicle or portable use.

SiriusXM Edge receives the expanded channel lineup from SiriusXM, including new commercial-free music channels plus new sports and comedy channels including channels created with the*Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,*ESPN SportsCenter, comedy legend*George Carlin and*Upright Citizens Brigade.

SiriusXM Edge receives the full SiriusXM Latino channel lineup. SiriusXM Latino is the most comprehensive Latin programming lineup available to radio listeners, including exclusive commercial-free music channels and a wide variety of music genres, including tropical, salsa, merengue, Latin pop hits, Latin hip-hop, Latin rock classics and more.

Listeners will also get 24/7 news and talk from*RadioFormula Mexico, the leading radio broadcaster from*Mexico; sexy, smart, refined and exclusive adult programming showcasing Latin talent on*Playboy Radio en Espanol; and Spanish-language coverage of world-class professional sports on multiple Deportes en Vivo channels. SiriusXM Latino will also include Cristina Radio from Iconic talk show host*Cristina Saralegui, and featuring lifestyle, health and family programming for Latinas. Cristina Radio, produced by*National Latino Broadcasting, is launching in the coming months.

For more information on the new channel lineup in English and Spanish, please visit*www.siriusxm.com/newchannels and*www.siriusxm.com/latino.

---
    View the original Article at Digital Radio Magazine or discuss it here.

2. voliconjoe

voliconjoe Well-Known Member

Carlins corner????? George carlin has his own channel?????????

3. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

I'm guessing I would NOT be able to use my existing Antenna Cable would I?

If so awesome I think I'm going to end up getting this, However if not I probably wont, my Antenna was professionally installed (By the dealer when moving my old radio to from my old car to my new car)

Everything else power/dock I can easily remove and move/replace.

4. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Any xm or sirius antenna should work, I think. They are usually interchangeble

5. Manco

Manco Active Member

Could a lifetime membership be transferred to this radio?

6. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

From what I heard, yes. I think I saw at least two others either here or on XMfan that had a sirius radio and an xm radio seperately on lifetime and they waived the transfer fee and got it working with no extra charge. Best way to find out is call up and present your case to them.

Manco likes this.
  7. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I decided to get an EDGE radio and had it activitied Friday and hooked it up to my Vizio soundbar. I already had the home dock and remote from my Onyx. I also got the discount rate on the subscription since I kept my Onyx. I'll use the Onyx with my portable boombox now. I don't notice a difference in sound quality compared to the Onyx. But both are very good with the soundbar. I also like the screen on the Onyx better with the change color option. But I guess I'll be ready for all the new channels and future channels. And I'm thinking this may be one the last true plug n play radios to be made.

I hope to listen to the new channels soon.
    Don't start 2.0 Walk the Dog without me :jj:

8. Goodeye

Goodeye Member

Were you able to hook it up to an existing Antenna with no problem?

9. voliconjoe

Does it get the George Carlin channel?

10. MadisonRadio1

I got the Sirius XM Select Family Plan which does not include George Carlin. Sirius XM Select, Premiere or All Access would have it.

11. MadisonRadio1

I use the antenna from the XM home kit which I already had for the Onyx. I simply had to take the Onyx out and put in the Edge. I just keep the antenna by the window as I've never had signal problems where I live. I only listen SXM at home.

12. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

13. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Cool, I was probably thinking of ordering either the Edge or Lynx unit? So far the Edge is the only unit that plays all the channels, but the Lynx has wi-fi feature and will supposedly play all the channels? or unless another radio comes along and changes my mind on everything.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  14. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

There is the XM Edge, Starmate 8 and later the XM Lynx. Beyond that we won't see any new radios for AT LEAST a year.

Wolf likes this.
  15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

A year wow! Then you helped me choose my future radio, the SiriusXM Lynx. I'll order one soon, whenever you get them in stock. Thanks again, Taylor!!!

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

17. voliconjoe

So this radio gets the internet stations too?

18. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Yea the Edge is the only radio for now that receives these extra channels aka internet stations, until the Lynx comes out.

19. voliconjoe

REALLY????? So for $16.99/month you get everything on this radio? HMMMMMMMmmmm

20. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

$16.99? The Edge radio cost $12.95 not including the royalty fee. So for now this is the best radio for the price tag, that includes all the channels. But in couple more months the price tag will suppose to go up?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011