SiriusXM Updates iOS App

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wow! How do I say this without being insulting?

Every single SiriusXM internet subscriber can access the internet media player on their computers. Regardless if they have an iPhone Blackberry or Android phone. Regardless if they even own a smartphone at all.

To first release 2.0 to one particular smartphone app while ignoring the rest of your internet user base is ludicrous.

I think I made that clear enough where I wasn't insulting. At least I hope so.

My guess is SXM did the low hanging fruit first. They may be redesigning their online stream and may take longer (particularly if they are ditching Flash). Android also takes longer to develop for. iOS was quick and easy and got a big bang for the buck. I think the web will be next and Android dragging up the rear.

Lynx's ATS

Jan 1, 2012
My guess is SXM did the low hanging fruit first. They may be redesigning their online stream and may take longer (particularly if they are ditching Flash). Android also takes longer to develop for. iOS was quick and easy and got a big bang for the buck. I think the web will be next and Android dragging up the rear.

Alright, As an employee for siriusxm I have something to say about the online interface we are putting out.

its being released in waves. first time you log in you may get a screen saying something like "would you like to beta test the new media player?" and you have the option of pulling it up. 45 people are going to be getting the chance when it begins and they will be the only people with it for about a week, then 7 days after it launches they are going to launch it out to about 250 people or so and they will all have it, then at 2 weeks after the initial starting launch, 1000 people will get it, followed by everyone at the month mark.

this is a rough estimate but thats what we were told. if any of you get the new media player then please dont hesitate to post or email in suggestions to customercare@siriusxm.com

(I am not affiliated with siriusxm in a sponsership manner, I am an employee posting of my own violation, not on behalf of siriusxm)

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Alright, As an employee for siriusxm I have something to say about the online interface we are putting out.

its being released in waves. first time you log in you may get a screen saying something like "would you like to beta test the new media player?" and you have the option of pulling it up. 45 people are going to be getting the chance when it begins and they will be the only people with it for about a week, then 7 days after it launches they are going to launch it out to about 250 people or so and they will all have it, then at 2 weeks after the initial starting launch, 1000 people will get it, followed by everyone at the month mark.

this is a rough estimate but thats what we were told. if any of you get the new media player then please dont hesitate to post or email in suggestions to customercare@siriusxm.com

(I am not affiliated with siriusxm in a sponsership manner, I am an employee posting of my own violation, not on behalf of siriusxm)
Nice to have this new info- Thanks for your valuable input. Are you aware of the timeout & invalid login issues with the current online player & if so, can we expect some fixes for this?

Lynx's ATS

Jan 1, 2012
Nice to have this new info- Thanks for your valuable input. Are you aware of the timeout & invalid login issues with the current online player & if so, can we expect some fixes for this?

Yes we are more than well aware of these issues and yes we fixed them in the new media player.

Lynx's ATS

Jan 1, 2012
If anyone finds any issues with this new online media player then please dont hesitate to call siriusxm so we can adress and fix these new issues

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I love the new features on the iPhone app, but the one big problem I have with the 2.0 iOS update is only being able to go back to a program listed on the "guide". How about the ability to to back to a particular time within the 5 hours since a lot of shows aren't even listed on the guide?

Lynx's ATS

Jan 1, 2012
When does it begin?

Also when does it get to Android phones as well? Thanks

Now those are both things that I am not allowed to discuss due to if it eta pushed back then we don't want complaints about it not being "on schedule". Sorry to disappoint.

MUSCLE13

Dec 11, 2011
Now those are both things that I am not allowed to discuss due to if it eta pushed back then we don't want complaints about it not being "on schedule". Sorry to disappoint.

Gotta tell ya - By releasing 2.0 for the iPhone first you are ignoring most of your internet sub audience. There are more Android phones than iPhones, and every internet subscriber has access to the online media app. As an internet sub for many years I feel this was an insulting move.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Gotta tell ya - By releasing 2.0 for the iPhone first you are ignoring most of your internet sub audience. There are more Android phones than iPhones, and every internet subscriber has access to the online media app. As an internet sub for many years I feel this was an insulting move.

Remember that Lynx's is independent contracted support for the Lynx radio and not corporate for SXM. Two entirely different things. He doesn't make decisions of that nature.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MUSCLE13

Dec 11, 2011
Remember that Lynx's is independent contracted support for the Lynx radio and not corporate for SXM.

Then why post this?---

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Then why post this?---

Because he's not allowed to discuss it. Or, in other words, ask the right department the right question.

MUSCLE13

Dec 11, 2011
Because he's not allowed to discuss it. Or, in other words, ask the right department the right question.

I think you may have misunderstood my question. Why post this if he is not representing Sirius???-

we don't want complaints about it not being "on schedule".

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think you may have misunderstood my question. Why post this if he is not representing Sirius???-

we don't want complaints about it not being "on schedule".

As far as I'm concerned, it's because he's not the right department to hear those complaints, because he's an independent contractor that deals with the LYNX. Please re-read his OP and keep the discussion focused in the Lynx. We've had posters from Sirius in the past, and they didn't stay with us for very long. Some weren't supposed to be sharing information in a format like ours and may have lost their jobs, and some just might have gotten tired of being badgered about things that were out if their control.

Take Lynx's posts for what they are, a direct conduit for specific user questions about the Lynx radio only.

MUSCLE13

Dec 11, 2011
Please re-read his OP and keep the discussion focused in the Lynx.
Take Lynx's posts for what they are, a direct conduit for specific user questions about the Lynx radio only.

This is not a Lynx thread he posted in, nor was his post I addressed in this thread any way related to the Lynx.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is not a Lynx thread he posted in, nor was his post I addressed in this thread any way related to the Lynx.

Fair enough, but keep in mind what I said,also don't lose track of what he said and try to leverage more info than he can share.

(I am not affiliated with siriusxm in a sponsership manner, I am an employee posting of my own volition, not on behalf of siriusxm)

MUSCLE13

Dec 11, 2011
Fair enough, but keep in mind what I said,also don't lose track of what he said and try to leverage more info than he can share.

The rough estimate you quoted him saying is from when it begins to roll out. He will not say when it begins to roll out or he is not allowed to say it. Without knowing when it begins - this could mean this month, next month, 6 months from now or a year. There is no way of telling.

I stand by my opinion. I feel completely insulted as a Sirius internet subscriber for many years, that 2.0 was rolled out first to the iPhone user base, when there are more Android phones out there and the entire online media player audience has been ignored.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The rough estimate you quoted him saying is from when it begins to roll out. He will not say when it begins to roll out or he is not allowed to say it. Without knowing when it begins - this could mean this month, next month, 6 months from now or a year. There is no way of telling.

I stand by my opinion. I feel completely insulted as a Sirius internet subscriber for many years, that 2.0 was rolled out first to the iPhone user base, when there are more Android phones out there and the entire online media player audience has been ignored.

Fine. Whatever. Email a SXM CEO or someone that makes those decisions. Use the customer service address he gave you.

All I'm saying is take it easy and don't shoot the messenger.

MUSCLE13

Dec 11, 2011
Fine. Whatever. Email a SXM CEO or someone that makes those decisions. Use the customer service address he gave you.

All I'm saying is take it easy and don't shoot the messenger.

I am not allowed to state in a Sirius 2.0 internet app thread, where a Sirius employee posts about a vague timetable, that I am thoroughly insulted by the way Sirius has handled the 2.0 internet rollout?

Seriously, are you kidding me???

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I am not allowed to state in a Sirius 2.0 internet app thread, where a Sirius employee posts about a vague timetable, that I am thoroughly insulted by the way Sirius has handled the 2.0 internet rollout?

Seriously, are you kidding me???

You're so intent on arguing that you're missing the point.
This isn't the person who's balls you should be busting. He's offered to help us out with certain things, and he isn't responsible for other things. He's not corporate, he didn't decide what app got released first, he doesn't decide release dates. If you have a problem with the suits, take it up with them.

It would be great for our community if he can stick around and answer what questions he can answer, but if all he gets is a hard time, I can't see him bothering with us for very long.

So no, I'm not kidding you. Take it easy, relax, and don't bust my balls about it either. Seriously.