SiriusXM’s FM-6 Satellite to Launch Today

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Countdown To Launch of SiriusXM’s FM-6 Satellite

fm-6.jpg

We are less than 24 hours away from the launch of SiriusXM’s latest satellite, FM-6. The launch was initially scheduled for Sunday, October 20th, but has been delayed by 24 hours due to issues with the satellite ground station network required for the launch and early orbital operations of the Sirius FM-6 spacecraft.

Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center (Khrunichev) and International Launch Services (ILS) plan to make another attempt at 12:12 a.m. local time on October 22 in Baikonur (2:12 pm EDT on October 21). The satellite was built for Sirius XM Radio of New York, by SSL of California.

It was determined by SSL and SiriusXM, as a precautionary measure, that additional time was needed to evaluate issues related to required remote satellite ground stations. The Proton Launch Vehicle and Sirius FM-6 satellite remain in a safe configuration with no technical issues at the launch site.

The launch of this satellite has seen several delays since 2012, but it appears that with the launch vehicle and satellite rolled out to the pad, that we will finally see the newest SiriusXM satellite get into orbit. The chart to the left shows the progression of events.

Readers that are interested in seeing the launch coverage live can do so by visiting the launch coverage page of ILS.

Sirius FM-6 is expected to help with the delivery of the satellite radio providers audio content and data services across North America.

According to the company, Sirius FM-6 satellite will ensure SiriusXM’s array of audio and data services are received by vehicles, mobile devices and home receivers and will play an important role in bolstering the continuity of service for years to come.

The satellite has an expected life cycle of 15 years, butr satellites can operate longer than expected. FM-6 will be placed in a geo-stationary orbit. This means that the satellite will remain in the same place in the sky. The orbit is above the equator and the satellite signal covers most of Central and North America.

Once the launch is completed, the company will make several moves to properly position the satellite. Over the next several days the company will also conduct many tests before ultimately declaring the mission a success. The riskiest part of this process is typically the launch itself.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
fm-61.jpg

Update:

SiriusXM Satellite Launch Delayed?

It would appear that the launch of FM-6, SiriusXM’s latest and greatest satellite has been delayed yet again. The launch had already been postponed to today, but as of this writing, the countdown clock now has 4 days on it instead of about 20 minutes. In addition, the launch pad webcam seems to be off-line, indicating that perhaps the delay will be longer rather than shorter. As yet there is no information available as to what is causing the delay, or whether or not the rocket will remain on the launchpad.

SiriusXM provides satellite radio services across North America. This newest satellite is the last piece in a constellation of satellites that will ultimately have usefull lives for the next several years. This satellite has been delayed in launch by over a year now, as it was originally going to be put into service in 2012.

The launch is now scheduled for Friday, October 25th unless other delays occur. Stay Tuned!

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Remind me again. Sirius did put up a stationary satellite a few years ago? And still have two geosync sats floating above? XM has two stationary satellites at this time?

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
Remind me again. Sirius did put up a stationary satellite a few years ago? And still have two geosync sats floating above? XM has two stationary satellites at this time?

Unless one of their original satellites is no longer functioning, they should have three geosynchronous satellites and one geostationary satellite in operation currently.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Unless one of their original satellites is no longer functioning, they should have three geosynchronous satellites and one geostationary satellite in operation currently.

Only 1 of the 3 are running at any one time.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk - now Free

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The new Satellite structure as told to me by the guy that planned it will be 2 Stationary XM and 2 Stationary Sirius and one backup that is capable of both.

I got the sense that this was the best decision for the company. It's probably the most efficient cost wise.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
SiriusXM needs to have a plan or they'll just kill all of the Canadian customers.. .XM's coverage has largely been crap as you travel further north, and 'put a bunch of ground repeaters all over the place' just isn't a viable solution.

There's a reason why we get so many requests to convert XM customers to Sirius from Canada. The coverage problem is real, whether SiriusXM wants to admit it or not.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
SiriusXM needs to have a plan or they'll just kill all of the Canadian customers.. .XM's coverage has largely been crap as you travel further north, and 'put a bunch of ground repeaters all over the place' just isn't a viable solution.

There's a reason why we get so many requests to convert XM customers to Sirius from Canada. The coverage problem is real, whether SiriusXM wants to admit it or not.

The XM repeaters do fix the issue in metro areas. With Sirius there are not as many repeaters so the coverage will break.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk - now Free

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
The XM repeaters do fix the issue in metro areas. With Sirius there are not as many repeaters so the coverage will break.

This is 'Satellite Radio'. In the major cities you have things like near-ubiquitous cell coverage. I've talked with people in St. John Newfoundland before, they know that Sirius works fine, but XM only works around the repeater. They can tell you the roads where the coverage ends, even. :)

I admit, Newfoundland isn't high on the priority list, but as you get away from the southern border of Canada, it doesn't get any better. There's plenty of griping to go around in every province.

If the coverage was always flaky, this would be a different situation. However, the customers KNOW that XM sucks compared to Sirius in reception. If the coverage gets significantly worse, those customers will cancel.

The only saving grace is the fact the new SiriusXM radios don't have the 'digital noise' when the signal goes out, like the older XM radios. That fake snow sound made me want to drive over my satellite radio. :)

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
The new Satellite structure as told to me by the guy that planned it will be 2 Stationary XM and 2 Stationary Sirius and one backup that is capable of both.

I got the sense that this was the best decision for the company. It's probably the most efficient cost wise.

It's too bad that they've given up on the Sirius satellites. They worked really well for mobile applications.

XM, in my experience, is far easier to lose by trees on the Southern side of the road, or hills/mountains, buildings, etc.