Site Interruption - Ongoing Maintenance

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I discovered another change. On our profile pages, "Likes" are now shown as "Reactions received." Does this mean we now get points not just when someone "likes" one of our posts but also every time someone hates one of our posts or reacts with disgust, annoyance, outrage or revulsion?

Here is a funny riddle for drdoo. A drunk driver was given a 30-day jail sentence and was told he could make one phone call. Why did he call his cable television provider? He knew he'd spend the entire 30 days on hold.

• Sad
Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Here is a funny riddle for drdoo. A drunk driver was given a 30-day jail sentence and was told he could make one phone call. Why did he call his cable television provider? He knew he'd spend the entire 30 days on hold.
You really don't want people to like you, do you?

And the new template DOES allow the Facebook style reactions that the kids are all using.
So you'll be able to better tell what people are thinking about your content.
Just hover over the like button to see the options.
upload_2019-2-13_8-27-24-png.664519

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I discovered another change. On our profile pages, "Likes" are now shown as "Reactions received." Does this mean we now get points not just when someone "likes" one of our posts but also every time someone hates one of our posts or reacts with disgust, annoyance, outrage or revulsion?

The number of reactions could be anything. Like with Facebook, you now have a variety of reactions to express instead of just Likes. Reactions means all Reactions, so it isn't like on Reddit or somewhere else where you can 'lose' points for negative reactions or downvotes.

Here is a funny riddle for drdroo. A drunk driver was given a 30-day jail sentence and was told he could make one phone call. Why did he call his cable television provider? He knew he'd spend the entire 30 days on hold.

We actually live answer our calls. :)

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I wrote a book titled How To Lose Friends & Irritate People but no publishers were interested in it. I had to abandon my plan to write a second book, The Power Of Negative Thinking. And I'm glad drdoo explained the "Reactions." I do not use Facebook or Reddit so I was unaware of those different options.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I haven't read a book since probably 10th grade of High School. There's just other things to do, especially this time of the year.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Xenforo is the software that the bulletin board runs on. A skin provides the look/feel.

And me, I work for a cable company in Infrastructure and got dragged into this..... SOOOOOOO..

tenor.gif

:)

When I think of the cable company I simply think of this.

giphy.gif

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix

And the new template DOES allow the Facebook style reactions that the kids are all using.

The number of reactions could be anything. Like with Facebook, you now have a variety of reactions to express instead of just Likes. Reactions means all Reactions, so it isn't like on Reddit or somewhere else where you can 'lose' points for negative reactions or downvotes.

So that means when I post Nickelback and Rickroll videos and images. You guys can use the like, love and laugh emoji's.

I'm glad there no downvotes. ;)

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Going through some the new layout site I'm starting to like it. The dark background is alright, but you can still read the words. I can get use it in couple of days.

I think the only issue I see is. On the old layout, when somebody does a new post you see some icon next to it. I don't see it here, so I can't tell which ones are new post? I do see the drop down "What's New" new posts. Maybe something to add here again?

Over all I'm pretty satisfied with the new look. Thanks Droo for all of your hard work you put it into for the past few days.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Going through some the new layout site I'm starting to like it. The dark background is alright, but you can still read the words. I can get use it in couple of days.

I think the only issue I see is. On the old layout, when somebody does a new post you see some icon next to it. I don't see it here, so I can't tell which ones are new post? I do see the drop down "What's New" new posts. Maybe something to add here again?

Over all I'm pretty satisfied with the new look. Thanks Droo for all of your hard work you put it into for the past few days.
There's a green NEW box that's displayed next to the thread also.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
TBH, many kids, teens, and young adults have abandoned Facebook. It's probably most popular with the Boomer (and older) gen. If you're 65, and you've learned that Facebook is the way to keep in-touch with family, you're gonna stick with it. You're not going to Reddit or Instagram or Twitter or WhatsApp.

I'm perpetually amazed that Channel is such a poo-pooer of Facebook, as his social media habits are exactly aligned with it.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
You really don't want people to like you, do you?

Oh, THIS oughta be fun!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
TBH, many kids, teens, and young adults have abandoned Facebook. It's probably most popular with the Boomer (and older) gen. If you're 65, and you've learned that Facebook is the way to keep in-touch with family, you're gonna stick with it. You're not going to Reddit or Instagram or Twitter or WhatsApp.

I'm perpetually amazed that Channel is such a poo-pooer of Facebook, as his social media habits are exactly aligned with it.
I thought about that while I was typing, but I was tired and couldn't come up with anything very witty.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Since the site was down for days. Now I came back and

what-the-fuck-happened-here-net-19254472.png

Gonna take a little bit get use to everything and the new colors.
I think we were down for about 16 hours.

So that means when I post Nickelback and Rickroll videos and images. You guys can use the like, love and laugh emoji's.

I'm glad there no downvotes. ;)
Well...........

I usually click on the FORUMS header and then the New Posts just below it at the top.
There isn't any browsing that way, everything that you haven't already read shows up.

I'm still getting used to things being in different places.

I need to dig around some more to see what other updates are with this version of the software.

Keep digging and let us know what else you find.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I do like the look much better, it blends well with Dark Mode on the Mac. And the site is much faster. Nice work!