Site Interruption - Ongoing Maintenance

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Just noticed this in the "About us" section at the bottom of the homepage:

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.
and I really like it. It's well said. Who wrote it? Also, was it always there and I'm just noticing it now with the update or is it part of the update?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think it's generic text that came with the skin. I've been looking for the place to change it, but it's buried in the menu structure somewhere.

You'll know when I find it, because it will talk about DRC being a safe environment for architects......

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Well, that is disappointing. I thought one of you mods wrote that nice little summary. Learning it's generic makes me embarrassed I thought it was so nice.

Also, when someone on the floor above me flushes the toilet I can hear it going down the pipes to get to the sewers. Poopy pipes. Pretty sure an architect is to blame for that.

Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Shit rolls down hill. I remember as a kid learning about people in like Rome or wherever dumping their crap in the streams before plumbing. The people downstream were f'ed and got all sick since that poopy water was also ther drinking water. I always thought that was interesting.

Point being, I'm pretty sure even as a child my teachers were preparing me for the harsh evil realities of a world filled with rogue architects.

Also, one day if I work really hard, maybe I can move to the top floor. Really though being in the middle is great cause it helps with insulation. My A/C bill is way too high as it is.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Shit rolls down hill. I remember as a kid learning about people in like Rome or wherever dumping their crap in the streams before plumbing. The people downstream were f'ed and got all sick since that poopy water was also ther drinking water. I always thought that was interesting.

Point being, I'm pretty sure even as a child my teachers were preparing me for the harsh evil realities of a world filled with rogue architects.

Also, one day if I work really hard, maybe I can move to the top floor. Really though being in the middle is great cause it helps with insulation. My A/C bill is way too high as it is.
My point was this; you hear it, because they built the apartments at a price point where they can maximize profits from rental income. They don't care about isolating you from the sound, because that would cost them more, and reduce their profit.

Architecture is like health insurance. People call their health insurer all the time, cursing about shitty coverage. But the insurer is capable of providing excellent coverage, provided the person's employer pays for it.

Architects can design (and builders can build) anything from a shithole to a palace. It all depends on what the customer wants.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Well, that is disappointing. I thought one of you mods wrote that nice little summary. Learning it's generic makes me embarrassed I thought it was so nice.

Also, when someone on the floor above me flushes the toilet I can hear it going down the pipes to get to the sewers. Poopy pipes. Pretty sure an architect is to blame for that.
It's still a nice thought. That's why they put in in there.

I'd blame capitalism.
Truth

Architecture is like health insurance. People call their health insurer all the time, cursing about shitty coverage. But the insurer is capable of providing excellent coverage, provided the person's employer pays for it.

Architects can design (and builders can build) anything from a shithole to a palace. It all depends on what the customer wants.

It's usually the property owner, developer, or contractor that drive that bus. More often than not, we would rather we would rather include all of those little extras that make a difference. But then we get accused of being too fussy and raising costs too much. We do what we can to strike a balance between function, cost, and looks. Roman architect Vitrivuous wrote about firmness, commodity, & delight back in the days before Bono was born.

The idea is the same here at the DRC. We're trying to keep the balance between keeping the place working, affordably, and looking decent.
(I had to bring us back on topic somehow. This is a help type of a thread after all.)

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I remembered what the new look reminded me of. The old XM411.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wowzers. There's one from the way-back-machine.

I had forgotten all about that place since I went with Sirius when I signed up.

Any similarity is coincidental. We just picked a skin that looked fresher than what we had, and I remembered a number of people asking for a dark layout the last time we upgraded.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I did that 2 nights ago. I wondered how long it would take someone to notice.
I don't know if I'll have a chance to fix it right away though.......

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
  • Digital Radio Central is a community founded in the early days of satellite radio, and has grown to become a place to discuss all forms of contemporary entertainment and popular culture.
    This is a place where you should feel comfortable posting questions about hardware or music or video services, and enjoy the community.

Welcome to Digital Radio Central. How do you take your radio?

PS. Architects are our favorite people. We love architects.
This is by far the most offensive thing I've ever come across in all my years at DRC. How dare you Hectic, pushing your evil architectural ways on all us innocent civilians. I'm out of breath this has upset me so much.

Awful. Just awful.

1564031337748.png

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
  • Digital Radio Central is a community founded in the early days of satellite radio, and has grown to become a place to discuss all forms of contemporary entertainment and popular culture.
    This is a place where you should feel comfortable posting questions about hardware or music or video services, and enjoy the community.

This is by far the most offensive thing I've ever come across in all my years at DRC. How dare you Hectic, pushing your evil architectural ways on all us innocent civilians. I'm out of breath this has upset me so much.

Awful. Just awful.

View attachment 5461
Well, I did it for you.

Might have to leave it up there a while longer now......

• Angry
Reactions: JHDK

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix

Awful. Just awful.

View attachment 5461

Yea that's more offensive then dipping fries in cheese, instead of ketchup.

Reactions: JHDK