Sl 10 Problem

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by optaylor823, Apr 14, 2014.

1. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

Ok I have not used my radio for a couple of years and decided to install it in a vehicle. While trying to install it in the vehicle and keep the wires neat I decided to cut the power cord and hard wire into the vehicle. Yes I know this is wrong, but I was helping the wife clean her car and take care of kids. Of course doing this messed up the radio and the car dock. I was wondering if there is anyway to fix this or some where to send it off to be repaired. I know I can just buy another radio since this one is so old, but I am a lifetime member and do not want to pay the transfer fee and use my second transfer since my SL 100 was stolen years ago and I had to buy the refurbished SL 10 to keep from paying the transfer fee then.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

TSS may be able to help you out. Do you have a home dock you can test it in to see if it's the radio or the car dock that's messed up?
  3. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

I am guessing it is the dock and the radio. The dock will not come on and the radio will not power on with a battery or in the home dock.Does TSS repair radios?
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Some of them they can. If anybody can tell you if it's repairable, they can. They won't fleece you either.
  5. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

Thanks I appreciate the quick response. I have sent TSS an email and will let you know what they say.
  6. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

Here is the reply I got from TSS.
    "Unfortunately there is no repair that we know of at this time for this issue. We've heard of it happening, but we haven't found a solution to repair the unit or the dock. Usually when this happens, it damages both devices." So looks like I have to buy another radio and hopefully find a way to get around the transfer fee.
  7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Bummer. If anybody would have been able to fix it, it would have been them.
    As for transfer fees, I've seen a couple of people here say that they have had a little luck trying to convince customer service to drop the fee for them. It's worth a try, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  8. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Sometimes the agent will waive the fee (not the transfer -- still counts as 1). I had mine waived when my SL2 died during extended warrantee. I argued it should be a warrantee replacement. But since I didn't do it through Sirius they said it didn't count. But they waived the fee but not the transfer. They said it was a one time gesture and I would be paying the next one regardless.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    HecticArt likes this.
  9. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

If the $75 transfer fee is a show stopper the repair option is null and void. I just saw the prices for a receiver and dock.

Just powered up my old SL-10 and it's working. It's very used, has two slim and one "fat" battery. Let us/me know what you decide to do on the receiver end.

TSS has a bunch of quality plug and play models. Some (like the Stratus 7) come with vehicle kits. If you want the top of the line I've read of SXM switching lifetimers when they bought a Lynx or Edge.
  10. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

If you really like a portable I'd try and get a used one on Ebay or Craigslist while you can. And then grab a new car cradle and power adapter for it. But the portables are discontinued and becoming harder and harder to find.
  11. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

I would like to get another SL-10 or SL-100. I have talked to Sirius and they said there is nothing they can do as far as they radio. I have been looking on ebay and craigslist to find another Stilletto. I don't guess I reaaly need a true portable since I had the SL-100 stolen and I only used mine in the dock, because it never really picked up with the built in antenna. What would be a good radio to buy to use as one that I can dock in the house or car. I like the looks of the Lynx also, but I see it is going to be out of my price range. I have seen the Onyx and guess it would work. Also will any SiriusXM work with my lifetime subscription? I did like the WiFi option on the SL-100, but if the price it to high I guess I can go with out it.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The Starmate 8 is worth checking out. If something happens to my Lynx, I think thats where I'd go. For as sweet as the Lynx is, I find that I'm not using as many of the special features that it has. I rarely used my Stiletto for live broadcasts.
  13. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

You like the Starmate 8 over the Onyx or Onyx Plus? I was thinking of maybe going with the Onyx Plus for $80 and it comes with a car dock. I guess my big pain will be replacing all my docks. I have home docks and a couple of car docks, which we all know can add up, but I guess I can sale them on ebay.
  14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Old habit looking at the Sirius platform. The Onyx Plus has a lot of great stuff on it. You couldn't go wrong with it.
  15. optaylor823

optaylor823 New Member

Well I was able to find a starmate 8 with a vehicle kit resonable. My question now is can I use the same power cords and antennas from my old docks for the new starmate docks. If not I guess I will be trying to sale them. Replacing the radio is the cheap part, but all my docks and the transfer fee is what is tough to bear.