SL2: ZAP 2.0.5.69029r OS 2.0.3.54429 New Logos/Backgrounds {Released 3/9/09}

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by kryptonite, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 97formula

97formula Member

Installed Oracle VirtualBox on my computer so I can run XP 32-bit. Installed successfully, also runs MSS successfully (still does not find any new updates).

Tried the recovery mode on my old Stiletto, and it says "your PC must be connected to the internet in order to recover the device. please connect your computer to the internet and try again".

Meanwhile, my VM is connected to the internet, and MSS was able to see my Stiletto just fine.

I'm thinking my VM is basically the same as having a real XP machine.

Any ideas???
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I don't know what it uses to do its stuff but Sirius never did great with software so it is probably doing something your emulator isn't catching. Do you have an old pc with XP on it?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
  3. 97formula

97formula Member

It said "recovering", and was hanging on "requesting new software from Sirius". 10 seconds later it told me I need to be connected to the internet.
  4. 97formula

97formula Member

Dug into the logs, and it said something about not able to access https://agrs.zing.net/. Site appears to be dead. Is there an alternate link and a method to redirect, or to download an offline copy of the ZAP recovery file?
  5. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

This may mean that device recoveries are no longer possible. If that site is dead, that probably means the updates are no longer possible.
  6. 97formula

97formula Member

Just tried the ORIGINAL CD from my Stiletto 100, and it is recovering my SL100 as we speak! This is most likely because it has the "offline" image, meaning I am more than likely getting the image it originally came with.....

Now, I just need to know how to acquire the latest image for the SL100 and SL2 (need to update the SL2 I just picked up so it has as many channel logos as possible)...
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Didn't some company buy Zing out? That might mean 100% official EOL for any and all SL radios, once they crash.
  8. 97formula

97formula Member

should I even bother calling siriusxm support to get updated firmware on my stiletto2? I prefer not sending it in if an offline version is available somewhere
  9. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

I think, at this point, SL2 might be a "buyer beware, as you're on your own" type of situation, but IdRatherBeSkiing would know more.
  10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I doubt SXM can can help you directly.
    I'm checking with Droo to see if it's available off-line.
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I got in touch with Droo.
    He said that it's best to go through TSS to have the recovery done. They had to make a program to run on Windows XP that allows the recovery stuff to work. Zing killed their servers that let people do their own updates.

Contact questions@tss-radio.com and they can get you hooked up. He believes that it's $30 and includes return shipment im the US.

Hope it helps, and keep us posted.
  12. 97formula

97formula Member

Thanks HecticArt for looking into it, I appreciate that!

Yeah...I was afraid that was going to be the only available solution (radio is working fine, just wanted more channel logos even though it still won't be every single channel). To me, that does not justify the need to send it in (unless it was completely bricked).

What I found interesting is being able to recover my old Stiletto 100 using the original CD, but the later recovery versions require internet access to the zing servers (making it impossible to recover the SL2). That's what made me think if the latest SL2 firmware was available for download and manual install/update.

Also my SL100 recovery was done in VirtualBox running XP (which was running off my Win10 laptop)
    HecticArt likes this.
  13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I hear you 97.
    The hardware support is pretty much my main complaint with SXM. That, and I still miss the Boombox station.

I haven't heard of anybody that had been able to download the updates back in the day and find a way to get them to load. TSS was able to scrounge up the files and program some sort of software to make it all work.

If you hear of anything else let us know. I'll be sure to post any updates if I run across them.
  14. 97formula

97formula Member

What's even more interesting -- if you google Stiletto update or recovery, you will find download links for both apps, off a website called www.siriusretail.com (yes the links work and you can get MSS and Recovery). But since recovery needs to connect to zing it's pretty much useless. MSS lets you manage your Stiletto playlist but no updates.

www.siriusretail.com will time out, but direct links found on google work.

AHHH!!!! Boombox!!!!!! My Stiletto 100 had quite a few song mashups saved, which I lost when trying to fix audio issues (which made me get a SL2 to replace it).
    HecticArt likes this.
  15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That has to be what TSS's programmer figured out - how to redirect from the zing server, to a local directory.

I won't hijack your thread with more Boombox conversation other than this.
    To me, the electronic stations SXM has in the lineup are all pretty similar. Boombox was a good option for music that was somewhere between EDM and rock and roll. Oh well....