Slacker Application on Google Android and Windows Mobile

Jim1348

Oct 10, 2009
I read this earlier this week on Orbitcast

Photos: Slacker app on Google Android and Windows Mobile - Orbitcast

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10370608-233.html

Details are scant right now, but word has come to us that Slacker is at CTIA showing off their latest Slacker mobile app on the Windows Mobile and Google Android mobile platforms.

The timeline for launching on these platforms is unknown, but as soon as more details come in, we'll pass them along. Check out the Google Android photo after the jump...
Slacker on Google Android

If I was to guess, I would expect similar functionality to the Slacker iPhone App, but who knows what other surprises they might have up their sleeve.

Last edited:

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I'm really excited about the Android app. I think when my upgrade comes up, I'm gonna give an Android phone a shot. It has all the apps I use the most (especially now with Slacker coming to it), and it'll be a cold day in Hell when my carrier gets a touchscreen blackberry.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It is smart that Slacker continues to push forward to get on many platforms. This is the right move as I think they do not plan to continue in the hardware business once they get this working on enough of the phones out there. Seems Pandora got it right staying out of the hardware business and just using all these phone software platforms.

Xan I doubt Apple is worried about droid as they just had the best sales quarter ever and this with a bad economy! Nuff Said!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
You can rest assured it will only be the ones that make them money! No one can argue with Apple strategy the proof is in the profit!

While still continuing to offer the customer the least features possible.

Just charging for upgrades on basic functions by itself will make you a lot of cheddar, so long as you can continue to find folks willing to pay to drink the cool aid.

Im willing to bet that by xmas 2010 jobs will have to add most of the features driod is rolling out with now.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
While still continuing to offer the customer the least features possible.

Just charging for upgrades on basic functions by itself will make you a lot of cheddar, so long as you can continue to find folks willing to pay to drink the cool aid.

Im willing to bet that by xmas 2010 jobs will have to add most of the features driod is rolling out with now.

Yeah everyone that has an Apple products according you just has to be drinking the kool-aid.

The fact is there are a lot of Apple products users that couldn't tell you two things about Apple, they just like their products. Like with any products sure there are those over zealous fans. None the less it seems to bother you more than it does those of us that actual own the products that Apple charges for upgrades on the iPod Touch. You are such a guy all about principles!

I am not a betting man, so whatever Apple does you can bet it will be good for the stock holders and the company as a whole. It must really piss you off that they just announced the best quarter of sales in the companies history during the worse economic down fall we've had in many decades. I LOVE IT! hehehe

It is just like I said in anther thread, one can always count on you to jump into every thread where Apple is mentioned and start your negative BS, you've done it over and over. Your history is clear! However, with that said no one really cares about this stuff. They go out and buy the product that works best for them. If it happens to be an Apple product then so be it. If the droid is the next best thing then that will be great too! I wish them the greatest of luck because competition is always a good thing just as having choices is too. Just some of us don't avoid Apple products based on a bunch of non important principles like you! :)

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Here I am hoping apple will wake up and include all those missing features (including free software upgrades) that kept me from buying one and you think im being negative?
Im just looking forward to apple having some competition so they can grow too.
Who knows, in a few years apple might make a phone i actually want, is there something wrong with that?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Im just looking forward to apple having some competition so they can grow too.
Who knows, in a few years apple might make a phone i actually want, is there something wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it at all, but the only problem is you always start accusing everyone that has Apple products as being kool-aid drinkers, which simply isn't true. So, you bring the negative stuff with you each time.

I have repeatedly talked about how great choice is and competition to push products forward, you seem to think that this is your novel idea somehow. Sometimes I wonder if you only read just parts of messages! I know I am a bit long worded sometimes! LOL

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
But dawg, kool-aid tastes great on a hot day! :lol:

I just think if apple users felt like they wouldn't be pounced on by the fan boi army when they had a criticism, apple would make better stuff. Since thats not likely to happen, my hope is for android to spur apple to change.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
But dawg, kool-aid tastes great on a hot day! :lol:

I just think if apple users felt like they wouldn't be pounced on by the fan boi army when they had a criticism, apple would make better stuff. Since thats not likely to happen, my hope is for android to spur apple to change.

LOL, that was cute! I didn't think you were old enough to remember that commercial. hehehe

I think Apple gets pounced on a lot more than you realize. Do you ever visit the Apple Forums? While they moderate that forum pretty heavily, there are many that still get their point across. Apple has no ability to control media reviews or individual bloggers, but the fact is that most don't feel that those things missing are nearly as important as you do. Clearly sales of their products indicate that too.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Apple's ahead of the curve right now. They get to pick and choose what they want to do while so many of the others play catch-up. It's going to take someone coming out of left field who is happy to be doing their own thing to shake things up again.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple's ahead of the curve right now. They get to pick and choose what they want to do while so many of the others play catch-up. It's going to take someone coming out of left field who is happy to be doing their own thing to shake things up again.

Very well said Hec! It doesn't necessarily mean it has to have every single bell and whistle that one can think of either like some seem to think.

I think if Apple had done that it would have been a mistake because the phone would have been just like all the other phones out there, nothing really special! The fact that they perfected what it did do and made it work in such a user friendly way is what made this thing go. Yet it is not a perfect device in any way shape or form, but what it does do, it does very, very well!

efripp

Dec 4, 2009
2 cents...

Very well said Hec! It doesn't necessarily mean it has to have every single bell and whistle that one can think of either like some seem to think.

I think if Apple had done that it would have been a mistake because the phone would have been just like all the other phones out there, nothing really special! The fact that they perfected what it did do and made it work in such a user friendly way is what made this thing go. Yet it is not a perfect device in any way shape or form, but what it does do, it does very, very well!

Are you blowing Steve Jobs right now? Your profile and verbiage suggest it. You are very defensive of Apple at least. There are those people who expect our mobile devices to do reasonably EVERYTHING, and do it reasonably well. If I can think of a task, my mobile device better have the hardware for it, unlocked, ready for an application to put it to work. This simply can't be done with an idiot-resistant, hand-holding device like the iPhone. I leave the iProducts to the zombies who can't figure out how to use anything else. If the iPhone isn't simple enough, I hear Hasbro is coming out with a mobile device for 3+ y/o. Should be a hit with the "iCrowd". BTW, this is my first post(maybe last since this guy is a moderator)! I love this site. Good job.

Reactions: xan_user

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Are you blowing Steve Jobs right now? Your profile and verbiage suggest it. You are very defensive of Apple at least. There are those people who expect our mobile devices to do reasonably EVERYTHING, and do it reasonably well. If I can think of a task, my mobile device better have the hardware for it, unlocked, ready for an application to put it to work. This simply can't be done with an idiot-resistant, hand-holding device like the iPhone. I leave the iProducts to the zombies who can't figure out how to use anything else. If the iPhone isn't simple enough, I hear Hasbro is coming out with a mobile device for 3+ y/o. Should be a hit with the "iCrowd". BTW, this is my first post(maybe last since this guy is a moderator)! I love this site. Good job.

If I was blowing Steve, I doubt I'd be here talking about such things with you. I'd be living it up some where beyond my current means because I'd have tons of money, because my mouth and lips are very, very expensive! LOL

By the way Welcome to DRC and don't worry about this being your last post, I would never take such comments personally. Do, I like Apple products, some of them for sure. Am I under the delusion that Apple does everything right and that their products never need any improvements. NOT on your life!

Your point seems to be that there are things you feel the iPhone should do and it should be much more complicated because making it idiot proof somehow makes it like a toy and less good to you. Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think 80 plus million iPhones that have been sold were sold because people wanted phones that were super complicated and the chief requirement being that they must absolutely do everything. Sure there are things I'd like for the iPhone to do and I would also concur that the iPhone isn't for everyone. I think the the iPhone's appeal is the fact that it is simply to use, doesn't require a steep learning curve and offers platform that while it may not do everything, what it does do, it does very well.

There is much about the iPhone and Apple that I would say could use a lot of improvement, one is they have got to come off this thing with not allowing multi-tasking. They really need to be a bit more open and have less protective policies, though there are those that would say that is what has created the niche that Apple has carved out for themselves and how they have become so profitable. Yes, I like my iPhone and my Mac Book Pro, does that somehow mean that I can only see things from Steve Jobs view? Absolutely NOT, I just think it is crazy that folks such as yourself try to say that the iPhone is so bad, yet can't really explain why it continues to out pace most other smartphones on the market. This even being tied to a crappy network AT&T.

Also don't let my Apple avatar and signature stuff fool you, next month I may like something else and all that will change as it has about a dozen times in all the years I've been on this forum. Most will tell you I tend to play up whatever my favorite toy is for the month or sometimes multiple months. In fact I am switch out my Avatar to Slacker Plus, because they have recently added a ton of music at my long standing request over and over, so I'll promote them again for while. Slacker Rocks!

Again welcome to the forum and I look forward to having you engage here on the forum.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Despite what some may think, efripp is not me as an alias....:p

Welcome, efripp-you missed it when DedicatedAppleBoi also had a MBP picture in his sig line! Besides DAB would never suck off a stoner like Steve Jobs, he smells like stinky pot smoke.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Despite what some may think, efripp is not me as an alias....:p

Welcome, efripp-you missed it when DedicatedAppleBoi also had a MBP picture in his sig line! Besides DAB would never suck off a stoner like Steve Jobs, he smells like stinky pot smoke.

Oh Xan, I am so flattered that you like to make all these thread about me! Truly I am! LOL :p

I bet you didn't have to smoke but 3 joints to think that up! hehehe

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Oh all these thread about me!

capturess.jpg

You mean they're not already? LOL :p