Slacker Radio planning major overhaul

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by Jon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Slacker Radio hasn’t done too much the past few years. While they’ve definitely been spreading their service to different devices and platforms, like the Roku streaming media player, and just recently Chrysler’s UConnect at CES 2013, the service hasn’t been making waves like its competitors, Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, etc. However, we’ve been told that Slacker Radio will be holding an event sometime in the near future to reveal a complete overhaul of the service.

A PR representative for Slacker told us that the company will launch a major overhaul of the radio service in order to better compete with Spotify and other popular music-streaming services. We’re not told about any specifics, so exactly what they’ll be bringing to the new service is still a mystery.

However, the service will see a refocusing of its efforts, and the redesign and restructuring will be completely different than what the service is currently all about. It’s supposed to be a pretty major event for the company, and we’ve been hinted that there may be some famous musicians making an appearance at the event, but no details regarding special guests have been confirmed yet.

In any case, we hope to learn more info fairly shortly when the company reveals the new service. They already have a Premium service available, which is fairly similar to Spotify already, so we’re curious as to how the company will redesign the platform, and what new features they’ll bring to the table.

Slacker Radio planning major overhaul - SlashGear
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

They get rid of caching @ $3.99/mo or the Plus level, I am gone.
  3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like getting rid of stuff would be part of the plan, though I'll likely be gone too unless there's a viable option available. The site and the mobile app could use a redesign. Although I don't dislike the current design.
  4. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 New Member

my theory is that maybe the big bands like metallica, beatles, zeppelin, eagles could make a return to station catching mode. i wanna see a feature where you can email the DJ for artist requests.
  5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Apparently February 18th is the official date this overhaul comes down. A Monday.

I thought more about what I'd like to see. Make it more like the Old XM, same deep stations (or shallow stations depending on your customization settings), with the News Audio feeds like C-Span, BBC World Service, MSNBC, FoxNews, that sort of thing. Could be wishful thinking on my part, however.
  6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

The web based music setup is horrible in comparison to the other music services. In terms of social network connectivity and learning about new music... again their service by comparison is horrible.

An overhaul of the service is long overdue. Every week I get an email from MOG and Spotify listing new music dropped on the service that week. You know what I get from Slacker... not a damn thing.

Music discovery on Slacker really doesn't even exist.

I don't see them getting rid of the ability to cache on the $3.99 service, but then again none of the other services offer a $3.99 plan that allows caching. To get that on any other service you have to go to the $9.99 a month plan. However, those other services allow you to cache all the music that is in their libraries, unlike Slacker and they also don't limit you on the $9.99 plans to a single device as Slacker does.

Now with all that said, I still say Slacker has the best programed internet radio stations out there. So, an overhaul maybe a good thing.
  7. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Interesting. This was just posted to Slacker's Twitter account.

Attached Files:

8. Kevin2500

Kevin2500 New Member

im hoping for a deeper fine tune settings where slacker subscribers can select the year for the decades.
  9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

If we can get a desktop app similar to what Spotify has, I'll be very pleased. That would get me to upgrade to premium in a heartbeat.
  10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

The desktop site is way more usable than it was previously. Haven't had a chance to look at the mobile app yet. Probably by Friday.
  11. IdRatherBeSkiing

I HATE IT! They have removed favourites as far as I can see. I also don't see any of my custom stations.

I hope the iOS app isn't this bad. If it is, it's too bad that I just renewed for a year. I will be immediatly cancelling and riding out my year.
  12. squigy0

squigy0 Member

My Music has Custom Stations, Favorite stations (now called Bookmarked), and Recently Played on both the website and the app.
  13. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Favorites are still there, under My Music and under the favorites sub-category.
  14. IdRatherBeSkiing

Ok. I thought that was the on-demand stuff. Will try again from home since at work they have updated everybodies security policy such that all their certificates are bad (same with DRC). But that site is more of a pain.
  15. Sirterp

Sirterp Member

Did they let the 12 year old that runs their FB page design this?
  16. IdRatherBeSkiing

Old Slacker apps still works on my PC.
  17. IdRatherBeSkiing

So are favourite songs blue or yellow? This interface looks kinda ugly.
  18. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of it either. To much like Windows 8 as mentioned before. Probably not enough to get me to cancel barring any major hiccups. I'm on the iPhone app more often than not anyway.
  19. IdRatherBeSkiing

Also, my favourite button has disappeared for one song with only a big red ban button now. On a track introduced by the artist (something new).
  20. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow seriously? Favorites are now called Bookmarked, you have stations and playlist depending on if you have plus or premium plan. You do have one section called favorite songs.

Favorite songs are they blue or yellow? What the heck are you talking about?

I personally think this design is a huge improvement. Folks hate change and I get that. But the old interface was butt ugly and had really terrible interface. This is more in line with most other music services. You don't have to keep the big icons if you don't want them, just switch your list to text mode.

My suggestion is play with it for awhile before you start complaining.

Old Slacker is still available, but it won't be for long. Good Riddance! The most horrible music web site in the industry. Now they got a web interface that makes them look like the are actually playing in this decade.