Spotify

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I've been considering getting a premium subscription for a while now to supplement Slacker Plus. What puts it over the top with me is their desktop app which is pretty slick.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Started using Spotify, I like the app better on the iPad than I like Slacker's.

I agree, if Slacker would do a better job with its apps for iPhone and iPad and the desktop I would like it better. I love that they have ESPN but their look sucks.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The Slacker web interface is horrid... not to mention the iOS app, which is functional, but that is about the nicest thing I can say about it.

I like Spotifiy, I particularly like all the world wide supporting playlist. However, I have continued to stick with MOG. Mainly because it works with my hardware that I own at home and my head unit in my vehicle. Sound quality is top notch too.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I wasn't particularly impressed with the MOG interface on the desktop app or the mobile app. It made Slacker look good, but I don't use Slacker for interface, I use it because it's $4 a month for the same genres I used to listen to on the old XM.

Spotify just looks more polished.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I wasn't particularly impressed with the MOG interface on the desktop app or the mobile app. It made Slacker look good, but I don't use Slacker for interface, I use it because it's $4 a month for the same genres I used to listen to on the old XM.

Spotify just looks more polished.

I use MOG for 3 or 4 reasons over Spotify. 1. Consistent SQ (complete library 320kbps). 2. Works with my JVC head unit and home Stereo. 3. Better library in the genre's I listen to most, none of the karaoke filler garbage. 4. Mobile app, Spotify will often lose sync and you think you have offline music to listen too, but you don't. No such issues with MOG. This has been an ongoing issue with Spotify. They have worked on it and it does not happen as often, but it's still listed as an active bug.

I do prefer the Spotify Mac App better than the MOG version, but I rarely use either one. I am mobile 98% of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I switched over to Spotify Premium from Slacker about a month ago. Slacker never wanted to cache content onto my phone, and the tech support ranked right up there with Sirius. So far I have been happy. Still learning all the features though

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
I just got a year's subscription to Spotify Premimum. For on-demand music, it's pretty sweet.

I'll definitely keep my Slacker Plus subscription though since I'm not a fan of the programmed playlists on Spotify. I also like the new Slacker interface!

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I just got a year's subscription to Spotify Premimum. For on-demand music, it's pretty sweet.

I'll definitely keep my Slacker Plus subscription though since I'm not a fan of the programmed playlists on Spotify. I also like the new Slacker interface!

I canceled Spotify, I like the new Slacker.

I wish there was a full screen iPad version, maybe they will figure it out. I like my Slacker better than Pandora and Spotify.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Slacker's new design is steering me toward upgrading to premium and using it on my phone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

That is my plan too with the exception of MOG over Spotify. Slacker is great for the preprogrammed stations, but the on-demand is totally crap. Too much music in their library that isn't supported by on-demand. I still occasionally listen to Pandora too especially in my car because my head-unit supports both MOG and Pandora.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I tried MOG, but it has the ugliest UI out of all of them (especially now that Slacker is better) and no real options for free users to try it out. Slacker and/or Spotify will more than do it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I tried MOG, but it has the ugliest UI out of all of them (especially now that Slacker is better) and no real options for free users to try it out. Slacker and/or Spotify will more than do it.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. The one thing I like about MOG is you don't get all the Karaoke crap that you sometimes must wade through on Spotify. MOG is also working on radio that will be much better than what Spotify is now offering. In fact it is going to be more inline with Slacker and Pandora.

Once that is released I think MOG will be the complete package. Slacker has a pretty GUI now, but still by far the worst on-demand service because of their licensing agreements. Lots of music not available on demand and the absolute worse sound quality of any music service out there. I am not an audiophile, but I can certainly tell a difference between Slacker and MOG even when listening in a noisy car. Though I do admit I have a very premium sound system in my vehicle. Not to mention that MOG actually supports many aftermarket head units that Slacker and Spotify do not. Slacker has now begin to see the value in doing this and working in that direction.

I don't dislike Spotify, its unfortunate that they don't do more to work with aftermarket head units. Also MOG has a free service just like all the others, so I don't know what you are talking about that it doesn't. Ad supported free MOG here: https://mog.com/#!get

Last edited:

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I haven't tried spotify yet, but am interested in the app link news from Ford. To get it straight in me head, your phone signal connects to Sync and plays content in the car. That wireless connection is dependent on the phone. I live on the west coast, and you drive east or west of the major freeway corridor and 4G or LTE coverage drops to 3G or onto the old extended network. How will those older networks disrupt the performance of a web based service like spotify?? I like the idea of the library of music, but I just returned from the hinterlands of Canada, and our XM Inno worked like gangbusters the whole way. For my dollar the satellites may drop out for a moment, but they don't lose connection like any web based program could, and eventually does.