Stiletto Internet Player Going Away Sept 30

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
We got a tip from a customer saying Sirius sent him a letter that his Stiletto service wouldn't go on past Sept 30. We weren't sure what to make of it so we asked for the letter. In fact there is some truth to it. I will just point out in small points what it means.

The Stiletto INTERNET Portion of the Service goes away on Sept 30
They encourage people to use the App to listen
Not sure if SiriusXM is providing an online listening account for Free of if it's extra (don't assume either way on that)
The technology simply couldn't be supported any longer
The SATELLITE Portion of the Stiletto 100 and Stiletto 2 will remain the same.

Reactions: JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Woah. I didn't expect that would be something that would happen.
I suppose that it makes sense that they would update the streaming format at some point.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That sucks. So much for listening to NFL today on Sunday's. As a Canadian I have no ability to use the phone to listen as I get the SXM Canada app. Of course since they use flash, its blocked native from the phone. And they have blocked each and every 3rd party app.

I still use the stream on the TTR1. Once they stop supporting that, I will just cancel my $5/month for the internet stream.

Very disappointed.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
That sucks. So much for listening to NFL today on Sunday's. As a Canadian I have no ability to use the phone to listen as I get the SXM Canada app. Of course since they use flash, its blocked native from the phone. And they have blocked each and every 3rd party app.

I still use the stream on the TTR1. Once they stop supporting that, I will just cancel my $5/month for the internet stream.

Very disappointed.
I'd be shocked if the TTR1 isn't supported. In fact I just don't see that happening. And BTW, the TTR2 should be out in the next few months. All that stuff is probably simple and more consistent. The Internet Radio feature on the Stiletto was Pre SiriusXM app.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'd be shocked if the TTR1 isn't supported. In fact I just don't see that happening. And BTW, the TTR2 should be out in the next few months. All that stuff is probably simple and more consistent. The Internet Radio feature on the Stiletto was Pre SiriusXM app.
If they kept it 2-3 years more they would likely outlive all the SL still active. Then it could have just faded into the sunset without fuss.

TTR1 was pre SXM too. Changed to SXM logo with firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i know it makes a million times more sense to focus on the app for listening on the go. its clearly the most convenient option since pretty much everyone has a smartphone but i miss the devices. getting a dedicated sirius radio portable was fun back in 06-whenever the SL2 came out. i used th S50 and SL2 to death.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
i know it makes a million times more sense to focus on the app for listening on the go. its clearly the most convenient option since pretty much everyone has a smartphone but i miss the devices. getting a dedicated sirius radio portable was fun back in 06-whenever the SL2 came out. i used th S50 and SL2 to death.

The devices were probably 50 percent of the traffic in the early days on Sirius Backstage. Installs 25 percent. I think DAB or Manco did a lot of hardware reviews. Halcyon days.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The devices were probably 50 percent of the traffic in the early days on Sirius Backstage. Installs 25 percent. I think DAB or Manco did a lot of hardware reviews. Halcyon days.

Sirius has never been good at supporting their hardware beyond the point the stop retailing. Every time I have to do a device recovery I expect the site not to work because they have taken down the software.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I still have an SL100 and an SL2 collecting dust in the closet.

Now that Internet Streaming is obsolete, that kills the resale values of the units.

Internet Streaming was one of 2 main features of each device.

The SL100 and SL2 are no better than the S50 now.... and I like the S50 more because you can still record individual songs from pre-recorded streams. No other radio has that. ;)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If I still had a Stilleto, I'd be a bit mad. But, this is the natural lifecycle, I suppose. I could NEVER get mine to work "on the go" without the antenna headphones. I loved having it on internet radio before the timeout feature. I'd just keep it plugged in to internet all night playing Spa. :)

I'd imagine the Tivoli radios stopped working a long time ago?? Those things looked so cool.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I did not receive a letter about the internet service. I'll have to see if it's true in October. I have to R&E my SL2 every month and I'm too lazy to put in the wifi password or sue presets. It records at night so I have fresh content to listen to by day.

The internet radio feed was substantially louder than a recording and the same quality of sound.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sirius has never been good at supporting their hardware beyond the point the stop retailing. Every time I have to do a device recovery I expect the site not to work because they have taken down the software.

That thread I started about the updated ZAP should still be stuck to the Sirius Portables for some reminiscing.

When the..ARGH CAN'T REMEMBER...company went under, that essentially killed the SL radios.

I still have my SL100 car dock with the sides cut off to accommodate the SL2. Like others, I dumped the SL2 when I got an iPod Touch with the app.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That thread I started about the updated ZAP should still be stuck to the Sirius Portables for some reminiscing.

When the..ARGH CAN'T REMEMBER...company went under, that essentially killed the SL radios.

I still have my SL100 car dock with the sides cut off to accommodate the SL2. Like others, I dumped the SL2 when I got an iPod Touch with the app.
I use my SL2 to listen to pre-recorded AT40 and 80s countdowns.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I still have mine in a drawer.
I should have been using it as a backup to my lynx for all of this time.

Sent from Tapatalk

sgniwder

Nov 10, 2008
I finally received an email on this today indicating that the internet will not longer work on the Stiletto after September 30.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
My email verbiage is probably one of many:
Dear Valued Listener,

Our records show that you may be listening to SiriusXM using a Sirius Stiletto. On September 30 we are improving the way we stream the SiriusXM Internet Radio service. The Stiletto is not capable of streaming the new enhanced service. To ensure you don't have any interruption in listening, we recommend you download the new mobile app that will let you to listen to SiriusXM on your smartphone, tablet, PC or current internet-connected sound system.

This has no effect on your account and the billing of your SiriusXM Internet Radio subscription package. This also has no effect on listening to SiriusXM by satellite. If you have any questions please call us at 1-888-601-6296 and reference your device.

The mobile app is free and can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or for Android from Google Play. Plus the new mobile app includes many features not available on the Stiletto:

On Demand — listen to your favorite episodes from our catalog whenever you want
MySXM — personalize your favorite music channel to tune the programming to your taste
Start Now — listen to programming from the last 5 hours
Tune Start — every song starts at the beginning whenever you change channels

Please download the new app at your earliest convenience to get the most listening enjoyment from SiriusXM.

Thank you for your loyalty and for being a SiriusXM listener.

I've read about the larger bit rate proposal and wonder why it matters since the quality of sound is impacted by the device receiving the signal.

I found a link to customer care that conflicts with the email regarding my SL2: What are the computer requirements for streaming SiriusXM? What devices are supported?

Flash and Firefox are having issues, the Stiletto 2's are listed as compatible and no mention of Windows 10 for in the OS category.

Like most things with a company this size I'll log in on October 1st and see if anything has changed.

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
I have Windows 10 on my laptop and I stream xm on it with no problem so it is compatible.[they just haven't added it to the list yet]