Sundials in most areas will not be correct on Sunday...

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Evil_Ernie, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

You wrote, "if you live down south, like Florida or Arizona or Louisiana or So Cal, you don't have the sunrise problem. But up north, we do." Okay, then here is my solution: On November 3, when Daylight Saving Time is scheduled to end, residents of every state except Arizona and Hawai'i turn their clocks back a half-hour instead of an hour. Then we leave the clocks the way they are – no more time changes, ever – and those of us who live in Los Angeles, El Paso and Baton Rouge will never be driving home from work in pitch-black darkness at 6 PM and people who live in Montpelier, Nashua and New York City will never have sun shining through their bedroom windows at 4 AM.

On paper, at least, this proposal sounds good.

To me, anyway.

2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I've said that too... just pick the half hour in the middle and run with it all year.

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Run DST all year. Screw coming home in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

4. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

So in January, sunrise will be at 8:15 here. No.

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Leave the clocks alone. Just go to work later. Or earlier. The end result is the same and DST related time calculation errors go away. There is nothing magic about 9 or 5.

6. IdRatherBeSkiing

Tell that to my boss or the people that schedule meetings between 9-5. Unless EVERYBODY does it, it isn't viable. By moving the clocks, everybody does it.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

I am ok with that. I am also ok with changing my clocks twice a year. The am not ok with an 8pm sunset in July. And coming home @ 5 in darkness in the winter is something I tolerate knowing I will be flipping the clock back on March. If you don’t change the clocks leave it sprung forward.

You can always sleep in.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

If we can get everyone to change their clocks we can get everyone to not change their clocks.

9. scotchandcigar

This is an idiotic concept. Every company in the entire world is not going to change their work hours every few months, all year, every year. TV shows are broadcast from a couple of places in the US. They're not going to keep moving broadcast times all year. Each community will not adjust school start times and bus schedules to people's ever adjusting lives. Get real.

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You are an idiotic concept. Every company already changes their work hours twice a year. Everything you describe already happens.

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

Time is on my side.

Yes. It is.

HecticArt likes this.
  12. scotchandcigar

Hyson?

13. scotchandcigar

No company changes work hours, neither do schools, busses or broadcast TV. Once a year, everyone uniformly changes the reference time or goes back.

14. IdRatherBeSkiing

I bet even his midnight theatre doesn't change showtimes.

15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You must understand that when we change the clock, we don't change time. We just change when we do stuff. In spring we do everything an hour earlier. In fall we go back to how it was. We change work hours, school hours, broadcast times, all of it. Surely you understand this.

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

All theaters that observe DST change their show times. The open an hour earlier in spring.

17. IdRatherBeSkiing

Certainly you understand it is easier to just change the clocks.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  18. scotchandcigar

If you weren't so busy being condescending, you'd have noticed I used the term "reference time". But then you'd have no excuse to treat me like a juvenile, which probably makes you feel better.

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

No, I do not. It is easier to leave the clocks alone. Changing the clocks requires action, effort, energy. Not changing the clocks does not.

I apologize. That was not my intent.

But you do know that companies, schools, etc all change their hours when we switch between DST and ST, don't you?