Sundials in most areas will not be correct on Sunday...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
who-else-bored-memes.png

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We need a thread that lists all the incredibly lame stuff we get into heated arguments about. It'll probably take about an hour to put it together, which would be no time at all if it's done on the day we go back to standard time.

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yes. My opinion is based on the effects the time changes have on my own poor lil' body and my difficulty in adjusting to them. I hate time changes. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Changing the clocks is expensive. Let's imagine your computers do backups every day at 2:30am. That means one day out of the year, which can't be predicted by an algorithm, there will be zero 2:30ams, and no backup will happen. Another day out of the year, equally unpredictable, there will be two 2:30ams, so two backups will happen.

You can add code to check for these exceptional days, but it will need to be fed with the latest schedule of transition days. It will also have to check if its location matters, since some locations ignore DST. And it will have to cope with the possibility that a location may vote to ignore or honor DST.

All of this nonsense costs money.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
But if you now need to do the backups at 3:30 because everybody has changed their schedules and reposted new hours of operation that will cost a similar amount of money.

The cost you speak of is primarily already spent. The only additional cost is removing the time change if you decide to do so.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
But if you now need to do the backups at 3:30 because everybody has changed their schedules and reposted new hours of operation that will cost a similar amount of money.

The cost you speak of is primarily already spent. The only additional cost is removing the time change if you decide to do so.

No, the time change happens on a different day each year. It is not algorithmic. It requires constant maintenance.

If we stop changing the clocks all of these exceptions go away.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No, the time change happens on a different day each year. It is not algorithmic. It requires constant maintenance.

If we stop changing the clocks all of these exceptions go away.

It is algorithmic. 2nd Sunday in March and 1st Sunday in November. And if you don’t want to code it algorithmically then you can just use a giant table. The only cost is if you suddenly decide you want to change the algorithm or stop changing.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Believing we will have "an extra hour of daylight" by changing the time on our clocks by one hour is akin to believing we can make a blanket one foot longer by cutting 12 inches off one end and sewing it to the other end. No further questions, your honor.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Believing we will have "an extra hour of daylight" by changing the time on our clocks by one hour is akin to believing we can make a blanket one foot longer by cutting 12 inches off one end and sewing it to the other end. No further questions, your honor.

Time is relative. It is governed or we have been trained to use the hands of the clock to measure it. If the sun sets at 9 instead of 8 that is one more hour of evening daylight. The sun rise is now 6am and not 5am but nobody who is sane is up at 5am anyways.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Changing the clocks is expensive. Let's imagine your computers do backups every day at 2:30am. That means one day out of the year, which can't be predicted by an algorithm, there will be zero 2:30ams, and no backup will happen. Another day out of the year, equally unpredictable, there will be two 2:30ams, so two backups will happen.
You're using a debate tactic, whereby you attempt to filibuster people into numbness. But if one actually reads what you write, it's pure nonsense.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
It is algorithmic. 2nd Sunday in March and 1st Sunday in November. And if you don’t want to code it algorithmically then you can just use a giant table. The only cost is if you suddenly decide you want to change the algorithm or stop changing.

It isn't algorithmic. It's legislated. It changes at the whim of legislature.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You're using a debate tactic, whereby you attempt to filibuster people into numbness. But if one actually reads what you write, it's pure nonsense.

This is no filibuster. This is 30+ years of work experience. Ignore it if you like, or counter it with your own arguments, but stop insulting me. I respect your knowledge. Please extend the same courtesy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It isn't algorithmic. It's legislated. It changes at the whim of legislature.

The current configuration is algorithmic. It can be programmed for and has been programmed for. Nobody does DST patches each year (unless they are a really poor programmer).

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The current configuration is algorithmic. It can be programmed for and has been programmed for. Nobody does DST patches each year (unless they are a really poor programmer).
It was changed, by legislation, in 1987 and 2007. No algorithm can predict that. When will DST start in 2027? 2047? No one knows.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
If we turned our clocks ahead twelve hours, all the people who are now working night shifts and sleeping in the daytime would then, without changing their work hours, be working when it's light and sleeping when it's dark. Of course all the rest of us would wind up working when it's dark and sleeping when it's light. Now that I think about, this is a terrible idea. Forget about it.