Terrestrial Repeaters??

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I thought there was a transfer window where two were on for a few hours a day. But if only one is working then better find a southern window. I always had great luck with sirius with the antenna inside on the floor facing south. Right up against the wall too. That's after the sitting bird went up of course.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Maybe I got lucky being near a repeater? My antenna was near no window and facing east to southeast (but facing the repeater.)

If I turn it on approx same time each day, well, it's possible it's that same "dead time" so oh well.

Still gotta call.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
The repeater part of it doesn't really matter where the antenna sits. As a directional piece of gear the satellite signals do care where the antenna is. If the repeater signal is strong enough it will pick up anywhere in your house, nearly.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have only seen one SXM model on sale in and around this area, all the others are on the Sirius platform. There were very few dead spots in town, but my girlfriend likes the fact her old school Starmate works in the underground parking of Superstore :)

I don't mean the radio, but they should have basically made every repeater do both Sirius & XM signals. That way 10 years down the road when they have hardware that will get the whole spectrum they can release it without having to worry about areas not getting 1/2 the channels.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
I don't mean the radio, but they should have basically made every repeater do both Sirius & XM signals. That way 10 years down the road when they have hardware that will get the whole spectrum they can release it without having to worry about areas not getting 1/2 the channels.
Agreed about the terrestials - merely commenting on the dominance of the Sirius platform in my area over the XM platform in the retail area.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Agreed about the terrestials - merely commenting on the dominance of the Sirius platform in my area over the XM platform in the retail area.
I am surprised you have any retail presence at all. Here you get what looks like leftover junk sort of in a corner of the store. Basically stuff in inventory they want to get rid of.

IndustrialH

"Not dead... just resting"
I am surprised you have any retail presence at all. Here you get what looks like leftover junk sort of in a corner of the store. Basically stuff in inventory they want to get rid of.
It comes from living above the lower mainland area of BC - driving 80k to my old place of residence means changing channels on terrestial radio at least three times - some stations have repeaters - some not. The AM station goes to night power after dark to cut interference, its hard to hear it 60k away at night. The FM's start going west the moment you leave town.... and is the service for a city of 85,000! It's the same with internet - cable/DSL/fibre only goes so far then its the land of Xplornet. There were loads of receivers etc in thrift stores for a while, but it seems from new car buyers who now have inbuilts, it's a drought now. :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It comes from living above the lower mainland area of BC - driving 80k to my old place of residence means changing channels on terrestial radio at least three times - some stations have repeaters - some not. The AM station goes to night power after dark to cut interference, its hard to hear it 60k away at night. The FM's start going west the moment you leave town.... and is the service for a city of 85,000! It's the same with internet - cable/DSL/fibre only goes so far then its the land of Xplornet. There were loads of receivers etc in thrift stores for a while, but it seems from new car buyers who now have inbuilts, it's a drought now. :)
SXM has almost entirely forgotten the retail market. I guess they figure everybody has it in their car or listens online.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
SXM has almost entirely forgotten the retail market. I guess they figure everybody has it in their car or listens online.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
That Future of SXM article that Koop found talked about where they are finding their customers and where they expect to find their cash in the future. Unfortunately, there isn't growth seen for plug and play radios. They seem to be making some decent cash off of factory car radios/subscriptions. I would expect them to purge down to 3 or 4 options as people embrace apps and streaming.
The Future Of Siriusxm? | Digital Radio Central