The All-Steroid Team

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The All-Star Game is coming up, but this isn't that. This is the All-Steroid Team. Who's on your team? My lineup looks like this...

1. 2B Chuck Knoblauch

2. SS Miguel Tejada

3. CF Barry Bonds

4. 1B Mark McGwire

5. 3B Alex Rodriguez

6. RF Sammy Sosa

7. LF Manny Ramirez

8. DH Rafael Palmeiro

9. C Ivan Rodriguez

Starting Pitcher - Roger Clemens

Bullpen - Andy Pettite, Kevin Brown, Chuck Finley

Bench - Ken Caminiti

I could have gone with someone like Juan Gonzalez or Jason Giambi on the bench, but Caminiti is (was) a switch-hitter...very versatile! Besides, gotta represent those Houston Astros!

Last edited:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
1. 2B Chuck Knoblauch

2. SS Miguel Tejada

3. CF Barry Bonds

4. 1B Mark McGwire

5. 3B Alex Rodriguez

6. RF Sammy Sosa

7. LF Manny Ramirez

8. DH Rafael Palmeiro

9. C Ivan Rodriguez

Starting Pitcher - Roger Clemens

Bullpen - Andy Pettite, Kevin Brown, Chuck Finley

Bench - Ken Caminiti

DH = David Ortiz

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
1. Lenny Dykstra - CF
2. Fernando Vina - 2nd
3. Barry Bonds - LF
4. Mark McGwire - 1st
5. Alex Rodriguez - 3rd
6. Ivan Rodriguez - C
7. Luis Gonzalez - RF
8. Cal Ripken, Jr. - SS
9. Roger Clemmens - P

If this team were playing by the pussy rules, I would have Manny Ramirez DH.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I have never heard Ripken's name associated with PED's...has he ever been?

I found what I thought to be a pretty complete list here - Baseball's Steroid Era: List of Players Linked to Steroids and/or Human Growth Hormone

I've been deadly accurate in nailing down the users. I'm a little on the fence with Ripken, but I certainly leaning towards him having done it. I know Gonzalez did it, he just wasn't caught. I could have used Caminiti at third, but his abuse of the drug ended in tragedy. It's too much of a bummer.

By the way....it's total BS that baseball, or the powers that be are milking the names on the list. Just come out with them already. I wouldn't doubt if another name is leaked during the All Star Break and then another during the playoffs.

I think Ripken's name is as good as gold, same with Griffey, so I think MLB will do whatever they can in their power to protect what players they can. I'd be shocked if anything were to come to light regarding those two.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
If you're right about Ripken, that would be a very interesting situation. Of course Ripken is already in the Hall of Fame. So if his name were to be linked with PED's at some point in the future, I wonder what would happen.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Think of the stamina involved in breaking a record that stood for sixty years? People are fixated on the home runs or the home run records, that's why so many pitchers flew under the radar for so long. Let us not forget what these types of drugs do better than anything else, they help you recover faster so that you can last longer, stay fresher and ultimately be more productive because you're able to perform.

Not everyone that took these "enhancements" were breaking records or doubling their home run totals.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
If you're right about Ripken, that would be a very interesting situation. Of course Ripken is already in the Hall of Fame. So if his name were to be linked with PED's at some point in the future, I wonder what would happen.

Shock and outrage...a tearful press conference and four-month boners for all of the on air talent in Bristol, Connecticut.

Nothing would happen. It was the game at the time. People will accept it. If you don't believe me, watch Manny Ramirez' homecoming in Los Angeles in a few weeks.

Hypocrites.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Think of the stamina involved in breaking a record that stood for sixty years? People are fixated on the home runs or the home run records, that's why so many pitchers flew under the radar for so long. Let us not forget what these types of drugs do better than anything else, they help you recover faster so that you can last longer, stay fresher and ultimately be more productive because you're able to perform.

Not everyone that took these "enhancements" were breaking records or doubling their home run totals.

Oh it's all very true. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ripken dabbled in the PED world, I had just never heard his name mentioned in that conversation though. I've heard rumors of Luis Gonzalez before...and David Ortiz has raised eyebrows with his lack of production this year of course.

I'd be okay with just about anyone being linked to PED's except two guys...Biggio since I'm an Astro fan, and Griffey, my favorite player growing up. I think eventually we'll see Bagwell's name come out.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
You guys think Albert Pujols ever juiced?

Just wondering. :idunno:

He's certainly a big, muscular guy. The thought has crossed my mind before.

I think the only guy that I'm 100% positive about being clean is Craig Counsell. If he's ever linked to PED's, I'd be shocked.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I think Albert juiced and is using the HGH at the moment. I hope with all of the sample testing that they save these tests for the future when a more proper and conclusive test for HGH can be administered.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
How about Brady Anderson?

1994 Baltimore 12 hr
1995 Baltimore 16 hr
1996 Baltimore 50 hr !!
1997 Baltimore 18 hr
1998 Baltimore 18 hr

He got real big in 1996.

I always wondered about Dave Parker late in his career (Cincinnati). I witnessed his play quite a bit at riverfront up close and wondered how he got so big at his age. Many in the media/other teams commented that he looked more like a bodybuilder than a baseball player.

The Juan Gonzalez stories from players/coaches from his stint on the Indians are pretty humorous. I guess he was busted with his entourage (he had personal "handlers" and "trainers", living in a downtown hotel - didn't use the team resources) trying to exit Canada with bags of roid-like goodies after a trip to Toronto. The stories now state that he was pretty close to not being allowed back in.

Big hothead Albert Belle was there at the same time... Hmmm. Maybe more than bat corking going on back then,

...... which brings up an interesting sidebar - since the steroid craziness started hitting the headlines, cases of manipulating bats has disappeared. I guess that corking a bat is nothing compared to corking your biceps.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Smaller ballparks, tighter baseballs, juiced players, expansion, protective gear, Coors Field....you name it, it's all about giving the people what they want...home runs.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
How about Steve Garvey & Jose Cruz? :right:

That freak John Olerud used a batting helmet to cover up his large mellon :worried:

Chuck Finley? You mad? :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
How about Steve Garvey & Jose Cruz? :right:

That freak John Olerud used a batting helmet to cover up his large mellon :worried:

Chuck Finley? You mad? :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

I think Olerud had to wear a helmet in the field as a precaution. I believe he had a brain aneurysm before he got to the MLB.

How about Brady Anderson?

Definitely.