The Artie Lange Show

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
This what happened, listening to Artie last night. The show is on the same affiliates, and on siriusxm on 3 different channels. I believe it's still on directv as well. Nick wanted to do a straight sport show, with regimented segment times, and wanted to talk half of the time. Artie wanted to do free form, break whenever, talk as much as possible. Artie wrote bits for the show, Nick wanted to read the sports news/regular news and comment on it.

They disagreed. Management decided to go with Artie, for reasons you all know. He has a built in radio audience. A loyal fan base. Nick had a radio show before, it went nowhere. For a good chunk of the last year I thought to myself "why is Nick on this show?" Artie doesn't need him. He's plenty of personality, story telling, comedian, and asshole for his own show. I think this is the best thing for him, quite frankly.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This what happened, listening to Artie last night. The show is on the same affiliates, and on siriusxm on 3 different channels. I believe it's still on directv as well. Nick wanted to do a straight sport show, with regimented segment times, and wanted to talk half of the time. Artie wanted to do free form, break whenever, talk as much as possible. Artie wrote bits for the show, Nick wanted to read the sports news/regular news and comment on it.

They disagreed. Management decided to go with Artie, for reasons you all know. He has a built in radio audience. A loyal fan base. Nick had a radio show before, it went nowhere. For a good chunk of the last year I thought to myself "why is Nick on this show?" Artie doesn't need him. He's plenty of personality, story telling, comedian, and asshole for his own show. I think this is the best thing for him, quite frankly.

Back in 2008 or so, I heard the "coke in a pig suit" story for the first time. It was 100% worth the wait.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
When Artie was on THSS and would make some dubious comment on sports, the listeners would let him have it and call him out on being wrong, which irritated him. I'm curious to see how he's going to cope on his own. Mind you, I don't think it'll be for too long; there's no way he doesn't suffer from the side effects of Hawaiian Punch again real soon.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
That's true, he has some 90's knowledge, but not like the 70's. I imagine he'll do less sports rap now that nick is gone.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Who knows, maybe Artie will do Butt Bongo Fiesta or Dial-a-Date and be in direct competition with Howie.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
btw, how can artie host a sports show solo when he only knows 70's and 80's yankees info?

He can recite the lines from Godfather I and II verbatim. he is the genius of instantaneous allusions and associations (I think that's what I mean). But he needs another genius to put his talents in the right format.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
He can recite the lines from Godfather I and II verbatim. he is the genius of instantaneous allusions and associations (I think that's what I mean). But he needs another genius to put his talents in the right format.

Maybe he and Jackie can get together with MaFB for a superfan show.

See, being a Programming Director is easy peasy.

Salesman

Jul 27, 2011
This is bullshit. No way Nick would quit and leave money on the table. They paid him and they only do that after a firing. He said on twitter that he can't talk about it for legal reasons.

Something strange definitely happened. Artie missed a week and half in December with the flu. There are many clips of the show on youtube where Artie is nodding off and Nick is looking at him thinking "What the fuck?" Nick's eyes are in shock at what he's seeing.

Also the show suffered when it went to Directv. I listened every night but after the move to Directv it became unlistenable. Too many boring guests, too many musical acts etc etc. They lost the charm they had.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
This is bullshit. No way Nick would quit and leave money on the table. They paid him and they only do that after a firing. He said on twitter that he can't talk about it for legal reasons.

Something strange definitely happened. Artie missed a week and half in December with the flu. There are many clips of the show on youtube where Artie is nodding off and Nick is looking at him thinking "What the fuck?" Nick's eyes are in shock at what he's seeing.

Also the show suffered when it went to Directv. I listened every night but after the move to Directv it became unlistenable. Too many boring guests, too many musical acts etc etc. They lost the charm they had.

Hmm...sounds vaguely familiar.