The Dumb Dodo Thread

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm the dumb dodo. We were in Lowes getting a few things (we walked out with nothing), and I needed a little bottle of fuel stabilizer or dry gas for my snowblower, so I can put it away. The guy working there said "I recommend just letting it run empty".

So I let it run empty. First I had to engage the drive to bring it down to the walkout basement, and get it up the step-in. No problem, it's running anyway. Now I have it in the doorway of the basement, with the exhaust pointing outside. It should take maybe 10 or 15 minutes, right? After all, it's just got a little fuel left from the last time I used it.

So it runs, and I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Two hours, forty-five minutes. I just don't understand. The entire afternoon was spent keeping an eye on it, and listening to it run full-bore. I'm a dumb dodo.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My ears ring like church bells.

Too many years working in a wood shop, too many concerts, and too much time in terrible basement bands.
Nobody ever wore hearing protection till it was too late.

I think it was the David Lee Roth concert back in 1986 or so that made my ears ring for 6 days straight. Oops.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mister Hectic, have you ever seen the 1940 Laurel & Hardy film Saps At Sea? Several men -- including Mr. Hardy -- suffer nervous breakdowns while working at a horn factory. "Horns! Horns!! Horns!!!" And I consider the Dumb Dodo thread a good place to post this colorized version of the movie. You'll notice the boss wears hearing protection when he's in his private office.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
My ears ring like church bells.

Too many years working in a wood shop, too many concerts, and too much time in terrible basement bands.
Nobody ever wore hearing protection till it was too late.

I think it was the David Lee Roth concert back in 1986 or so that made my ears ring for 6 days straight. Oops.
Fortunately, my golden ears are good at dampening on their own. I take care now, but I've had my share of experiences.

Hands down, standing about 20 feet from the speaker stack of a Doobies concert at Belmont Track was the most damaging.

Most of the times I've played in bands, I've had the speaker system in front of me.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Mister Hectic, have you ever seen the 1940 Laurel & Hardy film Saps At Sea? Several men -- including Mr. Hardy -- suffer nervous breakdowns while working at a horn factory. "Horns! Horns!! Horns!!!" And I consider the Dumb Dodo thread a good place to post this colorized version of the movie. You'll notice the boss wears hearing protection when he's in his private office.

Well sometimes it takes a while before the life lessons of Laurel and Hardy ink in to a 18 to 20 year old kid.

Fortunately, my golden ears are good at dampening on their own. I take care now, but I've had my share of experiences.

Hands down, standing about 20 feet from the speaker stack of a Doobies concert at Belmont Track was the most damaging.

Most of the times I've played in bands, I've had the speaker system in front of me.
For concerts we always got really close to the stage. They didn't fly the speaker arrays from the ceilings, and it was always massive stacks of speaker cabinets right at head height.

In our crappy bands, my stack amp was about shoulder height on one side of me, and our drummer's crash symbol was right by my other shoulder. Our motto was, If you can't play good, play loud!" We were really loud......

It took way too long to realize I'd been messing my hearing up. Fortunately, it's just tinnitus, and there's no actual hearing loss.

These days, I take better care so that things don't get worse. Laurel and Hardy are always with me.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfrising13.com
I'm the dumb dodo. We were in Lowes getting a few things (we walked out with nothing), and I needed a little bottle of fuel stabilizer or dry gas for my snowblower, so I can put it away. The guy working there said "I recommend just letting it run empty".

So I let it run empty. First I had to engage the drive to bring it down to the walkout basement, and get it up the step-in. No problem, it's running anyway. Now I have it in the doorway of the basement, with the exhaust pointing outside. It should take maybe 10 or 15 minutes, right? After all, it's just got a little fuel left from the last time I used it.

So it runs, and I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Two hours, forty-five minutes. I just don't understand. The entire afternoon was spent keeping an eye on it, and listening to it run full-bore. I'm a dumb dodo.
Oh that what you did with your snowblower. I thought you were trying to blow things out of your rear. :p

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland