The Good News Thread

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

semipenguin and IdRatherBeSkiing like this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's a nice story, but why am I mentioned? and what does any of it have to do with Bill, Monica, and probably half of the rest of the past presidents?

3. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I believe his 1st paragraph was commenting on your last post. Then he moved on. Perhaps he needs a more obvious separator.

4. Channel98

Mister scotch is correct: My first paragraph was commenting on Mister Hectic's last post. Then I moved on. Yes, perhaps I do need a more obvious separator -- but where would I get one? eBay? Etsy? Harbor Freight Tools? And if I can't afford a new one, would a used one or a refurbished one be okay?

5. scotchandcigar

How about this?

:trollssign:

6. Channel98

So you want Pabbie and Bulda and all the other trolls in the Frozen movie to die of starvation? How cruel!

7. Channel98

A boy born with a heart defect underwent two surgeries in his first year of life and will eventually need a third surgery. The mother couldn't afford to care for the boy and asked a pediatric nurse to adopt him. It was surely a difficult decision for the mother and I'd like to think the adoptive parents will allow the woman to continue to be a part of the boy's life.

Nurse adopts baby she spent months caring for

semipenguin likes this.
  8. scotchandcigar

No offense, but that's one fukked-up story. Technically, it's child abandonment. And why aren't thousands of other special needs kids being given up everyday? Because people have insurance; that's how kids like this should be cared for.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Giving a child up for adoption isn't abandonment.

Also, some people don't have insurance, at least not in the US. And most insurance is crap.

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

But its not a good news story.

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

It's good news for the kid who would have had a much tougher time with a mom who couldn't care for him.

Sure, all of the other stuff is really sad, but there's a silver lining for the kid.

12. scotchandcigar

There are millions of kids who are growing up in impoverished or crime-ridden environments. Should we remove all of them from their homes, and place them with wealthy families?

13. scotchandcigar

I understand that by placing the child in a good home, the kid wasn't technically being abandoned. But you can't just elect to give-up your parental rights of a biological child, several years into their upbringing, without a legal declaration of abandonment.

And medical coverage should be available to those in critical need, or at least that was the idea that was implemented about 10 years ago.

14. Channel98

Here is a good-news story which is much more gooder than the previous story. A popular McDonald's slogan says "You deserve a break today." When an employee's car broke down, a customer decided to give her a break -- and a car.

Customer surprises McDonald's employee with car

The complete video:

15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Not the point of my comment or what I believe was the intent of this being in the Good News Thread.
    One kid with a likely fucked-up future, has gotten a chance at a better life because someone stepped up to help.

It may not be good news for everyone in those situations, but at least it's good news for that one kid.

16. scotchandcigar

I know you mean well, as does the article, and I'm not trying to be an argumentative dick. But a child being given-up by his own mother is not a good news story for that one kid.

He's not the only kid who needs special medical care, while living in an underprivileged household. Other kids in the same situation are not being left to die. Am I wrong?

17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Probably.

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

They may be left to die if their parents can't afford treatment.

19. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

20. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

all the original Peanuts

semipenguin likes this.