The Good News Thread

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

semipenguin and Aaron like this.
  2. Channel98

HecticArt likes this.
  3. Channel98

Robert Smith, founder of the investment firm Vista Equity Partners, is going to pay off the student loans of 396 new graduates of Morehouse College. Wouldn't it be nice if other billionaires would follow his lead and do similar acts of kindness and generosity?

Morehouse College grads are surprised by a billionaire's promise to pay off their student loans

Robert F. Smith surprises Morehouse grads with promise to pay off student loans - CNN

4. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Great, that helps a few kids, woohoo. I was hoping to get student loan reform with the last election, because my kid (and probably a few million others) pays outrageous interest on her loans. But I guess now we need money to build a wall.

semipenguin likes this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Isn't Morehouse a more prestigious school?
    Are those the students that are less likely to have trouble paying back their loans?

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

That's a loaded question.

It's a private, all male, traditionally black college. 80% of the students receive grants of some type. There is a 13% default rate on student loans.

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

What's the typical default rate?

I've always heard that lawyers and doctors are the most likely to default on their loans.

I paid every penny of mine back.

8. scotchandcigar

Maybe I'm ignorant, but they're known to follow you to the ends of the earth to get their payment, so it seems rather futile to resist. Unless you don't care about ruining your credit.

9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Beats me.
    I was scared of getting followed to the ends of the earth, so I paid mine back.

10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

In 2015 (the year I quoted above for Morehouse) it was 10.8%.

I never took a student loan. My folks paid for two years of college, then ran out of money. I tried paying my own way for a while, but being poor sucked so I quit school and got a programming job. I recognize that path isn't available to most people.

11. scotchandcigar

Mark Zuckerberg took the same path, and it turned out OK for him.

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Same for Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Also Frank Lloyd Wright and Buckminster Fuller.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

It was a different era for those guys. College wasn't required if they worked/mentored under the supervision of an established architect.

....still......that hurts man....... Ouch.

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

College still isn't required, unless you only want to work for people who are convinced college is required.

I taught myself programming in high school. I saved up my pennies and bought a C compiler because I read a magazine article about it and realized it was a cool language. Colleges weren't teaching a lot of C back then, so it was easy to get a job as a C programmer. Once I'd been working a couple of years no one cared about degrees. They just wanted my mad coding skillz.

15. scotchandcigar

That's the thing. In the corporate world, you need a degree to get a job interview as an entry-level candidate. But a few years later, you're now a professional, and you can list your college without indicating whether you got a degree.

But I'm an engineer, so I didn't have the option of doing freelance engineering, because that's not a thing.

16. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

That's loser talk. Plenty of places in the world need engineers and won't ask questions.

17. scotchandcigar

Dick Cheney's Halliburton wasn't hiring at the time.

semipenguin likes this.
  18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

19. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If you want to practice architecture, you need a college degree. You used to be able to sit for the exam if you worked for a licensed architect for something like 15 years.
    Depends on the kind of engineer and the part of the world.