The Pre(((SXM-2.0))) Thread

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
OK, so I've been wondering just what all they are going to do with (((SXM-2.0)))

On demand service is the big rumor, but what else do you think is around the corner?

What would you like to see if they let you call the shots?

Think there will be new channels or talent?

Let the speculation and lobbying begin!

siriusxm20-612.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
More bandwidth to bring back some of the old XM channels like X-Country and Music Lab? That might even get me to resubscribe.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hopefully they bring back channels that everyone has been clamoring for for years.

Examples: (Vacation, Alt-Country, Super Shuffle, Wax, Boombox...)

It would also be nice to have a new portable radio with Wi-Fi capability and expanded playlists with less DJ banter.

Less of the remix shows on the Hip Hop/R&B Channels (hence the return of Wax).....

Hmmm... Maybe I am asking for a little too much...

:p

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
On demand stuff would be nice, I am sure it will be crippled by the RIAA, hence no recording of demand content, etc.

As far as new talent is concerned, I really hope they don't sign ANYONE else, just because Sirius has consistently proven they cannot appreciate or develop RADIO talent and would rather spend a million per year on some TV talent with no radio experience.

Some new channels would be nice, I think a "All Live All the Time" channel would be great, call in type show, etc. While I am wishing: I would like the return of Folktown too.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Hopefully they bring back channels that everyone has been clamoring for for years.

Examples: (Vacation, Alt-Country, Super Shuffle, Wax, Boombox...)

It would also be nice to have a new portable radio with Wi-Fi capability and expanded playlists with less DJ banter.

Less of the remix shows on the Hip Hop/R&B Channels (hence the return of Wax).....

Hmmm... Maybe I am asking for a little too much...

:p

You had me at Boombox! . . .
Posted via Mobile Device

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'd like to see better options for home listening. Internet is OK, but not always convenient. Oh, and bring back PRI and a punk channel, please!
I'd also like to see them stop tightening playlists. I can hear most of the rock channel selections on FM radio. The stuff I can't gets played to death, so much so that I don't care to listen anymore and turn to my iPod instead (yes, I'm looking at you, 1st Wave.)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I doubt it will be new channels.

More like on-demand.

May waste bandwidth on album art of something stupid like that.

I am not holding out too much hope that SXM will do the right thing.

I also think it will cost extra even to lifetimers.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
More bandwidth to bring back some of the old XM channels like X-Country and Music Lab? That might even get me to resubscribe.

Unfortunately, bandwidth is government regulated and there is no way they are getting more bandwidth. They actually have more than they need if not for the simulcasting on the Sirius and XM bandwidths.

I wish they would merge the two to free up half their bandwidth. It would be very costly though. It would alienate half of their subscribers.

However, cell phone companies and Satellite TV companies (when they had owned receivers) used to give the equipment out for free in return for a contract of a 2 year subscription... and they made $$$...

It's just such a waste.. this simulcasting. They could do sooo much with that bandwidth..... CD quility music.. more channels... cover art.. On demand... etc....

Reactions: Aaron

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think it will look a little like Pandora.
There will be some additional on-line only channels.
You will be able to "like" or "not like" songs or artists. Maybe do some other customization.

What I'm waiting on is how the information will get back to Sirius. Will it stream in real time, or will it cache to your device. If you have it installed in a car, will it use your smartphone to communicate your preferences back to Sirius? If you have 1 million users, how will all that content make its way to you?

My guess is that if you don't pay up for the 2.0 service (monthly plan and related hardware), your existing service will, at best, stay the same. If anything, it will probably deteriorate.

Based on their positioning, Sirius XM sees this as a different service tier. You will pay for it.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I feel like I'm missing something here- Since SXM will be streaming their internet radio through the satellites with 2.0, wont that take care of bandwidth limitations? I also remember Mel mentioning that SXM will incorporate customizable play-lists for all channels- probably similar to the online guide when you click on the heart symbol to add a channel to your favorites. I'm also thinking the new radios' design will look similar to the new online player with album art and ways to connect with various social networks(Facebook & twitter).

As far as specialty channels like Band on the Run Radio, Simon & Garfunkel Radio, etc., I think they will only be available with a premium subscription- we'll probably have an option of keeping a regular sub for all existing channels excluding any artist only channels and a premium sub for all the extras, which could include on demand access to every specialty channel that ever aired on Sirius or XM, all Artist Confidential shows, both home and away feeds of sports events, replays of all sporting events and endless other possibilities.

For SiriusXM to continue to compete with the highly competitive world of music services, they need to let the subscribers have more input in the decision making process and step up customer service.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Unfortunately, bandwidth is government regulated and there is no way they are getting more bandwidth. They actually have more than they need if not for the simulcasting on the Sirius and XM bandwidths.

I wish they would merge the two to free up half their bandwidth. It would be very costly though. It would alienate half of their subscribers.

However, cell phone companies and Satellite TV companies (when they had owned receivers) used to give the equipment out for free in return for a contract of a 2 year subscription... and they made $$$...

It's just such a waste.. this simulcasting. They could do sooo much with that bandwidth..... CD quility music.. more channels... cover art.. On demand... etc....

But they can do more with the bandwidth they have. Cut 20 Rock Channels down to about 10. Cut the SAC channels down to three (Margaritaville, GD and Elvis, that's it!)

Make one channel as a 'Artist Showcase' channel per month. Turn down the bandwidth taken up by the Howard Stern channels.

And they've pretty much alienated half the (XM) subscribers when the takeover happened, and they decided to drop Beyond Jazz and X-Country along with several others.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
If I bought a 2.0 radio, I would want to be able to stream everything for my car, home or portability. Music, audios, entertainment clips, sports clips, news, weather forecasts. But I would expect more choices than are currently available. Not necessarily new channels just more from the channels currently offered. I would also want the DJ or no DJ option for music.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
But they can do more with the bandwidth they have. Cut 20 Rock Channels down to about 10. Cut the SAC channels down to three (Margaritaville, GD and Elvis, that's it!)

Make one channel as a 'Artist Showcase' channel per month. Turn down the bandwidth taken up by the Howard Stern channels.

And they've pretty much alienated half the (XM) subscribers when the takeover happened, and they decided to drop Beyond Jazz and X-Country along with several others.

Rock channels sell the service -- like it or not. Adding an obscure specialty channel will not draw in the subs. This was more than proven in the earlier days of both services. If anything, add more rock channels.

Now if you have extra bandwidth, then yes diversify. But don't cut out your bread and butter to appeal to niche audiences.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Rock channels sell the service -- like it or not. Adding an obscure specialty channel will not draw in the subs. This was more than proven in the earlier days of both services. If anything, add more rock channels.

Now if you have extra bandwidth, then yes diversify. But don't cut out your bread and butter to appeal to niche audiences.

But is there really a big difference anymore between Classic Rewind and Classic Vinyl? Once upon a time, I could tell you which was which by the song being played. Now, they are pretty much just the same thing, with one having slightly older songs, and the other having some slightly newer songs. If they are tightening the playlists like they have been, they will eventually have to tighten the channel list - or expand it with different music.

The Pandora-like service would be interesting, for sure. Let me at a punk-themed channel, with the ability to toss in some 1st Wave or whathavenot.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
They better leave Hair Nation alone. I couldn't go on if there wasn't a home for Winger and Whitesnake. Who here could live without Warrants cherry pie? :headbang::buttrock:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
But is there really a big difference anymore between Classic Rewind and Classic Vinyl? Once upon a time, I could tell you which was which by the song being played. Now, they are pretty much just the same thing, with one having slightly older songs, and the other having some slightly newer songs. If they are tightening the playlists like they have been, they will eventually have to tighten the channel list - or expand it with different music.

The Pandora-like service would be interesting, for sure. Let me at a punk-themed channel, with the ability to toss in some 1st Wave or whathavenot.

I liked the old TopTracs before they split it so in this particular case, you could combine the channels and play big hits for the entire span rather than deeper cuts for 1/2 the span. You would save 1 channel.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

I would argue that the majority of XM's subscribers were there because of the niche channels that you couldn't get anywhere else. For me personally, it was Cross Country, Luna, Music Lab, XM Chill, Soul Street and Deep Tracks. All of which either went away or were severely neutered after the takeover.