The Random Post Thread

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I'm assuming Doc Severinsen was a guess. My brother was a music major in college, a trumpet player. We saw Doc's band at William Paterson college in NJ.

Keep guessing.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Congrats Aaron!
:drink4::guitar::partyhat3:

It's Chicago, my absolute first favorite band. The first 3 double-albums are monumental achievements. My older brother saw them live, but by the time I was old enough to go to a concert, they were doing pussy-whipped soft-rock love songs, so I had no interest in seeing them. Of course they still tour, but aside from 3 or 4 members, it's like a cover band.

And speaking of cover bands, I'll be seeing these guys this summer!

They're an extremely talented group of Russian musicians, who do a kick-ass tribute to Chicago. I feel better about this than seeing the original band with a bunch of substitutes.

And these are the other bands on this list that I did see:

Doobie Brothers - Seen them twice, both times in NJ area when I was young. The Belmont Park concert was the loudest thing I'd ever experienced, as we were standing 10 feet from the stage, where a stack of speakers was blasting sound to the outdoor crowd.

David Bowie - Sullivan (Gillette/ Patriots) stadium in Foxboro Mass, glass spider tour, Stevie Ray Vaughn on guitar. About 1986?

Patty Griffin - Just her and her guitar, at a place called the Backstage in Haverhill Mass. Imagine a local bar having a stage where about 100 people can stand right in front of the performer. The best concert performance I've ever seen. She was phenomenal.

Don't tell me what to do.
Now you no longer have to worry about it. :)

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
So this is not exactly what we saw back almost 20 years ago, but it's the closest thing I can find that provides a flavor of a Patty Griffin performance, here with Flaming Red. Just hang in there.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Congrats Aaron!
:drink4::guitar::partyhat3:

It's Chicago, my absolute first favorite band. The first 3 double-albums are monumental achievements. My older brother saw them live, but by the time I was old enough to go to a concert, they were doing pussy-whipped soft-rock love songs, so I had no interest in seeing them. Of course they still tour, but aside from 3 or 4 members, it's like a cover band.

And speaking of cover bands, I'll be seeing these guys this summer!

They're an extremely talented group of Russian musicians, who do a kick-ass tribute to Chicago. I feel better about this than seeing the original band with a bunch of substitutes.
I've watched quite a few of that Russian group's songs on YouTube. It's phenomenal how great and closely they play the classic songs of Chicago.
Dude nails the guitar solo in 25 or 6 to 4.
Very impressive.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I usually to my dad's laundry on my weekends but wasn't feeling so great so I'm doing it now before work. For some reason the dumb thing didn't spin and I loaded the dryer up with soaking wet clothes. It's going to take forever to dry. Hopefully it's done before I have to go.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Oh yea, I forgot about that laundry machine thread.
That's only for discussing positioning of the washer and dryer. If you want to discuss how well they work, you're SOL.

By the way, my wife had been sensing that something was wet or leaking in our laundry room, and a week ago, the tub on our (I think) 8 year old LG washer cracked. It had been having some balance issues, which turned out to be a faulty board that was covered by a recall. But it probably did some damage before it got fixed. It was one of those "no agitator" designs, which we now realize was a bad idea.

We just got a replacement washer on Friday, so it's kind-of funny that you're having washer issues too.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Composting of humans legalized in Washington state - CNN

The body is covered in natural materials, like straw or wood chips, and over the course of about three to seven weeks, thanks to microbial activity, it breaks down into soil.

While the body is being broken down, families of the deceased can visit the facility and will ultimately receive the soil that remains. It's up to the family to determine how they want to use that soil.

Reactions: JHDK