The Spirit - Stairway To Heaven Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by semipenguin, Jun 8, 2014.

?

Do you think Jimmy Page plagiarized the Spirit song "Taurus"?

1. It's an exact match! Randy California deserves credit!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's a little similar, but not enough to give Spirit credit.

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  3. It's not even close. Lawsuit dismissed!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

semipenguin likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The lines ain't so blurred now, are they?
    semipenguin likes this.
  3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I don't. They have a similar "feel", but that can be said of every pop song, including "Give it Up". If all new music has to be entirely novel we will have very little new music.
    semipenguin likes this.
  4. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I agree. I'm sure you can find songs from the 50's and 60's that influenced Marvin Gaye's song. Probably half of all modern popular music has strong influences from older songs. And what about people like Eminem, who basically take an existing song and rap over it? How is this any different than cell phones, or automobiles, or really anything else?

Most importantly, though, is this ridiculous idea that any particular musical pattern has an exclusive and indefinite patent. Drug companies spend billions developing and testing new drugs, and their patent lasts only a few years. Marvin Gaye made his money from that 1977 song, how does the fact that someone made money off that musical line 35 years later affect his estate? If Blurred Lines had not been written, would his estate have otherwise profited from the lack of any similar songs? If anything, I'm sure that sales of Gaye's song have probably shot-up as well. Gaye's estate is just looking for money.
    semipenguin likes this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I haven't listened to the two together to really compare them, but it's really close. Not as close as a Coldplay rip-off, but close.

The guys like Eminem are paying the publishers of the songs they sample a pretty penny.

At least they admit it. Vanilla Ice set the precedence.
    semipenguin likes this.
  6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Lawyers USED to be very un-rock and roll.

Hail hail rock and roll.
    semipenguin likes this.
  8. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I find Brian Eno's work to be especially derivative.
    semipenguin and scotchandcigar like this.
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

FIFY
    Casual Fan likes this.
  10. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

They got $7.4 million, and Marvin got credit. They should be thrilled and should shut up now.
    semipenguin likes this.
  12. scotchandcigar

Actually, they haven't received a penny yet, and I hope it stays that way. I hope the appeal wins. Name me one other thing that earns a lifetime patent against anything similar being sold. This entire legal concept is just hypocritical and wrong.
    HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

This kind of explains why they've come to that decision.

Pharrell Talks 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit for First Time | Rolling Stone

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The more I read and hear, the less blurred the lines are to me, and the more I think they shouldn't get anything.
    semipenguin likes this.
  15. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

If the real thing don't do the trick, you better make up something quick. You gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn to the wick
    Oooo, Barracuda, oh yeah
    HecticArt and Aaron like this.
  16. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

17. scotchandcigar

18. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

It's back!!!!
  19. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

They should just add Randy's name on the credits & give his estate a percentage from here on out. This could only get bad if they don't settle
  20. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I thought these two videos were nicely explanatory. The dude gets into the musical structure a little without getting too college professor on us. And then he gives us a well-reasoned opinion.

scotchandcigar and semipenguin like this.