The Spirit - Stairway To Heaven Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by semipenguin, Jun 8, 2014.

?

Do you think Jimmy Page plagiarized the Spirit song "Taurus"?

1. It's an exact match! Randy California deserves credit!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's a little similar, but not enough to give Spirit credit.

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  3. It's not even close. Lawsuit dismissed!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

P.S. If "Randy California" isn't some single working mom's stripper name, then somebody's leaving money on the table.

HecticArt likes this.
  2. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

The guy makes some good points, but I have 2 of my own.
    1) Any case that's older than Cosby drugging women, has exceeded the statute of reasonable action.
    2) If you really looked into it, about half of all popular songs are variations on other songs. Bob Dylan's albums for the past 20 years, are filled with virtually nothing but him clearing phlegm from his throat, over the same 3 chord blues structure that's been used a million times, yet he's always topping the album sales charts. Nobody's suing him. And in the broader consumer market, from cell phones to prescription drugs, everything's a copy of everything else, and nobody cares.
  3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I think they're going after the money from the remastered version, not so much the 1971 IV album
    scotchandcigar likes this.
  4. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

What's somewhat unfortunate (for either Led Zeppelin or Spirit, depending on where you stand) is that LZ doesn't own their publishing rights any longer and can't do anything about this one way or the other, even if they wanted to. Zep's name gets dragged through the mud again, but it's the publishing company that's being sued, and of course (being corporate pigs) they're going to take the course of action that costs the least money. And that's to defend themselves if they can but settle if they need to.
    semipenguin likes this.
  5. scotchandcigar

6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

7. scotchandcigar

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I didn't expect Zep to win.
  9. scotchandcigar

Me either. Jimmy Page said they toured with Spirit, he owned several Spirit albums, and Robert Plant couldn't really explain how they wrote Stairway very well. The report implies that all that was ignored, and they simply listened to both riffs and decided it wasn't a copy.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the idea of copying melodies is bullshit. In every case, the "copied" melody is itself based on earlier music. That's how music works. I also don't think lawsuits related to decades-old claims hold any merit.
    HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Sounds like Spirit was....................

Denied!
    HecticArt likes this.
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Rock and roll used to be so much more fun before lawyers learned that they could make money off of it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    microbob likes this.