The state of things

Discussion in 'SiriusXM 2.0' started by Casual Fan, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I know the Lynx is cool and all, but it just seems like a slow period for sat radio to me. Sat rad 2.0 is basically more channels with DVR features and a few others. Am I wrong?

IMHO what sat rad has going for it, and had going for it 10 years ago, is portability in your car. For about $13 a month, you get unlimited, multiple channels of music and talk. Can you get that on your phone? Sure--if you have a fat data plan. Can you pre-record it? Yes, which is fine for music, but not for talk. And all this assumes you get a cell signal. The satellite signal is pretty much bulletproof anywhere outdoors (unless you park under a bridge, etc., etc.).

Personally, I'm just not excited much by it. What am I missing?

I'd be excited by a decent portable--something I could throw in my car or the wife's with absolute minimal install (maybe plug in a power cord to save batteries) and hit the road for an eight hour trip. Does the XMP3i fit that role? Or is it tethered in some way to docks and car antennas and what not? Can I plug it into the cigarette lighter, throw it on the dash and go?

2. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

I think that if the XMP3i had wifi capabilities, it would be what you're looking for.

The new car kit for the XMP3i has an FM transmitter built into the 12v plug. I still use the tape adaptor, tho. I have an old Sirius FM modulator that I will be switching to shortly :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2.0 :)

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

I have lacked excitement for it for several years. What excited me was the new portable equipment. They dropped the ball and their "new" stuff has less features than my old unsupported SL2 which I rarely use anymore as well. I use it in my car and as my clock radio. Who can get excited about a glorified AM/FM receiver?

Same with Slacker for that matter. Its neatness has also long gone.

4. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Back in the Day, it was exciting, new equipment, intense competition from XM, car manufactures contracts, new content/contracts. A groundbreaking entertainment option.

Now, the Honeymoon is over, it is a stable, reliable, (and most importantly, MAINSTREAM) platform for entertainment.

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I added Sirius to my car stereo. It's all integrated, with steering wheel controls and everything. I never use it. Instead, I use the Android app. My phone gets more channels and better reception than the satellite receiver. I would only use the satellite antenna if I was traveling outside of cell tower range, but I never do that.

6. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

For years, I raved about satellite radio to my girlfriend. She never listened to me. But she just had to buy a new car recently and she has the SXM trial period. Add that her co workers told her once you have SXM you'll not want to listen to anything else, now she loves it. To her, it's new and exciting. I guess new cars and satellite radio go together. Kind've an upgrade in your life.

For me, the 2.0 Xtra channels faded pretty fast especially after Party Mega Mix was dropped. But I still have my favorites on the regular tier and as long as they are around, I'll be a customer. And I have one radio with the 6months for $25.00 which is nice.

7. syphix

syphix Member

For me, the new online streamer, On Demand and downloadable shows to my phone make SXM much more exciting these days! Then, coming this winter, customized (Pandora-like) channels?? I smell an internet streaming rate increase coming soon...but I'm enjoying it!

8. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I will always be fascinated by Sat radio, even though the excitement has gone down since 2005 when I first played with the demo unit and bought one. I got a lynx this month, and it renewed by love for Siriusxm a bit. I agree, I wish it was a live portable, a bit slimmer, and had the recording or ondemand download features. But hoepfully we will see updates soon to incorporate this. The idea of having a feature where SXM creates on the fly stations based on your listening preferences (like slacker) would be great, but with on demand and radio replays, there is no lack of cached content to get what you wanna hear. if Sirius follows up the lynx with newer and better tech and supports the lynx and upgrades it with more featuers and better sound quality, SXM has a good chance of continuing to compete.

9. voliconjoe

voliconjoe Well-Known Member

When you are stuck in traffic for 2hrs on the way to/from work you'll find the benefit of Sirius. I'm liking the Iphone app sp much I'm going to dump my current setup and install an Iphone kit. No low quality streams is so much better along with GEROGE CARLIN CHANNEL???

The only delay is the change over to a small adapter on the next Iphone so I'll wait till that's out to make the move. I am one of the people who still pay $50+ a month for sirius due to the amount of radios I have including Sirius TV in the minivan.

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

For me, the. Lynx does what you're asking for. It has renewed my excitement for the equipment and the service. (Not that I ever really stopped being into it.) Setting it up in the car is a snap, no crappy FM, station drift, commercials, or only having 2 boring stations to choose from. It's easier to use, especially in the car, than a cell phone. Doesn't eat up your data plan or battery, and you don't have to dark with it to make a call.

I've got something like 120 hours (or whatever it is) of fresh cached music and talk stored on it, a boat load of my personal mp3s, and I can see what's playing on the other channels without changing the station. I get many more interruptions on FM than I go on sat. When you combine satellite reception with wifi, it's really hard to beat all of the functionality out of a single device.

I'm looking forward to the on demand making it to the Lynx. It's a fun device.

Obviously I'm a fanboy, but it really is a big step forward for SXM.

11. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I agree, I have about 108 hours of radio replays. Although it isnt a perfect solution for hving a recording option, it is nice to be able to go to this content when I am away from wifi or my home dock. Once on demand reaches the lynx, hopefully I can DL shows onto it and solve this issue.

12. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Maybe if the SQ was better I would still be excited about it. I hear streaming on the cell phone is better than the signal from the sattelite but I still travel outside the 3G zones quite regularly.

13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Streaming on my Verizon Droid X has better SQ than satellite. Neither are as good as my iPod.

14. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Satellite reception over my home stereo sounds abysmal. Any rock stations are out of the question...Talk sounds garbled. Its not bad with my SL2 and its stereo dock...but my lynx over my stereo system in sat mode is unlistenable..

15. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

If you are used to Sirius sats, XM sounds way different. Visa Versa.

16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That has grown to be my biggest issue with sat radio. Sound quality is barely acceptable, granted you grow use to it. However, once I started caching MOG playlist at 320kb via the iPhone App, I was like WHOA! The SQ different is like night and day!

Then again even Pandora streaming sounds better than SiriusXM.

I still feel the service has value and if I were not getting it for free because they can't seem to get a handle on their deactivations, then I'd be a paying subscriber.

17. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Traffic = ABSOLUTELY true! No commercials to add to the frustration. :bigclap:

Of course the apps are going to have more channels. I guess that's just how it works with limited space on the satellites. Too bad there can't be a way to add more channels to other satellites that only certain radios can pick up. DirecTV and Dish Network are similar...if you have newer satellite TV equipment, you can pick up niche channels that older equipment can't get.

And the Carlin channel is great...that dude was pissed off at EVERYTHING.

18. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

Satellite radio has become very boring except for Sat only channels: Summer Games Radio, Sixx Sense (XM 164)

Online Radio is defiantly where the real fun is. With the addition of every MLB & NFL team having it's own dedicated channel and all the Xtra channels, we're approaching near 100 channels that aren't available on the satellites. Plus all the extra features like: 5 hour buffer on most channels, a constantly growing On Demand library, CD quality audio and many other cool things you can do with the apps, it's well worth the $3.50 p/m and even more affordable with an All Access subscription which comes out to approx $16 a month for a year.

19. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I still enjoy getting in the car and having commercial free music with no hassle. Plenty of good streams to choose from, I never have to settle for a song I don't like.

Getting the iPhone 4S last year finally convinced me to sign up for the online service. I'm loving all the app has to offer!

20. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Exactly. Any variety of music, news, or sports, on one easy to use interface, with no station drift or commercials is priceless to me.

On-line audio quality and on-demand are making the service very robust indeed. Multiple delivery sources is great too. Between the sats, net, and buffering, I'm never without easy access to anything.