The state of things

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Things would have to improve greatly before I decide to get Sirius again. Sound quality wise, programming wise. At this juncture everything I would want out of a service like this, I already have. I'm still a Slacker Plus subscriber, have numerous free options on my phone, and a good enough data plan that I don't have to worry about overages, plus 3G is everywhere I go. In the rare instances I don't get cell service, Slacker caching or my iPod takes over nicely. Not to say it will never happen, maybe after Stern finally leaves.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Exactly. Any variety of music, news, or sports, on one easy to use interface, with no station drift or commercials is priceless to me.

On-line audio quality and on-demand are making the service very robust indeed. Multiple delivery sources is great too. Between the sats, net, and buffering, I'm never without easy access to anything.
See, I don't have a smart phone. (I don't want to get bent over for a data plan mostly.) I think if I did there'd be a whole world of satrad that I'm just not getting now. I wouldn't listen at home (other stuff to do) but I probably would at the office. Still, Spotify serves that function pretty well, as do other services...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
See, I don't have a smart phone. (I don't want to get bent over for a data plan mostly.) I think if I did there'd be a whole world of satrad that I'm just not getting now. I wouldn't listen at home (other stuff to do) but I probably would at the office. Still, Spotify serves that function pretty well, as do other services...
That's the nice thing about the Lynx, no data plan or farting around with your phone. Just slide it into the dock at work or in your car and away you go. Use it with your headphones while you mow the lawn or jog on the treadmill. Lots of flexibility and east to use. I use the phone app from time to time, but phone apps aren't the easiest for me to use during working hours. I make too many calls and emails, and I'm back and forth from my desk too often to leave it connected to my bookshelf stereo. Headphones at work are not always possible either.

I still use Slacker. Mostly in the evening when the office allows streaming services, or when I'm working at home and want some variety.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
That's the nice thing about the Lynx, no data plan or farting around with your phone. Just slide it into the dock at work or in your car and away you go. Use it with your headphones while you mow the lawn or jog on the treadmill. Lots of flexibility and east to use. I use the phone app from time to time, but phone apps aren't the easiest for me to use during working hours. I make too many calls and emails, and I'm back and forth from my desk too often to leave it connected to my bookshelf stereo. Headphones at work are not always possible either.

I still use Slacker. Mostly in the evening when the office allows streaming services, or when I'm working at home and want some variety.
So the Lynx has a belt clip or something that makes it portable? Do you have to listen to just prerecorded stuff when you're mobile, or is it live?

What about the Xmp3i? Is this something I could throw on the dash of my wife's car and take on a trip without a car kit, just using a cigarette lighter power adapter and the built-in antenna?

Last edited:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
What about the Xmp3i? Is this something I could throw on the dash of my wife's car and take on a trip without a car kit, just using a cigarette lighter power adapter and the built-in antenna?
No. The antenna on the XMP3 will not work that good in a moving vehicle :(

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2.0 :)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So the Lynx has a belt clip or something that makes it portable? Do you have to listen to just prerecorded stuff when you're mobile, or is it live?

The Lynx will play what you have buffered while you are not docked or if you aren't near wi-fi. I've got something like 120 hours (I haven't added it up lately) of buffered content. It records your preset stations, so it's stuff you like to listen to. It doesn't have a built in antenna like the Stiletto, but the Stiletto antenna didn't work all that well anyway. (How often are you in the car for over 100 hours?)

In the car without a dock, you can listen to replay material in other cars. Just use their line in, a cassette adapter, or blue-tooth (I believe.) You can move docks between cars pretty easily too though. I did it with my Stiletto a few times. A second magnetic antenna is helpful. (You should have an extra one anyway.)

They didn't make a dedicated holster/case for them, but I found a leather cell phone case that fits it perfectly. I've even dropped it on concrete 2 or 3 times with no problems.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Sigh...I guess we're going to have to wait until cellular broadband is cheap and plentiful to get truly mobile, wearable devices. This is all just compromises.

I could be in the car for 100 hours. You don't know me.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I also have seen cases on ebay listed as 'siriusxm lynx case' but it looks like a generic cellphone leather case, but it looked nice. the preview photos shown did not display the lynx in it, but it must be the same diminsions.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sigh...I guess we're going to have to wait until cellular broadband is cheap and plentiful to get truly mobile, wearable devices. This is all just compromises.

I could be in the car for 100 hours. You don't know me.
If you're in the car that much, a car dock will pay for itself in a couple of weeks.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Why not just use the web app while at work? That's what I do.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Streaming isn't allowed during business hours. I can get around it but I try to be nice to those that can't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2