The world according to IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Couple of updates. My nephew's covid was 2 days with a 'bad cold'. He is testing negative again and back to normal. His girlfriend also recovered.

A friend of mine lost his dog yesterday. Was on a walk and she just collapsed dead. Pretty raw still for me.

And we are no longer going to Barbados. The government of Barbados has made updated their quarantine protocols to make the first 3 days of vacation to be pretty much useless. So Sandals moved us to Antigua. Now I got to change flights. They will pick up any charges for the change although with the airlines being squeezed they are all much more friendly now. Had to change dates by 1 day as flights not available on Saturdays.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Good news w/the nephew and gf! The only person I know who got it was the ex and it was more or less like the flu for her for around 2 weeks. Nice to hear stories of people not dying from it.

Dude, that's a shitty way to lose a dog, but better than it going through a prolonged illness I guess. My last cat, Tom, just up and died in his sleep one day. Not as traumatic as during a walk, but also unexpected.

At least the vacation is still happening, even if the adjustments are a bit annoying.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Couple of updates. My nephew's covid was 2 days with a 'bad cold'. He is testing negative again and back to normal. His girlfriend also recovered.

A friend of mine lost his dog yesterday. Was on a walk and she just collapsed dead. Pretty raw still for me.

And we are no longer going to Barbados. The government of Barbados has made updated their quarantine protocols to make the first 3 days of vacation to be pretty much useless. So Sandals moved us to Antigua. Now I got to change flights. They will pick up any charges for the change although with the airlines being squeezed they are all much more friendly now. Had to change dates by 1 day as flights not available on Saturdays.
Antigua sounds fine to me. We are going nowhere; as we are hoping to pave the driveway in the spring. And besides, no one wants us in their country. I also don't want to have to deal with covid on vacation.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Oh and F u. Now I'm watching this all the way through. I do it like 3 times/year but wasn't expecting it right now. Way to go Scotch...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I realize it is a bonus/privilege to be able to travel anywhere during a pandemic. But this trip was booked all the way back in 2018. When it came time to make the final payment this fall, my wife and I decided that we were going to go for it. With her not knowing how many years she has left we are tending to take the approach of doing our bucket list stuff now rather than putting it off til later. As Tom Cruise said in Risky Business, some times you just gotta say What the fuck.

If we actually do get to go (I will believe it when I am in the air .... scratch that .... through customs) I will have a Strawberry Daquari in each of your honours for your sacrifice of going nowhere. Cheers.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I realize it is a bonus/privilege to be able to travel anywhere during a pandemic. But this trip was booked all the way back in 2018. When it came time to make the final payment this fall, my wife and I decided that we were going to go for it. With her not knowing how many years she has left we are tending to take the approach of doing our bucket list stuff now rather than putting it off til later. As Tom Cruise said in Risky Business, some times you just gotta say What the fuck.

If we actually do get to go (I will believe it when I am in the air .... scratch that .... through customs) I will have a Strawberry Daquari in each of your honours for your sacrifice of going nowhere. Cheers.
If your wife feels well enough to go, you should enjoy a vacation.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I could have sworn in 2017 when I visited Barbados that I saw the southern cross out the window when I got up to pee @ 3AM. In 2018 from Jamaica the southern sky was blocked by mountains. In 2019 in Barbados the planets app had it below the horizon. But reading up, it is visible year around below the 26th parallel but not necessarily at a convenient time. It is my mission this year to see the southern cross regardless of the time.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well, sometimes life throws you a curveball. Sometimes it's a fastball right at your head. I got "a cold" last week. Normal cold symptoms. Symptoms went away after a couple of days. Then this past weekend I got persistent dry cough and fever. I got tested yesterday. Results came back today. I am covid positive. My wife and son getting tested this afternoon. My son has cold symptoms. My wife does not. There is no way she doesn't have it.

The result is our trip is likely cancelled or at least rescheduled. Will see what the options are. I know we have cancellation insurance. But rescheduling would be at the discression of the resort.

I can't tell you how bummed I am about this.

The good news is that I am getting better. But there is no way I could produce a negative result next Wednesday.