The world according to IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well our asshole PM (image attached -- the one in the middle -- he is not black in case you didn't know) has just cancelled all flights from Canada to anyplace good until April 30th. He is also requiring us to get a 2nd test at the airport and then quarantine at a hotel for 3 days for a cost of about $2000. Obviously this pretty much kyboshes our vacation plans. He insists that travel is not a source of covid 19. He is probably reacting to a series of scandals where members of his own government took clandestine trips abroad (including himself if you believe certain rumours) while telling everybody else to stay home. Not sure what I will do now. Could postpone until May if I can afford the extra $2000.

truedope.jpg

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That majorly sucks. It's amazing how many obstacles you've been faced with for one vacation.

Can you fly to a crappy place, and then to where you want from there?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That majorly sucks. It's amazing how many obstacles you've been faced with for one vacation.

Can you fly to a crappy place, and then to where you want from there?
The problem is that the end destination will be on our ticket. If it is 2 separate legs, then we would be subject to the rules of the place we fly to. The most obvious destination would be USA. But you guys now require 2 week quarantine.
Same on way back.

And that doesn't get us out of the $2000 (possibly per person) cost at the end.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I think the only remaining option is to meet Koop at Disney.

But now that I think about it, Aaron, Wolf and even Channel98 all live in warm places. Some of them may even have basements.

• Haha
Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
As a fuck you to our PM and his no travel orders, we are going to Kingston (not Jamaica -- Ontario) next weekend. My wife is giving it to me as a gift for my birthday. She was going to get me a local tour in Antigua but that obviously is not happening. There won't be much to do as it is still in lockdown but a nice quiet weekend with the 2 of us is just what the doctor ordered right now.

As an additional fuck you to our PM, I booked flights to see my dad in Saskatoon, SK for his birthday in March. I had been planning that but wasn't sure what the deal was with the travel advisories. Now I no longer give a fuck.

I am pretty sure the direction I will go is to rebook my vacation for next January back to Antigua. The only question is whether Sandals will allow me to keep my 12% loyalty discount given this will be outside the date restrictions when I originally bought the package. But they have been flexible so far and we will see. I checked and Air Canada has flights then.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wouldn't logic dictate that since both of you have had covid, you can show an antibody test result, and travel wherever you want?
Antibody tests are not in any protocols. Neither is vaccinations. This may change over times. Of course the antibodies will also fade over time.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We enjoyed our weekend in Kingston. It was a tad chilly but everything was closed. We did a driving tour. Saw several armed forces bases (in Canada in the seventies they combined the forces to make them one large incompetent force instead of 3 separate ones. They were allowed after much complaining to each keep their own hats. Anyway I can't tell you what force each base belonged to. The one in Trenton was Air Force). We even saw "Tragically Hip Way". Makes sense since the Hip are from there. Saw the wind blow the water and ice chunks at the end of Lake Ontario. So narrow there that you can see the USA on the other side. In Toronto unless you go onto the 50th floor of a skyscraper you can't see the opposite shore. Anyways good weekend.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Cool thanks! As a kid I was a big geography fan, especially borders between nations. I love it when a border slices an island or peninsula in half and stuff like that. My favorite is Point Roberts, WA. I read something a while ago how kids who live there take a school bus that goes into Canada, then back in to the US each morning. Then they reverse the route in the afternoon. "Passports, please? Yes, you little six year old that I've seen every day since September, you too! Don't make me get the feds!"

And now I'm seeing they are STUCK where they live because of the pandemic. This stuff fascinates me!

Usually, those crossings are a mere formality; before the pandemic, it wasn’t uncommon for U.S. and Canadian citizens to cross the border several times a day for sports practices, shopping trips and visits. But since officials restricted cross-border travel in March, Point Roberts’ roughly 1,000 full-time residents find themselves unexpectedly isolated, estranged from their usual lifestyle. Now, the invisible line dividing the two countries stands in the way of what was once an easy drive, and after four months of the pandemic, people on the Point miss the things they used to take for granted. “It’s very odd to be seven minutes away,” said Jessie Hettinga, a Point Roberts resident. “That was your life, but now, that’s not a possibility.”