Things That Nobody Needs

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Are parents so stupid that they would give their children plastic bags to play with? Judging by that NIH preport, apparently many are. Here is something that is definitely not needed: a fork with a built-in pizza slicer. Amazon sells several different ones. Yeah, what a great gift idea for your friends who eat pizza with a fork. :rolleyes:

upload_2019-3-20_18-0-57.jpeg

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Are parents so stupid that they would give their children plastic bags to play with? Judging by that NIH preport, apparently many are. Here is something that is definitely not needed: a fork with a built-in pizza slicer. Amazon sells several different ones. Yeah, what a great gift idea for your friends who eat pizza with a fork. :rolleyes:

View attachment 5109
Looks like the perfect gift for that Bentley SUV owner.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If anyone is looking for a clear signal that the mega-wealthy in this country have gotten completely out of hand, this is it.

Jeff Koons' $91M 'Rabbit' sculpture sets new auction record

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/jeff-koons-rabbit-auction-record/index.html

upload_2019-5-22_9-20-30.png

Prior to Wednesday's sale, Christie's had described the sculpture as "one of the most iconic works of 20th-century art."

"It is crisp and cool in its appearance, yet taps into the visual language of childhood," read a sale preview on the auction house's website. "Its lack of facial features renders it inscrutable, yet its form evokes fun and frivolity."

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Wrong thread I know, but here is something that everyone needs:

A great way to add a touch of class to any vehicle.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You'll have to explain this to me. What is it about this stuff? He's sold a bunch of his work for 10s of millions each.
You want me to explain art to you? OK, I'll try.

I enjoy his work immensely. He has always played with people's expectations about art, with special attention to the impact Warhol had on those expectations.

His work can be viewed as a cynical criticism of "art as investment" (he was a commodities broker on Wall Street, which earned him enough money to finance his first works). He is absolutely opaque about this, though, always flashing a giant salesman smile and promising his sincerity, which is exactly what a con artist would do.

He doesn't make the art itself. He makes the process to make the art, then hires skilled craftspeople and artists to execute the process. His paintings are really massive "paint by numbers" kits with thousands of numbers. The hands that touch the art are just employees; he's the artist. That challenges our notions of authenticity, but it's how Michelangelo worked most of the time.

His art appeals to me on several levels. I find it visually stimulating and satisfying. I find it conceptually challenging. It's all a big "f you" to the art world, which the art world has absorbed and celebrated.

"I'd really like to see you drive home in this luxurious new balloon dog. What will it take to make that happen today?"

Reactions: semipenguin

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
You want me to explain art to you? OK, I'll try.

I enjoy his work immensely. He has always played with people's expectations about art, with special attention to the impact Warhol had on those expectations.

His work can be viewed as a cynical criticism of "art as investment" (he was a commodities broker on Wall Street, which earned him enough money to finance his first works). He is absolutely opaque about this, though, always flashing a giant salesman smile and promising his sincerity, which is exactly what a con artist would do.

He doesn't make the art itself. He makes the process to make the art, then hires skilled craftspeople and artists to execute the process. His paintings are really massive "paint by numbers" kits with thousands of numbers. The hands that touch the art are just employees; he's the artist. That challenges our notions of authenticity, but it's how Michelangelo worked most of the time.

His art appeals to me on several levels. I find it visually stimulating and satisfying. I find it conceptually challenging. It's all a big "f you" to the art world, which the art world has absorbed and celebrated.

"I'd really like to see you drive home in this luxurious new balloon dog. What will it take to make that happen today?"
I just have to say that I dislike everything about this guy. Right off the bat, I'm not giving a Wall St commodities broker a dime of my money for art, and I don't understand why others do. The vibe he generates is the antithesis of an artist. And the stuff he creates is the epitome of art as a cash-generating industry.

The reason he gets millions for his pieces, is that his work is so recognizably exclusive, that owning a piece is a symbol to the world of your own vast wealth. The art itself is cold, industrial, and juvenile. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I just have to say that I dislike everything about this guy. Right off the bat, I'm not giving a Wall St commodities broker a dime of my money for art, and I don't understand why others do. The vibe he generates is the antithesis of an artist. And the stuff he creates is the epitome of art as a cash-generating industry.

The reason he gets millions for his pieces, is that his work is so recognizably exclusive, that owning a piece is a symbol to the world of your own vast wealth. The art itself is cold, industrial, and juvenile. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Yup. I love his art. I love the his giant, flower covered puppy. I love how it looks and how it makes me feel. I love the absurdity of it. I love his sculpture of two people holding a bunch of puppies, that he shamelessly stole from a copyrighted photograph, was sued over and lost:

I love his basketballs, his porcelain Michael Jackson and Bubbles the chimp, his balloon dogs, his Popeye, his pool floats, all of that stuff.

If no one paid for his pieces I wouldn't care. If they sold for billions of dollars I would find that amusing. It isn't my money so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I see his works in museums and in books without spending millions of dollars, and they bring me joy.