Tidal

Discussion in 'MOG, Pandora, Spotify, Rdio' started by IndustrialH, May 28, 2015.

1. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Never head of it till now. I listen to some Slacker but never streaming. And my understanding is there are several other streaming services -- some of them free. Why would this one be so special?
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

After the initial press release, I haven't heard much of anything promoting it.
    I think Jay missed the whole need to market the thing aggressively if he wanted to try to draw people away from their other established services.

The sound quality of Tidal is supposed to be better than most of the others. Artist buy-in and support is supposed to make for great playlists and early/exclusive content. The artists support it because they get paid better than the other services without having to fight for it.

Jay just missed it.
  4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I miss Jay Z

:burial:
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I miss Jays A through Y too.

Sent from Tapatalk
    semipenguin likes this.
  6. IndustrialH

semipenguin likes this.
  7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I just can't bring myself to give a shit.
  8. IndustrialH

I posted it- it's not to say I read it ! :)
    semipenguin likes this.
  9. IndustrialH

10. IndustrialH

Sprint Takes Tidal Stake to Ward Off Threats from All Sides

MALMÖ, Sweden — Sprint announced that it will buy a 33% stake in Tidal, the “high-fidelity” streaming music service owned by rapper and businessman Jay-Z and other musicians, in a deal reportedly valued at $200 million.

“The tech, telecommunications and media industries are fusing into one,” according to Wired.

Sprint is promising its customers will receive “unlimited access to exclusive artist content not available anywhere else.” Tidal has fewer customers than competing services like Spotify, which claimed 40 million paid subscribers in September, and Apple Music, which boasted 20 million paid subscribers in December. “Sprint seems to be banking on the idea that even though Tidal’s exclusive arrangements with Kanye West, Radiohead, and Prince have failed to translate into a spike paid subscriptions, such premiums might be enough to get people to switch to Sprint, or at least not switch to another provider. It may well not work,” according to the same article in Wired. “But it stems from the same impulse: telcos want to buy up content companies to hedge against multiple assaults on their traditional business models.”

This deal is dwarfed by AT&T’s proposed $85.4 billion acquisition of TimeWarner, and Verizon’s $4.4 billion purchase of AOL: “While telcos’ impulse to gobble up tech and media companies makes sense, it remains to be seen whether these deals will benefit them in the end. Mega-mergers have a tendency to not work out well (Time Warner’s acquisition of AOL is a prime example). Sprint’s investment in Tidal, at least, is lower stakes.”

from Radio Magazine 24th January 2017
    semipenguin likes this.