transferring MP3's from computer to phone - question...

Discussion in 'Other MP3 Players' started by Aaron, May 9, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

The story... my entire music collection is saved on my computer's hard drive, all accessible by Media Player, etc. I'm in the process of moving lots of the music I like onto my new phone via 8 GB Micro SD card.

The dilemma... many of my CD's are music saved up from the early Napster days.
    When I move these onto the phone, they obviously have no song title, and thus end up on my phone as "track 1, track 2... "

Renaming these files on my hard drive, giving each track a song title, doesn't do anything to fix this, prior to moving them to the phone.

The question... is there any way to give these MP3's proper song titles, without having to delete these files and rip them again? since my phone won't allow me to rename files?

:scratch:
  2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

You need to edit the MP3 tags. You can do it right from Windows. Just right click, select "Properties", go to the "Summary" tab and click "Advanced".
  3. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Very cool... thanks Memebag.
    That looks like the info I need to continue.
  4. jmcmahan

jmcmahan Member

I like using AudioShell to edit tracks and albums. It's free and allows you to add album art.
  5. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

You can also use WMP to edit the info.
  6. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

This is my favorite MP3 tag editor:

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

It does a lot of cool stuff like batch processing, renaming files based on ID3 tags, or ID3 tagging based on file name. It was a huge help when I straightened out my MP3 collection to organize and look nice on my ipod.
  7. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

That's a really tedious task. I feel for you.
  8. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I know... hundreds of MP3's to rename! :banghead:

Thanks everyone for the info!
  9. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

It was such a pain when I did my library for the first time. When we decided to get rid of my wife's old CDs I ripped them all to MP3 then surprised her with an 80Gig iPod classic full of her entire CD collection with lots of space to spare. I used the ripping software to tag the files how I wanted, then I spent a LOT of time with MP3Tag using it to auto-rename the files and to add album art to everything. She was totally surprised and loved her gift! And I loved not having those CDs taking up space in the closet...