Turbo And Faction Are Changing!

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Thursday will be a SiriusXM Day. I'm going to check out PopRocks and Indie 1.0. And Carolina Shag will probably be the first limited edition channel on Spotlight Ch.4.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Some of the Faction listeners are complaining about this so hard, you'd think none of then have 2.0 radios or the app.

During this whole AC/DC thing, Faction has still been on MySXM.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Judging from social media, most Faction listeners don't have apps or a 2.0 radio.

If you have the app, Faction has been on 41 the whole time.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I don't think the 2.0 system ever really caught on in the new cars. Nor, in general, did internet radio.

I have an Onyx, but I can certainly see why someone would like a simple button vs a whole contraption. Then again, the current threat is to go to phones which is almost all the way there.

I think the internet thing did. Remember, they had to do all those upgrades to get Howard on there. Add in the MySXM and I do think a ton of people listen online. For a while, radios like the S50, Stilettos, the XM SkyDock and more were all the rage.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
These new channels have meant some changing of other channels' formats.

Lithium is now playing Ben Folds Five. (Really?? Huh?? Not cool.) At least it can be customized.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN

Lithium is now playing Ben Folds Five. (Really?? Huh?? Not cool.) At least it can be customized.

Ben Folds Five are Alternative and are appropriate for Lithium.

I don't think having Turbo will change Lithium very much

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Ben Folds Five are Alternative and are appropriate for Lithium.

I don't think having Turbo will change Lithium very much

Probably not... the addition of one of the other channels was supposed to effect Lithium a bit.

I think I'm developing an issue where I'm seeing the channels as too "decade-based" and not "genre-based enough." I'd LOVE a channel that plays harder rock from about 1988 or so through about 2006 and newer or so. Give me AC/DC, all Pearl Jam, Nirvana, all Metallica, Seether, etc.

Basically, the later classic rewind/vinyl stuff, the harder Lithium stuff, and some of the Turbo stuff all on one channel. Lithium will never play stuff from before 1990 to after 1999...and they should. Nirvana had stuff in the 80s, as did Mother Love Bone. Green Day has stuff after 1999...but hear it on the same channel as Nirvana? Nope!

Reactions: semipenguin

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Probably not... the addition of one of the other channels was supposed to effect Lithium a bit.

I think I'm developing an issue where I'm seeing the channels as too "decade-based" and not "genre-based enough." I'd LOVE a channel that plays harder rock from about 1988 or so through about 2006 and newer or so. Give me AC/DC, all Pearl Jam, Nirvana, all Metallica, Seether, etc.

Basically, the later classic rewind/vinyl stuff, the harder Lithium stuff, and some of the Turbo stuff all on one channel. Lithium will never play stuff from before 1990 to after 1999...and they should. Nirvana had stuff in the 80s, as did Mother Love Bone. Green Day has stuff after 1999...but hear it on the same channel as Nirvana? Nope!

They play R.E.M, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Jane's Addiction 80s stuff. I've even heard some Blink 182 stuff from the 2000s.

I think they need to expand Lithium to 2008 or so and raise Alt Nation to 2005 from 2000. There's be some overlap, but it will expand the playlist

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I don't think the 2.0 system ever really caught on in the new cars. Nor, in general, did internet radio.

You can't fault Sirius for trying. The newest plug and play just hit my email in box. The Onyx ESR is 19.99 for subscribers. A savvy CSR will activate your sub after the free preview period so you get an extra couple weeks of listening. Couple that with the 6 month for $30 offer on sirius.com and possibilities grow.

The terms of the ONYX deal require you to subscribe for six months or be charged the remainder of the 79.99 MSRP.

Tl;dr Get an ESR for 19.99 and take advantage of the 6 month/$30 offer. It comes with a vehicle or home kit.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
You can't fault Sirius for trying. The newest plug and play just hit my email in box. The Onyx ESR is 19.99 for subscribers. A savvy CSR will activate your sub after the free preview period so you get an extra couple weeks of listening. Couple that with the 6 month for $30 offer on sirius.com and possibilities grow.

The terms of the ONYX deal require you to subscribe for six months or be charged the remainder of the 79.99 MSRP.

Tl;dr Get an ESR for 19.99 and take advantage of the 6 month/$30 offer. It comes with a vehicle or home kit.

No you cannot. I would guess most new subscribers like the built in radio they have with their new car and they still either have the 1.o Sirius or XM, not the 2.o stuff. It may be some obligation with the car makers that can't be broken.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

I heard Ben Folds Five that new Indie 1.0 channel along with Modest Mouse and The Postal Service
I'd definitely put Ben Folds Five in the indie/alt category rather than grunge (as implied by Lithium), but as it's been pointed out, many channels are more tied to a decade than a genre. Admittedly, a channel that only played 90's era grunge would be even more monotonous than the channels are already.

Ironically, the "adult alternative" stations on terrestrial radio play more of what some of you are asking for, and they include grunge (which was alternative at the time). SXM has a formula that seems conducive to a lot of channel changing.

Reactions: semipenguin

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I spent most of 1989 in Okinawa and never heard the term "Alternative" until I got back in Jan of 1990.

This is what I considered alternative in 1990

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'd definitely put Ben Folds Five in the indie/alt category rather than grunge (as implied by Lithium), but as it's been pointed out, many channels are more tied to a decade than a genre. Admittedly, a channel that only played 90's era grunge would be even more monotonous than the channels are already.

Ironically, the "adult alternative" stations on terrestrial radio play more of what some of you are asking for, and they include grunge (which was alternative at the time). SXM has a formula that seems conducive to a lot of channel changing.

I'd probably put Ben Folds Five on a XMU or 90sOn9 or maybe Alt Nation before Lithium.

That last sentence of yours is 100% true. I want to hear 90s rock, grunge into early 00s hard rock. My music channels are Lithium, Pearl Jam and Turbo with a small spattering of Faction, 90sOn9 and maybe some Ozzy's Boneyard, Classic Rewind and Classic Vinyl.