Ugh Looking for an apartment

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I have to find an apartment in the next few days. It's such a pain in the butt and I'm so picky about what I want. There are some trade offs I can deal with like bad location in lieu of Parking, In Unit Laundry and new amenities. I've been renting my older brothers condo while he has been living in China and he is coming back and I will be moving out. I've become very accustomed to the large 3 bedroom condo and the fact that is has a nice jacuzzi tub, garage parking and is only about 4 years old. I'm spoiled now. I don't need much space for just me, maybe around 700 sq ft is the minimum and I wouldn't want more than about 1200.

In Chicago I've pretty much been checking out Craiglsist and www.housingmaps.com that kinda plots the ads into a google map. Other than that I'm clueless on finding them but it's just me being too picky. I just don't want to spend much on a place especially with the way the economy is.

How did you find your place?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I tend to contact local colleges. Every major college has a huge index of apartments with reviews from YEARS of students. Just tell them you're a prospective grad student and ask about housing in the area.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Great idea BMF. Also check local military institutions, if there are any in that area. Generally they have a list of available rentals. If it is on a military housing list then it is a good house and landlord. Once a landlord is taken off that list they are never put back on so they do everything they can to stay on it.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I just moved last month downstate and my two buddies are going to college in Madison here, so We easily got a list of places, but we actually ended up getting a smaller place outside of town, just a few miles. It's in a nicer quiet suburb but still only a few minutes away from downtown madison.

We just searched through catalogs and housing fairs.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Taylor, I'll be in Chi-town 10/19 - 10/22. Staying at The Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. I'll buy you a drink if you're available.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Are you really asking somebody on a date over a message board? Come on, get some self respect.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Taylor, I'll be in Chi-town 10/19 - 10/22. Staying at The Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. I'll buy you a drink if you're available.

That would be cool to meet up. No need to buy me a drink. I might actually be going to NYC around that time but let me know closer to the date.

Have you been in Ridgefield recently?

BTW, I think I just found a place. The rents a bit high, but I checked it out before and love it and the price dropped $100. Woo Hoo.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
The general rule is the tougher a poster is, the weirder they look :)

You have noticed that too? I found that out at the Bubbapoloza (however you spell it) I went to.

I meat people form forums all the time but they are for the SAP industry. It is always interesting to put faces to the names/witting style.

Last edited:

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
That would be cool to meet up. No need to buy me a drink. I might actually be going to NYC around that time but let me know closer to the date.

Have you been in Ridgefield recently?

BTW, I think I just found a place. The rents a bit high, but I checked it out before and love it and the price dropped $100. Woo Hoo.

I'm in Ridgefield once per week, usually on Monday's. We have our weekly sales meeting every Monday. I'll PM you later this coming week and see if you're going to be around. :)