Various Thoughts

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I miss the E! show. :( Even if it was blurred and bleeped to the point of insanity, it was entertainment plutonium.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I miss the E! show. :( Even if it was blurred and bleeped to the point of insanity, it was entertainment plutonium.

me too. i would listen to howard on the way to school (often times purposely being late, just riding around in circles until the next commercial) and then watch him when it was time for bed.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I am reminded of the Channel 9 show. I never laughed harder at Howard than when Richard Simmons brought in two rather large ladies who were in his weight loss program and Howard or Gary dangled chickens over their heads from poles. So cruel. So funny.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
A casual question for regular posters in the HSS forum. Have you sense a difference in the visitors to the show. I use to look forward to edgy personalities coming in for interviews. Musicians and comedians seem to be staples. Repeaters are somewhat welcome even to the point of a quarterly phonecon with David Arquette.

The twice a day interview shows were a treat. Is it a trend since the length of the show was shortened a few years ago? I know many would-be guests don't like early morning appearances. Has the appeal of mugging with Howie and the gang waned to the point he's considered a B lister and beneath some people's vanity?

Your thoughts.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Was the show shortened? True that it starts at 7, but doesn't it end an hour later now?

There's been several shifts in show format over the past few years, no doubt.

It used to be various stuff, lisa G news preview, interview 1, interview 2 or various, jon hein WUS preview (utterly ridiculous waste), Steve Langford news preview, Robin's news, WUS.

Now, it seems to be more organic, but longer interviews... the haters think the "goofing on person" bits are scripted, but I doubt it.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I saw today's theatrical airing of George Takei's Allegiance. It was eye-opening, for sure.

I really hope they put out a DVD of it or make it into a proper movie or something. This is a story that can't be pushed to the side.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
this is interesting:

Howard Stern’s rival Gregg 'Opie' Hughes taunts him | Daily Mail Online

they don't appear to get in his actual napping office like i thought from the headline.
Opie's an asshole. It's obvious to me that he needs material to fill airtime - I mean, look at how pathetic the show is - so he perpetuates this "rivalry". As I've said before, Opie is not Stern's rival. Howard doesn't give a shit about Opie, or his show, or his fan base. And the studio break-in seems suspiciously contrived. A cleaning woman just happens to be right there, and she just lets him in. Right. And really, nothing happened. They didn't get anywhere, but Opie will be talking about it for days. "Look at what we did! We're so subversive, people are gonna be fired". Really lame.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Opie's an asshole. It's obvious to me that he needs material to fill airtime - I mean, look at how pathetic the show is - so he perpetuates this "rivalry". As I've said before, Opie is not Stern's rival. Howard doesn't give a shit about Opie, or his show, or his fan base. And the studio break-in seems suspiciously contrived. A cleaning woman just happens to be right there, and she just lets him in. Right. And really, nothing happened. They didn't get anywhere, but Opie will be talking about it for days. "Look at what we did! We're so subversive, people are gonna be fired". Really lame.

The rivalry is still a thing?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i don't like this article one bit.

George Takei Spoke Glowingly About Being Molested as Young Teen by Older Man |Heat Street

heat street can be fun to get me all riled up about SJWs and the sort but in this case they are going after him for nothing and they even admit it in the article:

Takei hasn’t made any public comments about Milo’s current crisis, but he doesn’t appear to be a fan of the conservative shock jock: A few days prior to the emergence of Milo’s video, Takei attacked Bill Maher for having Milo on his HBO show

so he doesn't like milo, that's not enough for a piece with the intent to make him look hypocritical. it seems to me they are making a case that if you speak out against someone you must be 100% against them and share no similar life experiences. that's just silly.

and for the record i'm a fan of both milo and george. i know george from howard more than anything else and milo from his articles and youtube channel. so i think of them first as personalities who open up about their lives. to me they are both entertaining entertainers, albeit in very different ways.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
My ideal lineup. Take each person at their peak:

Studio: Howard, Manson, Ned, Fred, Artie, Billy West.

Back office: Booey, Richard, Sal, 25 Cent and I can't think of anyone else I'd take. Maybe I'd throw a Stuttering John or...who was the dude that punched the other dude in the hallway...I don't think it was Double A or even Crazy Cabbie, but I'm close. Maybe it was those two.

The trifecta of Ned/Artie/Billy would be a great show on their own.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
My ideal lineup. Take each person at their peak:

Studio: Howard, Manson, Ned, Fred, Artie, Billy West.

Back office: Booey, Richard, Sal, 25 Cent and I can't think of anyone else I'd take. Maybe I'd throw a Stuttering John or...who was the dude that punched the other dude in the hallway...I don't think it was Double A or even Crazy Cabbie, but I'm close. Maybe it was those two.

The trifecta of Ned/Artie/Billy would be a great show on their own.

can't forget robin. even with her near constant news mistakes THSS isn't THSS without her.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Reactions: microbob

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Listened to the Rob Reiner interview. Prime example of Howard cutting off his guest. Why to Reiner? Rob Reiner spoke quickly. He did not go on and on. He is interesting Very frustrating when you looking forward to the end of the answer and it gets cut off.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Listened to the Rob Reiner interview. Prime example of Howard cutting off his guest. Why to Reiner? Rob Reiner spoke quickly. He did not go on and on. He is interesting Very frustrating when you looking forward to the end of the answer and it gets cut off.
Sometimes you look back on an interview, whether it be Howard or others (even Bill Maher does this), and you realize that the interviewer spoke 85% of the time. I think it has to do with a narcissistic need to supersede the guest. In addition to cutting people off, Howard also has a need to summarize what the guest just said, as in "So in other words, you felt that ...". It's a way for Howard to take ownership for someone else's thoughts. It's exactly the same as Robin saying "I was just about to say...". They are quite a pair.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Never heard of Heat Street before. Based on the article, it looks like a trashy right-wing rag, that will stoop to any level in defending one of their own. But that's also how I'd characterize the entire right-wing; it's what they did to Obama, so why should this be surprising?

It is. It's one of those "You WON'T BELIEVE what Obama did! Share this post so Facebook won't take it down!" sites.

Reactions: scotchandcigar