Verizon Kills Off Service Contracts And Subsidies

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I do understand, but to me, this seems like a great deal. I use to pay:

$120 for 10GB, $40 and $25 for 2 phones a total of $185 bucks and I'm still using an old employee discount from a former job as 18% which brought it down to $150+ bucks with taxes.

Now the new deal:

$100 for 15GB and $15 for 2 phones = $130 but no contracts and no AT&T Next deals, I still keep my 18% a new grand total close to $106+ bucks with tax, to me sounds like a great deal. No worries about swapping phones or slower data with a another company.

My Sprint plan is an old family plan with 1500 minutes, free nights after 7PM, free mobile to mobile calls, free weekends, basically if you call a landline only... you use minutes. Otherwise, your minutes are free. I also have unlimited text and data on both lines. My wife and I use 15-20 GB of LTE Data every month together, mostly due to Netflix, Youtube, Streaming Audio 40 hours a week while working, etc.

I got 2 Sprint Note 4's on Launch Day at Best Buy last year for $49 per phone. All I had to do was sign another 2 year deal. With my 18% discount through my employer on the first line charge of $110.00, my bill is approximately $150.00 a month, taxes and fees included, no phone rental fees to pay.

While Sprint is terrible in alot of aspects (and I have ranted here about them before), when you test the others in the Pittsburgh Area on coverage vs. cost, my plan is the best "postpaid" value I have in my situation right now.

Verizon and AT&T Postpaid are faster and have better coverage than Sprint in Pittsburgh, but is the juice worth the squeeze? Nope. Sprint works wherever I go... I even have LTE in my basement, which is pretty cool.

T-Mobile doesn't work in my house, as "No Service" was prominent on the screen when I attempted to test drive their iPhone 5 last summer for 7 days.

When I returned the phone, they asked me to give them my cell phone number to switch to T-Mobile. I told them about my "No Service" issue in my house. They rebutted with Wi-Fi calling and its benefits. I gave them a real life scenario....

"Let's just say I am taking a dump in the basement when I decide to whip out my phone for a game of Texas Hold 'em. I am connected to Wi-Fi. I play for a few minutes and get a great hand. Just before I tap the button to go All-In, the power goes out ( it happens frequently in my neighborhood for some reason). Now the power is out, my connection drops and I lose the hand because I can't respond due to my connection. How will Wi-Fi Calling or Wi-Fi in general save me from launching my phone into the wall? It won't. Here is your iPhone... let me know when you actually have a network that works............."

For my next phones, if I stay postpaid, I will probably stick with Sprint and my current plan due to cost and value for price paid. If I go MVNO, I will weigh my options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolf and HecticArt

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
My Sprint plan is an old family plan with 1500 minutes, free nights after 7PM, free mobile to mobile calls, free weekends, basically if you call a landline only... you use minutes. Otherwise, your minutes are free. I also have unlimited text and data on both lines. My wife and I use 15-20 GB of LTE Data every month together, mostly due to Netflix, Youtube, Streaming Audio 40 hours a week while working, etc.

I got 2 Sprint Note 4's on Launch Day at Best Buy last year for $49 per phone. All I had to do was sign another 2 year deal. With my 18% discount through my employer on the first line charge of $110.00, my bill is approximately $150.00 a month, taxes and fees included, no phone rental fees to pay.

While Sprint is terrible in alot of aspects (and I have ranted here about them before), when you test the others in the Pittsburgh Area on coverage vs. cost, my plan is the best "postpaid" value I have in my situation right now.

Verizon and AT&T Postpaid are faster and have better coverage than Sprint in Pittsburgh, but is the juice worth the squeeze? Nope. Sprint works wherever I go... I even have LTE in my basement, which is pretty cool.

T-Mobile doesn't work in my house, as "No Service" was prominent on the screen when I attempted to test drive their iPhone 5 last summer for 7 days.

When I returned the phone, they asked me to give them my cell phone number to switch to T-Mobile. I told them about my "No Service" issue in my house. They rebutted with Wi-Fi calling and its benefits. I gave them a real life scenario....

"Let's just say I am taking a dump in the basement when I decide to whip out my phone for a game of Texas Hold 'em. I am connected to Wi-Fi. I play for a few minutes and get a great hand. Just before I tap the button to go All-In, the power goes out ( it happens frequently in my neighborhood for some reason). Now the power is out, my connection drops and I lose the hand because I can't respond due to my connection. How will Wi-Fi Calling or Wi-Fi in general save me from launching my phone into the wall? It won't. Here is your iPhone... let me know when you actually have a network that works............."

For my next phones, if I stay postpaid, I will probably stick with Sprint and my current plan due to cost and value for price paid. If I go MVNO, I will weigh my options.

Sprint was my first phone company, I dealt with. I had a similar plan like you did, but Sprint screwed me so many damn times. Charging useless fees, tons of drop calls and a serious contract problem.

I let my contract ran out, on purpose because I wanted to move on to either Verizon or AT&T. But somehow Sprint renew my contract for another 2 years without my permission and I didn't agree or sign anything. I had a battle on my hands, I wanted out my contract and they simply refuse or I had to pay a cancellation fee.

I had to prove to them, they went behind my back and renew me without my permission. It took a couple of months, but they figured out they made a serious mistake and I was finally out of my damn contract. Now I moved onto AT&T and I use to have an unlimited everything plan, but I had to give it up when I added a second phone for my mom.

If you want to stick with Sprint, that is up to you. I'm like some of the things T-Mobile is doing now, but there coverage is still weak and Verizon and AT&T dominates the market. My only issue with AT&T is some people sometimes can't hear me because of the connection. It either there phones, towers or my phone? I had my iPhone looked at the Apple store and they found no issues.

But simply saying, I can't stand Sprint and I'm glad they are having issues and all the other carriers are kicking there ass, because they simply suck and should probably go out of business. Hopefully one of the big three, can buy them out one day!

Last edited:
Reactions: blueneon36

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Believe me, Wolf. I would love to leave, but from a cost perspective, they have me by the balls.

If T-Mobile worked for me, I would be with them. I too, like how they are shaking up the industry. 2 Lines, Unlimited Everything for $100. I would buy used phones outright on Swappa to avoid paying monthly fees.

AT&T has a serious problem with call quality that needs to be addressed. Its an AT&T-wide problem. My sister just switched from AT&T to Sprint and got their iPhone unlimited plan. For the first time in a long time I can actually hear her due to their new codec called "HD Voice". AT&T needs to do something similar to fix their problem.

Sprint never pulled that kind of ridiculousness with me in terms of contracts. If they would have, I would have paid the ETF to leave. Sprint's service sucks where my night job was located. I couldn't get 1x coverage 5 minutes west of Pittsburgh outside under a clear sky in the calm of night. I called so many times and heard "XYZ Tower is down.....". What a load of crap. I did receive bill credits as a result of all of my trouble though. Since the LTE Towers have been turned on, alot of those issues disappeared for me. I am satisfied... for now.

Reactions: Wolf