Watch Out For That...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Typically they reduce the amount of time it takes to get through typical intersections, because everyone doesn't have to wait for stops lights.
What I don't know is, how effective they are for higher rates of traffic, or if they have different ways of designing them for higher rates.

They have finally started building more of them around here. (5 or 8 years ago there were almost none.)
The first few times through them, it's awkward, but it get easy pretty quickly.
I always worry about going through them with people that panic when they go through.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I live in the land of rotaries. It's at the root of every traffic logjam. In theory, it keeps traffic moving. In reality, it creates huge backups. Cars stop when they can't enter the rotary, and then they have no momentum, so they enter one at a time.

The result is that everyone is stopped (as if they were at a light), but instead of getting a green light and having a whole bunch of cars go, it's a constant unending drip drip drip.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
A friend of mine got screwed over royally by Best Buy, and I can't stop thinking about it.

He sprang for a new LG OLED TV (55"), which set him back $1,700. The TV was sold in a sealed box, complete with an intact pair of those blue straps. When he got it home and took it out of the box, the TV was wrapped in plastic that looked like it had been thrown on haphazardly. The TV wouldn't turn on.

He brought it back to BB, and they noticed that the serial number on the TV didn't match the SN on the box. So they wouldn't accept the return. Of course he furiously argued that it came like that, and their response was "how do we know that?". He's now attempting to contact a consumer advocate from a local news outlet.

Since BB is not in the habit of opening the boxes on any of the TVs they sell, they are putting the consumer at risk with every purchase. My friend, who is a big-time technical manager, made all the right points in his argument, but all that got him was 3 security personnel ready to haul him away. It's just a shitty situation, and BB is offering no solution; they're just covering their own ass.

• Wow
Reactions: JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I’d go ape shit on them. It’s not the kind of thing that I’d be able to let go of. I’d spend more money to prove them wrong.

Reactions: JHDK

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Please refrain from making any off-color "fiery manhole explosion" jokes. I'm asking nicely.

Fiery manhole explosion shuts down Boston train station