Week Of 4/30: Live!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
And she was right...to really no one's surprise.

Howard talked about his weekend, the White House Correspondents' Dinner, his Netrlix special he did with David Letterman and some catching up with Ronnie...all in the first hour.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Howard talked about the White House Correspondents' Dinner
His defense of the comedian was lame, though I agree with his main point. Honestly, they've been booking cringeworthy acts for years. I thought even Colbert was hard to watch years ago. There's something about making painfully harsh criticisms of people who are right there, and in a stuffy political event, that turns me off. The whole thing seems ridiculous.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It was more like a Friar's Club Roast.
Funny stuff in that context, it was harsh in the more formal setting.
Granted, there were some excellent lines at this one......

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
They could do a whole week on nothing but Ronnie. Today's Tradio call about Ronnie's "dill dough" was good.

Brent on the two-finger cul-de-sac technique.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
The comedian seemed harsh in that setting but if you are objective about it.. it was kind of appropriate. Trump has demonized the press, calling them "fake news" "enemy of the people" and worse. He insults people on a daily basis, far worse than what the comedian did to Sarah Sanders, Kellyanne idiot and Trump. Trump is a monster and Sanders and Conway repeat and defend his lies.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The comedian seemed harsh in that setting but if you are objective about it.. it was kind of appropriate. Trump has demonized the press, calling them "fake news" "enemy of the people" and worse. He insults people on a daily basis, far worse than what the comedian did to Sarah Sanders, Kellyanne idiot and Trump. Trump is a monster and Sanders and Conway repeat and defend his lies.
I agree (though that's not a topic for discussion here), but being horrible is not funny, from either side. What you're proposing is more like a debate, but that's not what this is supposed to be. And you can't mix honesty and insults together; if you want to call Sanders a liar, don't do it to her face as a comedic piece, and then call her fat, ugly, and a dyke.

I think one of the few smart things Trump has done, is to skip this event. Nobody wants him there, he has absolutely no sense of humor, nor is he funny in any way. The organizers of this event should take a cue from him, and change the format.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think one of the few smart things Trump has done, is to skip this event. Nobody wants him there, he has absolutely no sense of humor, nor is he funny in any way. The organizers of this event should take a cue from him, and change the format.

He's probably smart to skip it. Ironically, this gives the comedians and haters even more material. You're right-on with that second sentence.

The comments about it being a Friars Club thing are true... Honest question: Was it this mean with Obama? He was there laughing, then again, Trump has so much material for the comedians...even if it is cruel stuff.

I think Howard said something about how Trump put in his nomination as a bit of a joke. There's Trump the busines and Trump the person. Trump the person is constantly promoting Trump the business. Trump the business is constantly talking about "the biggest and the best." Trump the person entered politics in order to promote Trump the business.

As for why he won? Take your pick of about 47 reasons and probably more.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think they knew that she would be harsh and vulgar.
I'm expecting this to be an excuse to cancel the Correspondents' Dinner next year.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Larry Wilmore was cringeworthy, crude, and disrespectful. So was the guy from Community. And this was all pre-Trump. Somehow, it became a badge of honor to be like that, right in front of POTUS and staff. Hell, they even go too far shitting on Wolf Blitzer.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I think she did a great job. It's the perfect situation she put herself in with that set. She is now a household name, she got the President of the United States to talk about her and everyone she wants to impress to climb the Hollywood ladder most likely agreed with everything she said even if they can't publicly say it. She did a great job and it doesn't even matter if her jokes were funny or not at this point.

Honestly, they've been booking cringeworthy acts for years.

This was cringe inducing for different reasons. Norm is the best.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Wednesday's show:

Rule #1 -- If you want to talk to Howard, use a landline!

Also...that call with the impressionist of Sal's dad was pretty good.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Arnold was Wednesday's guest. Howard also played some sound clips of religious wackos and the clip of Shaq talking about gas costs.

Shaq doing a bit of "Booey math" with the numbers there... "If it's $80 to fill it up and you only fill it up halfway, that's only $20, boff!"

"You lost a lover and a best friend and I lost a lover and a best friend. You gained a lover and a best friend and I gained a few friends, but no lovers."

Reactions: JHDK

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Larry Wilmore was cringeworthy, crude, and disrespectful. So was the guy from Community. And this was all pre-Trump. Somehow, it became a badge of honor to be like that, right in front of POTUS and staff. Hell, they even go too far shitting on Wolf Blitzer.
Whe Imus did that dinner, he basically called Hillary Clinton to her face (I think on "Travelgate") and made reference to Clinton's girlfriends to his face. I did not find it remotely witty at the time. If you are going to be so blunt at least make it funny. Afterwards, asshole Imus said "It doesn't get any better than this."