Oct 21, 2008
Kind of.

Monday is off for the holiday.
Tuesday is live.
Wednesday is live with Paul McCartney.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
On today's show:
The celebrity funerals which happened over the break, Howard worked out to Lithium and still has a huge belly, Howard talked about watching Cher and how he couldn't get alone time with the TV and more.

Yucko called in!

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The celebrity funeral stuff was good. And oddly, the Cher bit struck a resonance with me, as I was also of the age to get a rise out of her. The Sharon Osborne interview was (thankfully) short.

So Howard starts praising a Foo Fighter's song that he was unaware of, Times Like These. Not only was it an old song that Robin knew well, but they actually performed that song in-studio in 2002.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This is from a previous thread, but I'm putting it here.

This has been obvious for a long time. Whether it's someone who calls-in, and Howard ends up talking to him for an hour, or a caller brings up a topic that they spend an hour on, it's planned.

Yet, when they do take a first-time caller, it turns into to guy who called in talking about Ozzy and Sharon and he sent an audition tape and the call goes absolutely nowhere and Howard gets bored.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Don't quite get Howard's worship of Paul McCartney. I only heard the beginning of Wednesday's show but Howard was expressing his anxieties about doing justice to the upcoming interview. Does Howard spend much time listening to Beatles music these days? I'm doubting it. Does he spend much time listening to Paul's other music? I'm doubting it. And Paul doesn't give up too much during an interview. He normally fends off that rascal Howard. And then there was the autograph incident involving Howard's daughter, normally a ground for a lifetime grudge.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Don't quite get Howard's worship of Paul McCartney. I only heard the beginning of Wednesday's show but Howard was expressing his anxieties about doing justice to the upcoming interview. Does Howard spend much time listening to Beatles music these days? I'm doubting it. Does he spend much time listening to Paul's other music? I'm doubting it. And Paul doesn't give up too much during an interview. He normally fends off that rascal Howard. And then there was the autograph incident involving Howard's daughter, normally a ground for a lifetime grudge.
Uh yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree here.

Howard is intimately familiar with the music of The Beatles, as well as all the members' solo albums from the 70s. That was his era. McCartney is possibly the #1 pop/rock music composer and performer of all time, and given that the other contenders are dead, he's the one.

Now if the interview were being done by Dan Rather for The Big Interview, they'd talk about all of McCartney's music, including his current album. Howard knows that Paul has a new song out, but he's not interested in his recent career.

Paul was very frank and willing to answer all of Howard's questions. He discussed some interesting tidbits about his legendary music. Howard was only briefly bogged-down with stupidity - how do you do this and that.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Uh yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree here.

Howard is intimately familiar with the music of The Beatles, as well as all the members' solo albums from the 70s. That was his era. McCartney is possibly the #1 pop/rock music composer and performer of all time, and given that the other contenders are dead, he's the one.

Now if the interview were being done by Dan Rather for The Big Interview, they'd talk about all of McCartney's music, including his current album. Howard knows that Paul has a new song out, but he's not interested in his recent career.

Paul was very frank and willing to answer all of Howard's questions. He discussed some interesting tidbits about his legendary music. Howard was only briefly bogged-down with stupidity - how do you do this and that.
Listened to most of it. I agree that Paul was responsive and a pleasure to listen to. Howard was in full "gee whiz" mode mixed with his attempt at psychoanalysis ("Did you love your mother?" "You were singing about John, weren't you? John was the love of your life") and lots of incorrect facts. Overall though, I enjoyed the interview in spite of myself.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

McCartney over Lennon?

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
McCartney over Lennon?
Lennon would be the main contender for #1. Many would have John at #1, and that's debatable. But if you look at the solo career through the 70s, McCartney is actually more prolific and successful. And when you count all the years after 1980, it's a clear choice. Plus, he's still alive, so he can be interviewed by Stern.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ya it's too much analysis. Just riff with the dude. He's told all these stories over 50 f'n years worth. He'll be the last beatle to die.