We're All Going to Die

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The coronavirus death toll in the United States is now 782. There have been 153 deaths in New York, 107 in Washington, 38 in California and 34 in Louisiana. And there might eventually be quite a few in Kentucky. I'm not 100% certain what "COVID-19" stands for. I know the "COVI" is short for "coronavirus." The "D" must stand for "Dumb dodos."

A group of young adults held a coronavirus party in Kentucky to defy
orders to socially distance. Now one of them has coronavirus.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Hope the working from home thing works out for you...

This last week working from home has been amazing. Later alarm clock, more sleep, no commute to worry about, more time with the wife and kid. When things return to 'normal' I'm not going to want to go back to the office!
We got the computer thing sorted out well enough to get along for a while. Running AutoCAD off of a remote connection is a bit sluggish, but I managed to be productive. I actually worked into the evening to feel like I was providing an honest value to my client and office.

The Mrs works in the living room, and I work upstairs in the office, which I had to tidy up before I could set up my computer again. We both manage to stay really focused, so we barely talk to each other till dinner. That’s pretty strange.

So far, so good!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Worldwide, there have now been 471,687 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and 21,297 deaths. In the United States, there have been 68,472 confirmed cases and 1,032 deaths. In laboratory tests involving cell cultures containing the SARS-CO-2 coronavirus (the causative agent for COVID-19), a new drug called Vicromax reduced infection by 90%. It might turn out to be a cure for COVID-19. We can hope.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We got the computer thing sorted out well enough to get along for a while. Running AutoCAD off of a remote connection is a bit sluggish, but I managed to be productive. I actually worked into the evening to feel like I was providing an honest value to my client and office.

The Mrs works in the living room, and I work upstairs in the office, which I had to tidy up before I could set up my computer again. We both manage to stay really focused, so we barely talk to each other till dinner. That’s pretty strange.

So far, so good!
I also work with a modeling tool, and I copy everything to my local hard drive. Only the license file needs to be accessed over the network.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Unfortunately we only had one day to get ready to work remotely, and they didn't ask for input. They have always resisted allowing people to work from home because (I think) someone had abused the privileged. Rather than dealing with that person and fostering a culture where employees want to be productive wherever they are working, they just nixed it. I was honestly concerned that they would just shut down for the duration. Hopefully the WFH thing keeps us productive enough to ride this out. If I would have known Ohio was going to go on lock-down sooner, I would have transferred my Autocad license to my personal laptop and only had to deal with accessing files over the network.

Again, so far so good. I'm staying productive, able to keep pretty well focused, and the sluggish cad is mostly just an annoyance.

The Ohio lock-down is supposed to be lifted on April 6th, but I'm betting that they will add another 2 weeks. We'll see how that changes things.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In the United States, there have been 10,871 cases of coronavirus and 1,143 deaths. The death toll is 8,215 in Italy, 4,145 in Spain, 3,287 in China, 2,234 in Iran, 1,696 in France and 21,297 worldwide. Yikes! The CDC offers these tips for protecting oneself and preventing spreading the virus to others:

Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub.
Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze.
Avoid close contact (1 meter or 3 feet) with people who are unwell.
Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell.
Don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth if your hands are not clean.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Unfortunately we only had one day to get ready to work remotely, and they didn't ask for input. They have always resisted allowing people to work from home because (I think) someone had abused the privileged. Rather than dealing with that person and fostering a culture where employees want to be productive wherever they are working, they just nixed it. I was honestly concerned that they would just shut down for the duration. Hopefully the WFH thing keeps us productive enough to ride this out. If I would have known Ohio was going to go on lock-down sooner, I would have transferred my Autocad license to my personal laptop and only had to deal with accessing files over the network.

Again, so far so good. I'm staying productive, able to keep pretty well focused, and the sluggish cad is mostly just an annoyance.

The Ohio lock-down is supposed to be lifted on April 6th, but I'm betting that they will add another 2 weeks. We'll see how that changes things.
I hear they've got a "beautiful" timeline for opening everything back up in time for the "beautiful" celebration of Easter. It's beautiful.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yes, the timeline and the Easter celebration will be every bit as beautiful as that "big, beautiful" 35-foot-high border wall that we were promised. And now for the bad news: The United States now has 83,672 confirmed cases of coronavirus, more than any other country. China has 81,285 and Italy has 80,589. The death toll in the US has reached 1,209.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yes, the timeline and the Easter celebration will be every bit as beautiful as that "big, beautiful" 35-foot-high border wall that we were promised. And now for the bad news: The United States now has 83,672 confirmed cases of coronavirus, more than any other country. China has 81,285 and Italy has 80,589. The death toll in the US has reached 1,209.

We’re Number 1!!!
We’re Number 1!!!!
:celebrate2::celebrate5::partyhat3:

U.S.A.
U.S.A.
U.S.A.
:bigbananadance:

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
To paraphrase the title of a Frank Sinatra song, the worst is yet to come. And here is a coronavirus-related story of a woman who is said to have "mental problems." Gee, ya think?

A Pennsylvania grocery store threw out $35,000 worth of food
that a woman intentionally coughed on, sparking coronavirus fears