What Bands Do You Confuse With One-another?

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm sure all of you mistake one band for another, or associate a song with a certain band, only to find that it's done by someone else. I'm an aging fan of new music, so I have 2 things going on, which are working against each other: I'm bombarded with new songs by new bands, but my ability to retain all of this new information in my head, is constantly on the decline. So I have a long list of (mostly newer) bands that I confuse with other bands. Here's what comes to mind right now:

Placebo, Interpol;
Beach House, Best Coast;
Local Natives, Neon Indian;
Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Fiery Furnaces;
Strokes, Hives, Vines, Jet, Struts, Band of Skulls;
Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket;
Los Lobos, Steve Winwood;
Verve, U2;
Gotye, Sting;
Scissor Sisters, Elton John;
Wild Feathers, John Mellencamp;
Shaky Graves, Steven Tyler;
Court Yard Hounds, Sheryl Crow.

What else?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Strokes/Hives/Vines are the only ones from your list. I play a little game where I try to guess which one of those is playing. When I win I get a candy.

I can't think of any others. I tend to ignore most bands until I get obsessed with them, and then I learn all of their stuff so I don't get them confused much.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
When I first heard Indigenous (a 90's Blues band) I thought they were Big Head Todd and the Monsters. I could also pick out a whole mess of current Hard Rock bands that sound like the other. Pretty much why I listen to less Hard Rock/Metal than I used to.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
When I first heard Indigenous (a 90's Blues band) I thought they were Big Head Todd and the Monsters.
I have that Indigenous album. They're really good, but very derivative-sounding. I thought they were Stevie Ray Vaughan when I first heard them. Good call on a "sounds like" band.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Lots of 90s bands sounded a like to me

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Squirrel Nut Zippers

Bush - Live - Radiohead

Alice In Chains - Soundgarden

Pearl Jam - Stone Temple Pilots

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Definitely!

Pearl Jam - Stone Temple Pilots
They used to call STP "Stone Temple Pearljam". Some of their earliest stuff was very PJ-like, but then they later sounded a bit like the Beatles, or Led Zep, always someone else.

Reactions: semipenguin

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Strokes/Hives/Vines are the only ones from your list. I play a little game where I try to guess which one of those is playing. When I win I get a candy.

I can't think of any others. I tend to ignore most bands until I get obsessed with them, and then I learn all of their stuff so I don't get them confused much.
So far, mostly these.

IndustrialH

"So much music .... so little time..."
Jan 18, 2015
Canada
When I caught Dirty Looks doing "Oh Ruby" I thought is was early AC/DC that I had missed somewhere down the track. Oh and the video quality is total rubbish but you will get the drift when the vocals start.