What Broken-up Band Would You Like To See Get Back Together?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
For me it's probably the Talking Heads even though I'm pretty sure it's NEVER gonna happen!

Others could be Crosby Stills and Nash doing their thing again, and Rage Against the Machine (shit, the songs would write themselves nowadays in both cases!)

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Because so many 1960s-70s singers are now deceased, I can't think of many groups that would even be able to reunite. The Four Tops, formed in 1963, are still performing but there is only one original member in the group. ("The One Top"?)

My favorite song of the 1980s is Down Under. I would like to see (and hear) a reunion of Men At Work. I would also love to hear -- before they're in their 80s -- Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel record one more album together.

Last year, ABBA reunited to record two new songs that will be part of a tv special to air sometime this spring on NBC in the US and the BBC in the UK. ABBA: Thank You For The Music will be a tribute to the band, who broke up in 1982. ABBA will not perform the two new songs on the special. Instead, we'll see holograms of ABBA. Big whoop. Many of their songs were bright and catchy and infectious. I wish ABBA would reunite -- for real. Yes, I admit it.

And even though Jenny Berggren insists Ace Of Base will never reunite, and even though her sister Linn probably wouldn't return even if they did reunite, I can always hope.

Reactions: Aaron

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm not a big ABBA fan I like some of there music. But I know a lot of people would love to see them again.

I would like to see Genesis get back to together and I believe only 1 band member has passed away John Mayhew. Also, Phil Collins retired but a lot of artists usually come out of retirement again.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
None. Roxy Music said they were going to make another album in the 2000s, but they never did. I think we're all better off that way. Their first album was their best. Their last was OK, but old people usually make crap music. Nostalgia acts are OK for state fairs, but there are too many great new bands to waste time on nostalgia.

The only band I can think of that actually made good music after they got back together was Steely Dan. "Gaucho" in 1980 might be their best album, but "Two Against Nature" 20 years later was fantastic.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
None. Roxy Music said they were going to make another album in the 2000s, but they never did. I think we're all better off that way. Their first album was their best. Their last was OK, but old people usually make crap music. Nostalgia acts are OK for state fairs, but there are too many great new bands to waste time on nostalgia.

The only band I can think of that actually made good music after they got back together was Steely Dan. "Gaucho" in 1980 might be their best album, but "Two Against Nature" 20 years later was fantastic.
Wow, I completely agree?

Joe Jackson also got his original lineup back together, and they've done some good stuff.

But regarding the original question, I don't want to see ANY old, washed up group reform. Singers lose their voices, and their songwriting is no longer relevant.

BTW, Colin Hay has a wonderful solo career, restyling MAW songs.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I saw Colin Hay a few years ago at the Ventura County Fair. He sang several new songs and many audience members kept clamoring for Down Under. Hay finally told them, "I'll give what you came for but I want you to hear my new songs too." Then he asked how much each person paid for admission to the fair. When he learned admission was $10, he promised, "I'll make sure you get your ten dollars' worth." We did. Strewth, the bruce was a fair dinkum cobber and did hard yakka to give us bogans a gnarly arvo show.

(I picture Mister scotch reaching for his dictionary of Australian slang. :) )

Reactions: Aaron

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Man, the fights would be epic.
I was just watching some Stewart Copeland videos about drumming on YouTube last night. Kinda cool.
Synchronicity is along the same lines as Rumours was for Fleetwood Mac, in that they made their greatest album during a time when they couldn't stand to be in the same room together!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
BTW, Colin Hay has a wonderful solo career, restyling MAW songs.

Agreed, "Waiting for My Real Life To Begin" is a personal favorite from his solo stuff.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I had to look up Colin Hay. I'm surprised everyone doesn't hate Men at Work as much as I do.
They made Channel98's favorite song of the 80s, so it's certainly not everyone. I had their big album at the time. Had a lot of good songs on it. Down Under was one of my least favorite.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I like fun, uptempo, feel-good songs as opposed to dull, dreary, whiny ballads. Thus, Down Under is one of my favorite songs and Whitney Houston's dreadful version of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You is one of my least favorite songs.

I'd love to see (and hear) a reunion of the 1966-1970 lineup of the Guess Who: Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, Bruce Decker and Gerry Peterson. The Guess Who is still performing but Peterson, the drummer, is the only original member. Derek Sharp has been lead singer since 2008. The 1966-70 incarnation of the group had hits with These Eyes, Laughing , Undun, American Woman, Share The Land, No Time, No Sugar Tonight and Hand Me Down World.

By the way, American Woman was the song playing at a party in the first Austin Powers movie. The scene was set in 1969. The song was released in February 1970. Oh, behave!