What, if anything will replace Clear Channel on satellites?

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
SiriusXM has announced that the Clear Channel stations will be removed once their lease on XM radio expires. First of all, does anyone have any idea when that happens? Second, what might SXM replace the CC stuff with since it will free up some bandwidth? I have heard they might give the Canadian channels more bandwidth, but I'd rather see the bandwidth put to other use myself. Here in the States I can't imagine these Canadian channels have a whole lot of listerners but maybe I'm wrong. Could they be adding some of the internet only channels like Fly, 90s/2K dance, and Cinemagic to the satellites? That is what I honestly hope they do. Another option could be to bring back some cancelled stations like On The Rocks, Special X, etc. but I don't they go that route. But on a personal note I would like them to bring back Book Radio and the old Sirius Vacation music channel- Margaritaville is not as good as it was.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
SiriusXM has announced that the Clear Channel stations will be removed once their lease on XM radio expires. First of all, does anyone have any idea when that happens? Second, what might SXM replace the CC stuff with since it will free up some bandwidth? I have heard they might give the Canadian channels more bandwidth, but I'd rather see the bandwidth put to other use myself. Here in the States I can't imagine these Canadian channels have a whole lot of listerners but maybe I'm wrong. Could they be adding some of the internet only channels like Fly, 90s/2K dance, and Cinemagic to the satellites? That is what I honestly hope they do. Another option could be to bring back some cancelled stations like On The Rocks, Special X, etc. but I don't they go that route. But on a personal note I would like them to bring back Book Radio and the old Sirius Vacation music channel- Margaritaville is not as good as it was.
Already 2 threads started about this- you may find more info here:
http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/siriusxm-soundwave-cafe/20741-new-sxm-channel-thread.html
http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/xm-radios/20547-when-confirmed-date-when-cc-stations-going-away.html

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
(Too Lazy to google) What type of music did boombox play?
It was the electronic(ish) side of rock/pop. More song based than Area or BPM. Stuff like Crystal Method, LCD Soundsystem, and the likes. Lots of mashups and remixes. Liquid Todd still has a 2 hour show on Saturday nights that's available on-demand. It's a good show, but I suppose that it's not as big of a draw as the mainstream rock/pop channels.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for the links SiriusaboutXM. From what I gather, it is likely that CC will be no more on SXM after August 31. For those who listen to CC programming, this stuff is not going away. Nearly all of the CC stuff about to leave SXM is available for free at iheartradio.com and with the iheartradio phone app, which might be why CC is all to ready to cut ties with SXM now (they may see SXM as a competitor now). Since I have iheartradio, I am more that happy for CC stuff to make way for something else on my SXM Edge radio. I am anticipating what might be new on my radio on Sept 1. As usual, SXM is being tight-lipped about any changes, so we will wait and see what happens (could be nothing at all except the loss of CC and I am prepared for that as well).

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
There were no changes. All the Clear Channel stuff is still on the satellites. Maybe they don't do changes/updates on Sunday (or tomorrow either since it's Labor Day)? The CC stuff ought to be gone on Tuesday IMO (and hopefully some stuff added on).