what star trek to watch?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I say watch them all. Start with the original, so you know the history of the franchise, then build chronologicaly .
Its an interesting way to look at our society then till now through the show. If a particular series doesn't cut it for you, move on to the next.
Posted via Mobile Device

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
He didn't. He banged Terry Farrell, who was on DS9.

(And yes, the spots go all the way down.)
This is on now on H100, 2/23/12.

And due to this thread, I've abandoned watching ST:VOY to watch DS9. I'm glad I did..DS9 is waaaaaay better.

Terry now lives in Hershey, PA with her husband.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Well it only took 8 years but I think I've made my choice. Not sure if I made a good decision or bad one considering how many episodes there are but I'm watching the pilot to TNG right now and enjoying everything going on with Q.

It's nice to have a classic sifi show that is totally new to me.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So I'm on s01e04 now and here we meet the Ferengi. At least in their first appearance I don't like them. They're dumb. And I assume I'll be seeing a whole lot more of them because I know the look of those creatures just from the very basic Star Trek knowledge I had going in.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
So I'm on s01e04 now and here we meet the Ferengi. At least in their first appearance I don't like them. They're dumb. And I assume I'll be seeing a whole lot more of them because I know the look of those creatures just from the very basic Star Trek knowledge I had going in.
Everything is dumb in the first season of TNG. Gene Roddenberry wouldn't let the writers do anything smart.

The Ferengi become interesting (and fun) in DS9. The great Wallace Shawn plays the Grand Nagus.

Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Watching old episodes of TNG now, I pick and choose. Some episodes are lame.

Do you hate Weasily Crusher yet?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ok s01e05 is my favorite so far. They have some asshole engineer and his alien buddy come aboard and mess with the warp drive. Turns out the buddy aka "Traveler" was controlling it all along. They wind up in some place that basically makes them all trip balls. Very good episode.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
A few thoughts on the cast so far...

I went in knowing I would love LeVar Burton and Patrick Stewart and I do. They're both great. I knew the look of the Worf but like the Ferengi that was all I knew. Is he supposed to be kinda dumb? Like in the first episode he points a gun at the screen when the bad guy shows up. How would a Starfleet guy not know it was only an image? Data seems cool so far.

Do you hate Weasily Crusher yet?
Knowing it was Wil Wheaton I went in thinking I would dislike him but so far I kinda dig him. Maybe he will get worse over time but in 5 episodes I like his arc as a smart kid.

Not sure what I think of #1/RIker so far. Sometimes I dig him and other times I think he sucks.

The doctor is blah. Not memorable at all.

Troi is annoying. Her reading feelings thing is dumb.

Tasha Yar is great! And a badass. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more of her. Update...Boo!!! I just checked IMDB and she only did 35 episodes...Boo!!!

1565844804029.png

Last edited:

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
well if you really like it and have CBS All Access, the Star Trek Picard series will begin early next year. I'm sure it will be much much better than the current series Discovery. Not even the appearance of Pike and Spock is making this series work.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A few thoughts on the cast so far...

I went in knowing I would love LeVar Burton and Patrick Stewart and I do. They're both great. I knew the look of the Worf but like the Ferengi that was all I knew. Is he supposed to be kinda dumb? Like in the first episode he points a gun at the screen when the bad guy shows up. How would a Starfleet guy not know it was only an image? Data seems cool so far.

Knowing it was Wil Wheaton I went in thinking I would dislike him but so far I kinda dig him. Maybe he will get worse over time but in 5 episodes I like his arc as a smart kid.

Not sure what I think of #1/RIker so far. Sometimes I dig him and other times I think he sucks.

The doctor is blah. Not memorable at all.

Troi is annoying. Her reading feelings thing is dumb.

Tasha Yar is great! And a badass. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more of her. Update...Boo!!! I just checked IMDB and she only did 35 episodes...Boo!!!

View attachment 5526
Ricker gets better.

Troi doesn't. But her mother is funny. When I watched in the 90s we called Troi the grand canyon.

I like Will Weaton for his interaction with Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory more than his Weasly stuff. He gets less annoying as the series progresses ... slightly.

Tasha Yar ... the actress felt unchallenged so at her request they wroter her out (no spoilers) but then she regretted it and they wrote her back in for several episodes. One thing to keep in mind, don't get too hung up on Paradoxes and temporal theory. In all Star Trek series (including this one), it all works on how to make a good story rather than real physics.

Worf gets much better in subsequent episodes.

Reactions: JHDK and HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Don't let it cause you to fall behind on your ST:TNG viewing.
Never! I'm in too deep at this point. I'm watching s01e20 as I write this. 20 hours of TNG in a week is quite the marathon even by my standards. Like what you guys have said, from what I read and hear in podcasts (yes, I'm now also listening to a TNG podcast where they go episode by episode) everyone says the series gets better. That will be great but I'm very much enjoying season one. There have been some great episodes like the double Data episode and the first Klingon episode I just watched before this one. Oh and in the double Data episode we got the quote from Idrather, "Shut up Wesley" Hah, then his mom repeats it!

Most of the characters I talked about last week have grown on me. I still feel the same about Riker though. Sometimes hes great and others he annoys me.

And the doctor still sucks. Worst character on the show so far.

At this rate I'll be on to season 2 in no time.

1566452262132.png

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Oh boy, s01e21 is shaping up to be a stinker. It's a lesson on drug addiction and Yar teaches Wesley why:

1566485920106.png

This is basically a full Star Trek episode to reiterate this commercial:

and it fits too cause that ad aired in 1987, when this season was airing.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ok, the next episode (s01e22) has made up for the silly last one. The tar monster that steals the crew and makes the others entertain it, is pretty cool.

1566489955304.png

But Tasha better not stay dead.

EDIT: uh oh, looks like she's staying dead at least for now.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Never! I'm in too deep at this point. I'm watching s01e20 as I write this. 20 hours of TNG in a week is quite the marathon even by my standards. Like what you guys have said, from what I read and hear in podcasts (yes, I'm now also listening to a TNG podcast where they go episode by episode) everyone says the series gets better. That will be great but I'm very much enjoying season one. There have been some great episodes like the double Data episode and the first Klingon episode I just watched before this one. Oh and in the double Data episode we got the quote from Idrather, "Shut up Wesley" Hah, then his mom repeats it!

Most of the characters I talked about last week have grown on me. I still feel the same about Riker though. Sometimes hes great and others he annoys me.

And the doctor still sucks. Worst character on the show so far.

At this rate I'll be on to season 2 in no time.

View attachment 5544
Ricker improves 2nd season.

And season 2 has a different doctor.
When this doctor comes back in season 3 she is a bit better.

Ok, the next episode (s01e22) has made up for the silly last one. The tar monster that steals the crew and makes the others entertain it, is pretty cool.

View attachment 5546

But Tasha better not stay dead.

EDIT: uh oh, looks like she's staying dead at least for now.
Like I said before .... they write her back in. Season 3 I think is when it starts.

I have been rewatching episodes as well. I have cherry picked the 'good' episodes and have just started season 3. Season 1 had some good episodes but also some clunkers. Season 2 had more good and less clunkers. Every season had clunkers but they are less prevalent seasons 3-7 (IMHO).

The last 2 of season 1 are pretty good. I think you are almost there. You haven't even got the good villains introduced at this point (Borg, Romulans).

Reactions: JHDK