what star trek to watch?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
my mom loved the original so i saw a ton of those but i was a kid and never really got into it. now that im older im really into scifi and i love to remake of battlestar galactica. its in my top 10 all time shows. i also really liked the most recent trek movie. i was looking on neflix and they have a bunch of star trek. so what should i start with. its btw.next generation and deep space nine. i think voyager is the one with the chick captain. ive seen a few of those and really didnt like em. and then there is the one with the quantum leap dude that everyone says really really blows. never saw much of any of them a lot so im thinking deep space might be a bit less dated for a newbie.

what do u all think? thanks for the help.

Last edited:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Hmm... interesting question.

I'm a trek nerd and am currently watching both Voyager (again) and DS9.

The OS (Original Series) is tough to watch vs the newer stuff. Nothing beats TNG (The Next Generation) but it's nothing you can't watch on re-runs. DS9 is probably the hardest to find on TV or else-where, and Netflix just got it.

Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap dude) was on the series called Enterprise with Jolene Blalock (hotness!) but the series is lousy, lasting only 4 seasons.

So.... I guess what I'm saying is watch them all. Every series has it's stinkers but most are good fun to watch. (I'm currently enjoying watching Jeri Ryan [Seven of Nine] strut around in skin tight outfits)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Deep Space Nine. Watch the whole thing, start to finish, because it has several big story arcs. The guy that developed the new BSG was a writer on DS9. Try to ignore Nana Visitor; she tones down a little as the show goes on. Michelle Forbes was supposed to play that role, but she decided not to become typecast in the Star Trek world.

Next Generation has some great episodes in the middle, especially around the Borg (iPad calls them "big Org") invasion, but the beginning and end are weak.

Voyager is horrible, all the way through. It's so bad it's funny, especially the Flotter episodes.

I liked Enterprise. It was fun, and had a good cast.

The best movie is VI: The Undiscovered Country. Praxis is Chernobyl, and Kirk screws Iman, who is not strictly female.

Last edited:
Reactions: jef and hyson

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
ST:TOS is classic
ST:NG is my favourite.
ST:DS9 SUCKS THE BUG ONE
ST:Voyager is OK but has some really lame episodes
ST:Enterprise is interesting. I liked it but I may be the only one.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Yes - DS9 is by far the best of the bunch. A lot of people don't like it because it isn't all happy and uplifting. DS9 always feels more "real" to me. Great writing on this one for the most part.

Early TNG is fairly unbearable, especially the Wesley Crusher episodes, but many gems of shows throughout the series.

Voyager is horrible - but 7 of 9 was hot. Not enough reason to suffer through the show, though.

Enterprise was worse than Voyager. I liked the premise, but it just turned into a formulaic mess. I think the cast was good, but they were given crap to work with. There was a reason it didn't make 7 season like the others.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I would start by watching The Next Generation and go from there. TOS sucks and some of the characters and races in DS9 are introduced in TNG.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yes - DS9 is by far the best of the bunch. A lot of people don't like it because it isn't all happy and uplifting. DS9 always feels more "real" to me. Great writing on this one for the most part.

I didn't like it because it was boring as hell.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They finally gave a woman the keys to a spaceship and she gets them lost? What's up with that?

And yes, 7 of 9 FTW.

1902216-7of9_super.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
seems like most are saying ds9.

. (I'm currently enjoying watching Jeri Ryan [Seven of Nine] strut around in skin tight outfits)

i can not believe that ralph from stern actually banged her. man shes hot.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
You could also watch them by timeline:
Enterprise
The Original Series
Original Series Movies
Next Generation
Next Generation Movies
Deep Space Nine
Voyager
New Star Trek Movie (with scewed timeline)

I liked them all. I would think most people would either like them all or not like any.
I thought the Next Generation had the best non-War with related stories though.

The Original animated series is also available on Netflix.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
TNG and TOS were my big two. I could never get into the others. But I did like the movies better than the series (KAAAAAAAAHN!) and I also like the old actors in other shows (Big Bang Theory with Wil Wheaton and Brent Spiner was hilarious a few weeks back.)

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I bet Koop wants to watch the one with George Takei shirtless, "Oh My!" :hhh:
george_takei_image.jpg

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I liked TOS and TNG

TNG got a little too into the 'corrupt Federation' plot towards the end.

DS9 was always Deep Six Nine to me. A hotel on the edge of space. I really didn't care.

Voyager was: Give a woman the keys to the spaceship - first time out she gets lost. Each episode (that I watched) was: We have a chance to go back across the universe but can't because it'd be unethical and we'd feel bad.

Enterprise - showed just how boring space travel really is.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
I'm a big fan, I would like you to watch all in order of TNG, DS9, Voyager. You already know of TOS and really no story line and SO campy. Also just skip Enterprise, We had 30 years of time line and they just tossed this in at the beginning having NEVER spoken of them before.

In order of goodness DS9 by far, TNG, Voyager gets MUCH better 2nd half of the run, TOS, then Enterprise.

Also if you are in a sifi tv mood, I would recommend Stargate SG1, 10 years, most good, 2 spin offs good to

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
TNG and TOS were my big two. I could never get into the others. But I did like the movies better than the series (KAAAAAAAAHN!) and I also like the old actors in other shows (Big Bang Theory with Wil Wheaton and Brent Spiner was hilarious a few weeks back.)

They also have George Takai on it as well.