Who Am I? Week #502

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Welcome to the 502nd edition of Who Am I?, the weekly game where I dish out a daily clue to a subject and you have to guess who or what it is.

Every day, the clues get easier. The winner of this week's game gets a piece of my gratitude.

This week's subject is a PERSON.

CLUE #1: I created a popular comic strip.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mister scotch guessed Charles Schulz, who launched Peanuts in 1950. I will guess another cartoonist who launched a strip in 1950: Beetle Bailey creator Mort Walker. Beetle's eyes have always been covered by a cap, a hat or a helmet, with one exception. In one strip where he was a college student prior to joining the Army, his eyes were shown:

beetle.jpg

Madison, are you aware of the little girl Bushy in the Mutts comic strip? She was named in tribute to Ernie Bushmiller and has "prickly" hair with a bow in it, same as Nancy.

1579558785854.png

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Did the radio series begin with this warning?: "Ah-ah-ah-ah, don't touch that dial. It's time for.....", followed by Dagwood screaming "Blondie!!!" I'm guessing Chic Young. Blondie's maiden name, by the way, is Boopadoop.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Dick Calkins created the Buck Rogers comic strip, which led to a radio series, several movies and several television series. Did the strip inspire futuristic museums? I don't know. I don't even know if there is such a thing as a "futuristic museum" – but Dick Calkins is my guess.